US Congresswoman and some of her staff shot

Started by muppet, January 08, 2011, 06:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 17, 2011, 02:20:37 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 15, 2011, 09:11:09 PM
they are all equally liable to be pilloried for it.
If only Fear... That's my point right there in a nut shell!

So go ahead, post away TO, what are you waiting for?

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 17, 2011, 02:20:37 AM
Quoteor how anyone's supposed to adhere to it?
Eh... actually making Liberty and individual freedom a top priority would be a great place to start I'd say rather than just rapping themselves in the banner whilst attempting to control every inch of our lives here  :-\

Like the liberty and individual freedom to be able to purchase a lethal weapon, regardless of how unhinged you might be, and then to shoot a few folk up? Doesn't sound like they're trying to control too many inches of folks' lives to me.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tyrones own

QuoteSo go ahead, post away TO, what are you waiting for?
but sure then I'd be as bad as you lot, I don't hate anybody ... why are ye boys so heavily
skewed is the question if they are all equally liable to be pilloried for it is to actually be believed?
Like the liberty and individual freedom to be able to purchase a lethal weapon, regardless of how unhinged you might be, and then to shoot a few folk up? Doesn't sound like they're trying to control too many inches of folks' lives to me.
There are evil deranged monsters in all walks of life who will commit horrible crimes regardless of the right to bear arms,
Do ye boy's actually believe it possible to remove all fire arms from society anyway? if so, how?
and how do ye explain the crime rate being lower in general in states with concealed permits?

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 17, 2011, 05:29:13 PM
QuoteSo go ahead, post away TO, what are you waiting for?
but sure then I'd be as bad as you lot, I don't hate anybody ... why are ye boys so heavily skewed is the question if they are all equally liable to be pilloried for it is to actually be believed?

You have poured your quota of vitriol at times on this site, it won't be hard to find.

Does it ever occur that we're 'so heavily skewed' because it's mainly those of a certain political hue that persistently come out with such asinine blatherings? And I'll ask you again, why don't you address what they say when what they say is attacked on this board, rather than invariably attacking the poster?

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 17, 2011, 05:29:13 PM
There are evil deranged monsters in all walks of life who will commit horrible crimes regardless of the right to bear arms,
Do ye boy's actually believe it possible to remove all fire arms from society anyway? if so, how?
and how do ye explain the crime rate being lower in general in states with concealed permits?

So explain to me then, how are they attempting to "control every inch of your lives"?

Regarding arms in the US and the bearing thereof, I take it you're in favour of the NRA's stance?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Eamonnca1

The right has gotten very defensive about this one. In the wake of every shooting rampage (something tat seems to be a semi-regular event in the USA but almost unheard of elsewhere) they immediately get their retaliation in first saying "How dare anyone use this tragedy to take our guns away." This one is no different, except that this time they're also adding in the new defence "How dare anyone blame political rhetoric for this tragedy."

I've looked into this one, and it looks like the political climate had less to do with this incident than one man's mental illness and a system that failed to keep guns out of his hands.  However that doesn't change the fact that political discourse in this country is still way out of hand. 

Here's what cracks me up. The right likes to argue that Americans live in the most free society in the world and have the least intrusive government in the world. But do they? America locks up a far greater proportion of its population than any other developed country. It has a prison industrial complex that has a hand in drafting some pretty draconian laws that see even non-violent offenders being jailed for years. Minor offences like importing plants that happen to be on an obscure endangered list can have federal agents bursting your door down and hauling you away in cuffs to begin a lengthy prison term. And yet the "lock em up and throw away the key" approach, which is the biggest threat to American liberty, is most vocally supported by the right.

Draconian laws aside, the level of government involvement in peoples' lives in America is probably a whole lot less than in most countries. What level of government structure that does exist is under appreciated. When you fill up at the gas pump, you're being protected from being ripped off by oil companies by the county department of weights and measures which inspects gas pumps and makes sure that you're actually being charged for the amount of gas that you're pumping. Speed limits prevent you from getting killed by speeding teenagers in their rice rockets on the freeway.  The Centers for Disease Control, the Food and Drug Administration, the Environmental Protection Agency and other government departments have made huge contributions to keeping the people safer and healthier, something that only government has the power to do. But if the right had their way, these agencies would all be closed down and we'd be at the mercy of profit-making corporations who's only incentive is to make a profit irrespective of whether or not that coincides with the public interest.

I find it interesting that whenever someone suggests that we should take steps to keep guns out of the hands of people with a history of criminal behaviour or mental illness, the right pipes up about "government interference in every aspect of our lives."  But as soon as some people try to cross the border from Mexico to equalise the supply and demand equation for cheap labour, the  "free market is God" right starts piping up about how suddenly "we are a nation of laws and government should step in and do something about this." Nice consistency there, right wingers. You're either for the rule of law or you're not. You're either for the free market or you're not. Make up your mind.

Oh, and there's no correlation one way or another between gun crime and gun control.

muppet

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 17, 2011, 08:32:28 PM
The right has gotten very defensive about this one. In the wake of every shooting rampage (something tat seems to be a semi-regular event in the USA but almost unheard of elsewhere) they immediately get their retaliation in first saying "How dare anyone use this tragedy to take our guns away." This one is no different, except that this time they're also adding in the new defence "How dare anyone blame political rhetoric for this tragedy."

I've looked into this one, and it looks like the political climate had less to do with this incident than one man's mental illness and a system that failed to keep guns out of his hands.  However that doesn't change the fact that political discourse in this country is still way out of hand. 

Here's what cracks me up. The right likes to argue that Americans live in the most free society in the world and have the least intrusive government in the world. But do they? America locks up a far greater proportion of its population than any other developed country. It has a prison industrial complex that has a hand in drafting some pretty draconian laws that see even non-violent offenders being jailed for years. Minor offences like importing plants that happen to be on an obscure endangered list can have federal agents bursting your door down and hauling you away in cuffs to begin a lengthy prison term. And yet the "lock em up and throw away the key" approach, which is the biggest threat to American liberty, is most vocally supported by the right.

Draconian laws aside, the level of government involvement in peoples' lives in America is probably a whole lot less than in most countries. What level of government structure that does exist is under appreciated. When you fill up at the gas pump, you're being protected from being ripped off by oil companies by the county department of weights and measures which inspects gas pumps and makes sure that you're actually being charged for the amount of gas that you're pumping. Speed limits prevent you from getting killed by speeding teenagers in their rice rockets on the freeway.  The Centers for Disease Control, the Food and Drug Administration, the Environmental Protection Agency and other government departments have made huge contributions to keeping the people safer and healthier, something that only government has the power to do. But if the right had their way, these agencies would all be closed down and we'd be at the mercy of profit-making corporations who's only incentive is to make a profit irrespective of whether or not that coincides with the public interest.

I find it interesting that whenever someone suggests that we should take steps to keep guns out of the hands of people with a history of criminal behaviour or mental illness, the right pipes up about "government interference in every aspect of our lives."  But as soon as some people try to cross the border from Mexico to equalise the supply and demand equation for cheap labour, the  "free market is God" right starts piping up about how suddenly "we are a nation of laws and government should step in and do something about this." Nice consistency there, right wingers. You're either for the rule of law or you're not. You're either for the free market or you're not. Make up your mind.

Oh, and there's no correlation one way or another between gun crime and gun control.

You forgot to mention how the right are quite happy for their government to interfere in every aspect of the lives of people in other countries, but not their own. This is the greatest hypocrisy for me.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

QuoteYou have poured your quota of vitriol at times on this site, it won't be hard to find.
You're absolutely right but then unlike you, I don't deny my stance!
QuoteDoes it ever occur that we're 'so heavily skewed' because it's mainly those of a certain political hue that persistently come out with such asinine blatherings?
You don't actually believe that do you  ::) unless of course it's seriously biased information you're receiving :-X
QuoteAnd I'll ask you again, why don't you address what they say when what they say is attacked on this board, rather than invariably attacking the poster?
Why would I ? Sure it was nothing more than the left running with a nothing angle of a hyped up character assassination of Palin once again..which might I
add, they've backed off of... but sure ye lads will continue the good fight regardless.

And I'll ask ye again... how do ye suppose they go about removing all guns from society?
QuoteSo explain to me then, how are they attempting to "control every inch of your lives"?
Have a read of the Communist manifesto and see if you can't draw parallels of the policies of this administration  :o
QuoteRegarding arms in the US and the bearing thereof, I take it you're in favour of the NRA's stance?
Absolutely...after all it is the right that ensures all other rights!!
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 17, 2011, 08:32:28 PM

:D I stopped right there!
What blog did you cut and paste this out of  ::)
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

You forgot to mention how the right are quite happy for their government to interfere in every aspect of the lives of people in other countries,
Actually no... I'd be quite content for them all to come home and guard our own borders and let the rest go to Fcuk  ;D
  - Walter Lippmann

Eamonnca1

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 18, 2011, 06:13:04 AM
You forgot to mention how the right are quite happy for their government to interfere in every aspect of the lives of people in other countries,
Actually no... I'd be quite content for them all to come home and guard our own borders and let the rest go to Fcuk  ;D

And swap the military budget for a healthcare one?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

a oinseach

the US right have all tried to paint Loughner as a disturbed individual who acted without any input from anyone but following the passing of Obama's health act 10 Democrat reps were sent death threats. One had a noose sent to his home.
This  extremist atmosphere was fed  by the likes of Glenn Beck and Palin.   

seafoid

http://kateclinton.com/edukate/calumnys-culmination-the-progressive-32410/

"But listening to my 100% fact-free, FOX-infused tea-bagging fellow citizens, I feel as if I am foaming at the mouth in an Otto-men empire, barely holding back a good string of blush inducing invective.

"Why can't I call them stupid?" I whine. My dear galpal advises caution, saying it's not a matter of stupidity but class. And they might eat your fish.

I think it's racism tarted up as class. Just look at the pictures. Or watch Congress on CSPAN. If I had been in Nancy Pelosi's double-knits, I'm not sure I would have had such gavel restraint.

When Otto tells Wendy, his partner in crime played by Jamie Lee Curtis, not to call him stupid, she says, "Why on earth not?"

Indeed. The months of shameful tea-bagging behavior, goaded on by media rogues and the proud do-nothing Republiban Party had quite a culmination at the end of the health care reform debate.
First, you had the sight of tea-baggers calling civil rights hero Rep. John Lewis the "N" word.

Then they spat on another black Rep., Emmanuel Cleaver.

When Rep. Barney Frank walked by, they hurled a nasty homophobic name at him.

But that wasn't the end of it. After the historic vote, someone threw a brick through the office window of Rep. Louise Slaughter. And her office received death threats against members of Congress and their kids. Rep. James Clyburn, the most senior black member of Congress, was faxed a noose. At least eight other Democrats reported threats or vandalism
"
March 2010

But Loughner was just an isolated nut. Wrong.

Declan

Tyrones own

"Passionate hatred gives meaning and purpose to an empty life"
  - Walter Lippmann