Oktoberfest

Started by 118cmal, March 25, 2009, 12:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

118cmal

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if any of you have ever went over there for the festival?  Myself and a few of the lads are thinking of going over.  Flights to Munich are next to nothing with Aer Lingus when it's on so we were thinking of booking it!

Where do most people stay while over there?  Can you get day passes for the Beer tents, to save you paying for each beer individually?

stpauls

118cmal,

the flights might be cheap enough but i would doubt there will be too many hotels that haven't already been booked out for it.
you might have a better chance of getting into a hostel if there is a big crowd of you, and you might want to consider camping as well.
there is a huge camp site out at a place called ThalKirchen, and it is very reasonable, as long as you get the weather for it.

with regards to the day pass, unfortunately there is no such thing, but i would be handy alright, saves you having to dip into your pocket everytime you grab a stein, and having to hoke for change. you may need to try and book a table in some of the beer tents, the likes of Augustiner and Franziskaner, but you should be able to get in to most of the others, but you may not get everyone to the same table, depending on the size of your group

if you need any more info, give me a pm.

Dinny Breen

Jaysus it's 14 years since I was at the Oktoefest

bier her bier her bier her bier her
#newbridgeornowhere

under the bar

My mate was asking if I wanted to go on a corporate thing but the tables were a fortune!   He said it's all about which tent you get and the best ones are a fortune to have seats reserved at?  any truth in this?

stpauls

didn't think you needed to pay to reserve a table, possibly for a corporate thing, as you then probably wouldn't have to put your hand in your pocket for anything.

118cmal

Cheers lads, I see on the official website that a litre of beer will cost between €7.80 and €8.30.  What's that - around €4.20 a pint?

Not the cheapest!  Jaysus a day pass would be some job.  

So what way do the tents work?  Can you just go up and fill up whenever you want, or do you have to wait to be served?  Can you stand in the tents, or is it sitting only?

stpauls

the price depends what tent you go into, each tent is owned by one of the different breweries in the city.
you go into the tents and try to grab a table if you want, and i think you can stand but if you are going to be there for a while.
the waitresess then come round with the steins, or mass, and you just call them over if you want one.

some of the waitresess can hold a lot more than that one can though!!

Mid Mon

You couldn't beat it it a big stick.
This will be my 3rd year. I'm going every year
got return flights for belfast fo £35 fly out sat morn and home tue which is long enough.
Check out "The Tent" €18 a night for a bunk bed in the big hall.

118cmal

Cheers Mid Mon, where exactly is this 'The Tent' place?

stpauls

Quote from: Mid Mon on March 25, 2009, 02:55:00 PM
You couldn't beat it it a big stick.
This will be my 3rd year. I'm going every year
got return flights for belfast fo £35 fly out sat morn and home tue which is long enough.
Check out "The Tent" €18 a night for a bunk bed in the big hall.

i heard about the tent, not a place to stay if you want any sleep!!  ;D

Mid Mon

Quote from: 118cmal on March 25, 2009, 02:57:27 PM
Cheers Mid Mon, where exactly is this 'The Tent' place?

Its about 15 mins on the "free" tram from the oktoberfest site

thebandit

Christ, midmon, does your woman know you're going?  :D :D

illdecide

Jasus lads i knocked a thing off one time about 30 min drive from Munich towards the Austrian border, i'll have to drop her an e-mail again and see is she still free and maybe get a freebie to one of these beer gardens :)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Mid Mon

Quote from: thebandit on March 25, 2009, 04:35:39 PM
Christ, midmon, does your woman know you're going?  :D :D

She send d brother with to keep an eye.

118cmal

Quote from: illdecide on March 25, 2009, 05:00:39 PM
Jasus lads i knocked a thing off one time about 30 min drive from Munich towards the Austrian border, i'll have to drop her an e-mail again and see is she still free and maybe get a freebie to one of these beer gardens :)

Aye sure drop her e-mail to us and we can have a rattle at her too