3 (27.3%)
correct
2 (18.2%)
Absolutely
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Maguire01

Quote from: andoireabu on January 17, 2011, 10:16:14 PM
If there was a truth commission set up, and everyone signed up and someone asked Gerry was he in the IRA and he said no would you believe him? 
Seriously, would anyone?

Maguire01

Quote from: Zapatista on January 17, 2011, 11:45:49 PM
QuoteFor the vast majority of people, the Queen's visit will be an irrelevance. Some people will be looking for a reason to get annoyed.

Wrong. For the vast majority of people the visit will be very important regardless of their views but they will probably not notice. Kind of like Lisbon and Nice etc. In this case attempting to rewrite history is important to everyone.
Who would be rewriting history? People are just moving on. You sound like the doom merchants when GSTQ was to be played at Croke Park. Did the sky fall in? Did it rewrite the history of Croke Park?

Maguire01

Quote from: Zapatista on January 18, 2011, 08:30:01 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 18, 2011, 08:04:39 AM

Who would be rewriting history? People are just moving on. You sound like the doom merchants when GSTQ was to be played at Croke Park. Did the sky fall in? Did it rewrite the history of Croke Park?

Don't try to connect me to that, it's a cheap shot. I easily ignored that. This State are rewriting history. When Cowen announced this he said 'there is now no obstacle to a Royal visit'. That's the official record and it is wrong. When this is looked back on it will be a mark of history that incorrectly protrays it's time.
I'm not connecting you to anything; i'm drawing a parallel. Some people thought that there were still obstacles there; some didn't.

I'd imagine most people would either welcome the visit or (I suspect the majority) be indifferent to it, as with most state visits; for most people, there would be no obstacle. In that respect, a visit would be an accurate reflection of its time. The level of protest and opposition to any visit would also portray the mood. Cowen's stance (or whoever is in post at the time) will only be one part of the story and the history.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Zapatista on January 18, 2011, 08:30:01 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 18, 2011, 08:04:39 AM

Don't try to connect me to that, it's a cheap shot. I easily ignored that. This State are rewriting history. When Cowen announced this he said 'there is now no obstacle to a Royal visit'. That's the official record and it is wrong. When this is looked back on it will be a mark of history that incorrectly protrays it's time.
Who will be looking at the record books? I'd say the visit (if it happens) will be a non-event for the vast majority of people.

andoireabu

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 17, 2011, 11:27:47 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on January 17, 2011, 10:16:14 PM
If there was a truth commission set up, and everyone signed up and someone asked Gerry was he in the IRA and he said no would you believe him? 
Seriously, would anyone?
Kind of what I was getting at.  People tend to make judgements whether they know the truth or just think they do so a "truth commission" would be nothing but a waste of money.  It might sound bad but inquiries into the past are similar.  The victims families believe their loved ones to be innocent and their view is unlikely to change because some judge says so.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Maguire01

Quote from: Zapatista on January 18, 2011, 10:55:17 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 18, 2011, 04:40:22 PM
Who will be looking at the record books? I'd say the visit (if it happens) will be a non-event for the vast majority of people.

Really? Most people I relay my position to seem very forcefull against me. It seems like they do care. It's not in the best interests of the State to welcome a visit.

The record books aren't important. What is important is that it will send Ireland in a direction without giving proper thought to the consequences. As a sovereign Republic we should show some balls and maturity and demand that the history of this island is addressed properly by all the contributing factions. Britain played an equal part in it. Now we have the engine of the State along with the the moral authority and right to demand to have our history recorded as it happened and for that to happen we will need the full cooperation of all the people of Ireland and every level of the British State. To ignore that now and to call for people to move on by setting an example at the highest level is a disservice to the current republic and any future republic there may or may not be. We will have learnt nothing. I'm all for forgivness but i'm more in favour of the respect of equality between the two states. Unaccountability leads to history repeating itself. It needxs to be nipped in the bud.

As some wise people once wished - Ireland should take her place amoung the nations not in a certain order of nations.
I can't see how it will make any difference to what direction Ireland is going. Especially given that British PMs and other Royals have made numerous visits already.

What actual difference will it make? How will it affect the lives of Irish people? How will it affect Ireland's perception on the world stage?

Hardy

lawnseed

what about the 80 billion liz gave us.. sorry, i mean our beloved bankers. the brits are the best friends we have, they buy all our stuff, give us soccer, x factor, maggy thatcher, the list is endless. they employ tens of thousands of our emmigrants and dont cry about it. seriously if they'd just give us back our 4th green field we'd be the best of mates.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

ardal

"What have the brits ever given us?..................."LOB