Red or Dead?

Started by Tony Baloney, January 16, 2011, 09:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any using or seriously considering using red diesel in the near future?

Currently on the red.
6 (13.3%)
Considering it if the prices keep rising.
14 (31.1%)
Law abiding citizen.
25 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Hereiam

we couldn't even invade tesco we are that bad.  ;D

AFS

Quote from: Ulick on January 19, 2011, 02:45:29 PM
Right if a man's getting it tight, how would be go about getting some of this multicoloured diesel?

I take it that's from the pump that's usually set aside from the main pumps?
Is green the equivalent of the northern red stuff?
Would I the man just pull up there and make a fill? Do the boys in the shop not say anything?

There'd be certain places where you'd get funnier looks for putting the normal stuff in.

Banana Man

I hate to rain on anyone's parade lads, but i think there has been a bit too much info fired out here, if one of her majesty's finest pops his/her head up there could be problems - just a thought  :-X

Puckoon

The "yanks" are paying about $3.83 a gallon currently.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Which is about $4.61 per European (imperial) gallon Puck (US gallon = 0.83 of European gallon).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bogball XV

Quote from: tyrone girl on January 16, 2011, 10:54:48 PM
Quote from: Cde on January 16, 2011, 10:53:45 PM
Quote from: tyrone girl on January 16, 2011, 10:47:43 PM
Quote from: Cde on January 16, 2011, 10:32:52 PM
how does that work Tg

What ya mean?
do you drive on straight kero or mix it with clear. If so what is the mix and is it legal

Would put 10 and 10 in together - sometimes 12 kero 8 diesel and sometimes other way about depends wat notion takes me. It is not legal
why is it not legal?  I'm ignorant of the whole thing tbh, so forgive my stupidity, but I can't see why this would be illegal.

The Real Laoislad

I thought Agricultural diesel was green
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bogball XV

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 19, 2011, 05:00:56 PM
red in the north.

Fintona,

you also have to factor in the strength of the dollar when comparing pump prices to historic oil prices.  In July 2008 when the peaks were reached, the dollar was about 1.60 to the euro, now it's more commonly about 1.30 to the euro.  Also, duties in the south anyway have gone up by a fixed amount per litre, with that not being dependent on selling price like VAT etc is, that is a larger deteminant on price.

The reason that fuel prices in the US are lower is because govt have taken the decision that it would not be in their best interests to raise more revenue from fuel duties, simply put, car manufacturers would be up in arms and the people might resort to arms.

Puckoon

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 19, 2011, 05:11:14 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 19, 2011, 05:00:56 PM
red in the north.

Fintona,

you also have to factor in the strength of the dollar when comparing pump prices to historic oil prices.  In July 2008 when the peaks were reached, the dollar was about 1.60 to the euro, now it's more commonly about 1.30 to the euro.  Also, duties in the south anyway have gone up by a fixed amount per litre, with that not being dependent on selling price like VAT etc is, that is a larger deteminant on price.

The reason that fuel prices in the US are lower is because govt have taken the decision that it would not be in their best interests to raise more revenue from fuel duties, simply put, car manufacturers would be up in arms and the people might resort to arms.

Careful now, there could be one unhinged American reading this.

Tony Baloney

Right if a man's getting it tight, how would be go about getting some of this multicoloured diesel?

Would I the man just pull up there and make a fill? Do the boys in the shop not say anything?
Also have the same questions! Do you have to go to some backwater filling station as it would surely be conspicuous pulling into a big Texaco. Next thing you know the peelers are pulling in to buy donuts!

66p/litre as opposed to 140p/litre means I'd be saving £37 for a 50 litre fill! Jesus! A fill does me 2 weeks roughly so I'd have my fine covered in 6 months.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 19, 2011, 06:01:13 PM

Also have the same questions! Do you have to go to some backwater filling station as it would surely be conspicuous pulling into a big Texaco. Next thing you know the peelers are pulling in to buy donuts!

66p/litre as opposed to 140p/litre means I'd be saving £37 for a 50 litre fill! Jesus! A fill does me 2 weeks roughly so I'd have my fine covered in 6 months.

Two weeks? f**k a fill only does me about 3-4 days
You'll Never Walk Alone.

lawnseed

be careful some modern diesels with computer fuel management systems have sensors that detect poor quality or incorrect fuel then they set of an alarm and they go to "limp home mode" this will scare the bejesus out of you. your car will not rev out and may not do any more than 30mph bells will ring and in one case i heard of the fukn car kept shouting "you have filled incorrect fuel take me to the nearest dealer" the car continued this until the guy took the car to the dealer even though he drained the red out. 110stg to have the alarm reset on computer and warranty questions
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on January 19, 2011, 10:05:43 PM
be careful some modern diesels with computer fuel management systems have sensors that detect poor quality or incorrect fuel then they set of an alarm and they go to "limp home mode" this will scare the bejesus out of you. your car will not rev out and may not do any more than 30mph bells will ring and in one case i heard of the fukn car kept shouting "you have filled incorrect fuel take me to the nearest dealer" the car continued this until the guy took the car to the dealer even though he drained the red out. 110stg to have the alarm reset on computer and warranty questions
I thought red from the pump was white diesel with a red dye added to distinguish it otherwise chemically they are the same? I'm not talking about some shit you get pumped out of a slurry tanker in Cullyhanna.

delboy

With respect that doesn't ring true, the dyes don't affect the quality of the fuel one ioata, its not poor quality and it doesn't damage the engine, what does screw the car up is 'laundered' fuel which uses acid to remove the colour so it can be sold on as bona fide fuel, fine for making criminals money, not so good for your engine though.

ardal

Quote from: delboy on January 19, 2011, 10:43:46 PM

With respect that doesn't ring true, the dyes don't affect the quality of the fuel one ioata, its not poor quality and it doesn't damage the engine, what does screw the car up is 'laundered' fuel which uses acid to remove the colour so it can be sold on as bona fide fuel, fine for making criminals money, not so good for your engine though.
[/quote

Also though Deweed was speaking his usual, but he doesn't actually mention what type fo fuel. I suppose there'd be a chance that a car will yap if you put in "harmful fuel". Which brand of car has this anyway? What would happen if you put in unleaded 95 and not the cars usual?