Started by DrinkingHarp, January 12, 2011, 04:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

The Subbie

Quote from: stephenite on January 12, 2011, 10:59:20 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 12, 2011, 10:40:53 PM
Not Safe for Work?

Yes, he's in Not safe for work

Figure of speech Stephenite, hard station am all right now but defo was NSW on Monday morning after a feed of coopers on Sunday  ;) not as good as real stout tho

Kimbap

Gone 8 years this coming Paddy's day.Want to come home but can't.Missed all the Celtic Tiger BS and am happy enough with that but want to put down roots in Ireland.Can't see how it can be done now or in the next few years.

anportmorforjfc

TacadoirArdMhacha

Great song. Heard it for the first time in the Scór last year. Not sure how I'd missed it before.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

David McKeown

Regret not leaving three years ago when I had somewhere to go and no commitments here.  Bit too difficult to leave now although I would like to
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Puckoon

I am kind of the reverse David. I kind of regret leaving and the committments I now have will keep me away for the rest of what Ive got left - but maybe its no bad thing given the current state of things back home.

ludermor

In london for the last 6 months

stephenite

Quote from: The Subbie on January 12, 2011, 11:07:57 PM
Quote from: stephenite on January 12, 2011, 10:59:20 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 12, 2011, 10:40:53 PM
Not Safe for Work?

Yes, he's in Not safe for work

Figure of speech Stephenite, hard station am all right now but defo was NSW on Monday morning after a feed of coopers on Sunday  ;) not as good as real stout tho

Figure of speech, I knew that but for Tasmania, never heard used it in reference to the Aussie mainland before, there you go I've learnt something new today

FL/MAYO

Gone over 25 years, plan to return in the next 10. I like most other immigrants on this site will always have that yearning for Ireland. Just awful that immigration is a huge topic again.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 12, 2011, 11:26:18 PM
Great song. Heard it for the first time in the Scór last year. Not sure how I'd missed it before.

Kilkelly, Ireland (County Mayo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N76kAivCb20

Poor old Kilkelly was in the notorious East Mayo unemployment black triangle during the 1980's, looks like the wheel turns yet again, 2011.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on January 13, 2011, 12:36:44 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 12, 2011, 11:26:18 PM

Kilkelly, Ireland (County Mayo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N76kAivCb20

Poor old Kilkelly was in the notorious East Mayo unemployment black triangle during the 1980's, looks like the wheel turns yet again, 2011.

Great Song indeed, have a friend from Kilkelly her brother left for Sydney for a few months 3 years ago & has recently got engaged & he doesn't look likely to come home anytime soon.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AlriteHorse

Away almost 3 years! ( Just after realising that....thought it was nearly 2  :-[ / :o:D )

Was just outta Uni a year, in a job I wasn't too fussed on and I was pretty much underpaid as far as I could see.

Sponsored in Oz in a pretty good job. Cash is average but getting my 2nd promotion in less than a year in the coming weeks so cash should be a fair bit better. More concerned about getting the good experience the job's giving me as I intend on being home in the next few years.
Allez les bleus! Forza azzurri!

Hardy

My younger son leaves for Perth, Australia at the end of this month. I always advised him and his brother to travel when they were young. But that was with the assumption that it would be travel with the certainty of returning. I was grateful that my lads grew up as something of a golden generation that was the first in a few centuries that would not have to emigrate to make a living. How wrong I was.

100% of the class of 2008 in his subject (Architectural Technology) had jobs secured before they graduated. Not one of the class of 2010 had.

My son is going with the intention of retuning. But I know enough of our history to know that nearly every emigrant departs with the same intention and only a small proportion of them manage to realise it. Reading this thread reinforces that knowledge.

I have conflicting feelings about it. I envy him the adventure and the wonder of discovery he will experience as I did when I got more education in my summers in New York than in the rest of the year in UCD. I dread the gnawing homesickness he may experience as I did in soulless St Albans, England when I thought that might be my life forever.

Most of all I'm angry and depressed, both with the fecklessness and corruption that have brought our society back to the dark days of the past and with myself for my failure to prevent this necessity from arising. But any temptation to feel sorry for myself is quickly overcome when I think of the Harte/McAreavey family.

Hound

Quote from: Hardy on January 13, 2011, 09:39:49 AM
My younger son leaves for Perth, Australia at the end of this month. I always advised him and his brother to travel when they were young. But that was with the assumption that it would be travel with the certainty of returning. I was grateful that my lads grew up as something of a golden generation that was the first in a few centuries that would not have to emigrate to make a living. How wrong I was.

100% of the class of 2008 in his subject (Architectural Technology) had jobs secured before they graduated. Not one of the class of 2010 had.

My son is going with the intention of retuning. But I know enough of our history to know that nearly every emigrant departs with the same intention and only a small proportion of them manage to realise it. Reading this thread reinforces that knowledge.

That's tough Hardy and I wish him the best of luck. Certainly not looking forward to if/when that day comes for me! Has he a job in his chosen field lined up or is he just going over in the hope that something is more likely to turn up over there?