People from the 6 counties (our wee country)

Started by 02, June 21, 2011, 08:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your preferred nationality? (Choose one)

British
European
Irish
Northern Irish

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dún Dún on June 21, 2011, 11:40:25 PM
Consider myself Irish, born and raised in Belfast but all my grandparents are from the ROI. So an immigrant of sorts. Wouldn't say I'm northern Irish rather from the north of Ireland.

No religion from birth, but a nationalist/republican by choice.

If you are of a certain age then all our grandparents were from Ireland?? (Any Grandparents born pre partition?)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Quote from: boojangles on June 21, 2011, 11:19:29 PM
What age are you and what is consumer culture?

31 and this extract by Fintan O'Toole neatly encapsulates what consumer culture in ROI meant:

The shame comes from knowing that, two years ago, an Irish rugby fan would have thought nothing of paying €85—even though this is over 50 per cent higher than the price of an equivalent ticket in Scotland. Spending was a badge of honour: it proved you were a hero of the boomtime economy. You belonged in one of the world's most enthusiastic (and, in retrospect, gullible) consumer cultures. It was an attitude that combined some of the worst and best of Irish culture. It was fed by an older wildness, generosity, and contempt for the mean and the tight-fisted. But that admirable spirit became distorted into an often demented consumerism. People paid through the nose for everything—and now, with the painful realisation that long-term prosperity was an illusion, comes a buyer's remorse. It is not just that people feel like fools for spending so much, but embarrassed for spending it so easily. Hence the reluctance to pay €85 for rugby, or, for that matter, €3 for a coffee.
O'Neills Therapist

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Cold tea on June 21, 2011, 11:13:22 PM
But if you are caught in a situation abroad, it governs what nationality you are!!! Do we need lessons, or are you still happily appeasing your funny boss!!!

Ah, I had to re-read the posts and see where you're coming from. I thought you were disagreeing with the idea that your nationality is defined by your passport, but you're making the point that it is. It was your reference to the yanks without one that threw me off.

As for "appease", have you left school yet? Because if you haven't, I can assure you that one of the things you're going to learn is that when your boss tells you to do something, it's generally a good idea to make sure you do it. Anything else can have you looking for another job before long.

Cold tea

If my boss tells me to do something that isn't within my terms and conditions of employment or I believe contravenes my rights in any way, I'd be tell him to take a reddner!!  You would need to grow a set kid!

LeoMc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 21, 2011, 11:29:54 PM
Who gives a fcuk what you are?

And why should you really care?

No one stops me from living the life I want to live (wife tries :D :D), go for the jobs I want or express the views I have.

If we continue to get hung up on this then it will only wear you down.

Agree with most of that apart from the bit about your wife unless she is HR in our place!!!

Evil Genius

As far as I'm concerned, the OP misses the point when he asks us to "Choose one" answer for his Poll, since I do not/cannot/will not allow myself to be "pigeon-holed" in that way.

That is, I am "Irish", by virtue of having been born and bred in Ireland, as is obvious the moment I open my mouth!

At the same time, I am "British" eg when I fill in a census, or renew my Passport.

And I am "European" whenever eg I find myself in Africa or Asia etc, or following the Ryder Cup.

Beyond that, I am an "Ulsterman" when the time comes to Stand Up at a rugby game, but a proud "Fermanaghman" whenever a foreigner asks me where is the best place to visit in Ireland. Hell, I'm even an "Englishman" whenever the Ashes are being played (though "Irish" once more when beating England in the Cricket World Cup!)

And when I was young/skint/single, I was whichever of those which offered the best chance of getting a good time/free drink/laid!

How to explain those (apparent) contradictions? Simple: when it comes down to it, I'm "Northern Irish" - the only designation which allows me to be myself i.e. all of the above. Which is perhaps why probably the happiest I've ever been (with my clothes on, at least!) was when David Healy scored that  goal at Windsor Park in 2005 (though maybe Gerry Armstrong edges it after Valencia, 1982?)

Over and above that, I can have no problem with any of my neighbours from NI/the Six Counties (delete as appropriate) choosing a different designation (or combination), so long as they do not try to deny me my choice, or force their own upon me.

P.S. If 'Eammonica1' should be reading, I'm not an "Orangeman", have never been one and have no intention of ever being one.  ::)

P.P.S. I'm also an "Atheist", if that helps  ;)

P.P.P.S. And a "Yiddo" on Saturday afternoons  :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 22, 2011, 12:04:00 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the OP misses the point when he asks us to "Choose one" answer for his Poll, since I do not/cannot/will not allow myself to be "pigeon-holed" in that way.

That is, I am "Irish", by virtue of having been born and bred in Ireland, as is obvious the moment I open my mouth!

At the same time, I am "British" eg when I fill in a census, or renew my Passport.

And I am "European" whenever eg I find myself in Africa or Asia etc, or following the Ryder Cup.

Beyond that, I am an "Ulsterman" when the time comes to Stand Up at a rugby game, but a proud "Fermanaghman" whenever a foreigner asks me where is the best place to visit in Ireland. Hell, I'm even an "Englishman" whenever the Ashes are being played (though "Irish" once more when beating England in the Cricket World Cup!)

And when I was young/skint/single, I was whichever of those which offered the best chance of getting a good time/free drink/laid!

How to explain those (apparent) contradictions? Simple:

It is simple. Youse don't know your asses from your elbows.

Ask a crowd of our ones what they are and they'll all say they're Irish. As ten planters what they are and you'll get ten different answers, some of them as convoluted as the one you just gave concerning yourself.

boojangles

Quote from: 02 on June 22, 2011, 12:04:30 AM
Quote from: boojangles on June 21, 2011, 11:19:29 PM
What age are you and what is consumer culture?

31 and this extract by Fintan O'Toole neatly encapsulates what consumer culture in ROI meant:

The shame comes from knowing that, two years ago, an Irish rugby fan would have thought nothing of paying €85—even though this is over 50 per cent higher than the price of an equivalent ticket in Scotland. Spending was a badge of honour: it proved you were a hero of the boomtime economy. You belonged in one of the world's most enthusiastic (and, in retrospect, gullible) consumer cultures. It was an attitude that combined some of the worst and best of Irish culture. It was fed by an older wildness, generosity, and contempt for the mean and the tight-fisted. But that admirable spirit became distorted into an often demented consumerism. People paid through the nose for everything—and now, with the painful realisation that long-term prosperity was an illusion, comes a buyer's remorse. It is not just that people feel like fools for spending so much, but embarrassed for spending it so easily. Hence the reluctance to pay €85 for rugby, or, for that matter, €3 for a coffee.

So you have a healthy dislike  ??? of Irish Nationality because some people paid 85 euro for a rugby game ticket and because they left nationalists in the North to suffer? Have I got it right?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

How to explain those (apparent) contradictions? Simple: when it comes down to it, I'm "Northern Irish" - the only designation which allows me to be myself i.e. all of the above. Which is perhaps why probably the happiest I've ever been (with my clothes on, at least!) was when David Healy scored that  goal at Windsor Park in 2005 (though maybe Gerry Armstrong edges it after Valencia, 1982?)

Over and above that, I can have no problem with any of my neighbours from NI/the Six Counties (delete as appropriate) choosing a different designation (or combination), so long as they do not try to deny me my choice, or force their own upon me.

P.S. If 'Eammonica1' should be reading, I'm not an "Orangeman", have never been one and have no intention of ever being one.  ::)

P.P.S. I'm also an "Atheist", if that helps  ;)

P.P.P.S. And a "Yiddo" on Saturday afternoons  :D

WTF Are you parents English, were you born in England? Otherwise this is the only one I cannot get my head around.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Cold tea

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 22, 2011, 06:01:17 PM

Ask a crowd of our ones what they are and they'll all say they're Irish. As ten planters what they are and you'll get ten different answers, some of them as convoluted as the one you just gave concerning yourself.

Our ones!!! Do you say it with an American accent?

michaelg

How to explain those (apparent) contradictions? Simple:

Firstly, not sure if I like what seems to be your derogatory use of the term "planter".  Lest we forget, many non-planter "Gaels" were also blow-ins to these shores over the centuries.  In addition, just because protestants / unionists are not homoegeneous / come from different religious denominations / possess the ability to use independent thought, is this necessarily a bad thing?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: michaelg on June 22, 2011, 09:21:17 PM

Firstly, not sure if I like what seems to be your derogatory use of the term "planter".  Lest we forget, many non-planter "Gaels" were also blow-ins to these shores over the centuries.  In addition, just because protestants / unionists are not homoegeneous / come from different religious denominations / possess the ability to use independent thought, is this necessarily a bad thing?

Yes. If they'd drop their delusions of "otherness" from their fellow Irishmen then the political situation on the island would be a whole lot more stable, wouldn't you say?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on June 22, 2011, 08:24:12 PM
AHell, I'm even an "Englishman" whenever the Ashes are being played (though "Irish" once more when beating England in the Cricket World Cup!)
WTF Are you parents English, were you born in England? Otherwise this is the only one I cannot get my head around.

See what I mean? "Ass and elbow" spring to mind.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Cold tea on June 22, 2011, 08:28:38 PM

Our ones!!! Do you say it with an American accent?

No. Why? 

michaelg

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 22, 2011, 09:28:20 PM
Quote from: michaelg on June 22, 2011, 09:21:17 PM

Yes. If they'd drop their delusions of "otherness" from their fellow Irishmen then the political situation on the island would be a whole lot more stable, wouldn't you say?
Why do you think protestants / unionists have, as you put it, "delusions of otherness"?  Protestants / unionists are forever being told that they are Irish.  However, as non catholics who do not speak Irish, do not hold Irish passports and do not follow GAA, it is hardly surprising that Protestants / unionists do not consider themselves to be Irish if they do not meet the generally accepted required criteria.