Unemployed & Benefits

Started by illdecide, January 04, 2011, 12:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

I will soon be unemployed (haven't been told yet but i know it's coming) and i was wondering what benefits i would be entitled too, i have 2 kids and a wife who only works 16 hours a week (small wage). I have been in constant employment for 21 years...

The Southern Brethren can add to this to compare what North get compared to South

There may well be a thread similar to this so sorry in advance...

P.S. I work in Civil Engineering (Consultants) and the construction industry is dead (you already know this) but apparently manufacturing has picked up? Can this lead onto the Construction Industry improving or not?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Hereiam

In the same boat Illdecide. Got my months notice on the 23rd December which was nice of them. Have an 18month old and another baby on the way. Have been lookin into the benefits and its not good. Working tax credits will be cut or won't get anything as i wont be working although the wife is. The dole is approx £65 which is for 6 months and then they means test you after that. The best thing for me to do is divorce the wife have her as a single parent as she will get all the benefits of the day. The honest man gets screwed as always.

illdecide

I heard that's the only way to go (Separate or pretend to separate) to get a few quid out of them but she's adamant that she'll not go down that road. What the hell are you meant to do with £65 a week. At the minute we don't get working tax credits but get a massive £33 a month Child Tax Credit so they can take that and it wouldn't be missed...I'll assume you don't get any help with your mortgage like they used to do?

Do u still pay rates and TV licence when unemployed? The fecking rates is £125 a month >:(
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Hereiam

Dont know haven't paid my rates for last year yet. Mightin bother. The tv licence will not be paid simple as that. Have no mortgage. Was in the process of gettin one but thats on hold now. Its not lookin good for 2011 but will try an keep the chin up as something might come along.

EC Unique

Not nice lads. Best of luck to you both.

RealSpiritof98

Probably best looking for a part-time job now, something down the local pub/shop about 12hours a week, so when you do get the chop it will favour you when you apply for tax credits. Although your tax will be terrible in the meantime.

Banana Man

sad news lads, try and keep the chin up

it's sickening though to think you have worked all your life, paid your stamps then get less than some single tart who dropped the wegs on the first time of asking and got filled, that's the problem with the country, honesty gets you fu*k all  :'(

nrico2006

Quote from: Banana Man on January 04, 2011, 03:09:40 PM
sad news lads, try and keep the chin up

it's sickening though to think you have worked all your life, paid your stamps then get less than some single tart who dropped the wegs on the first time of asking and got filled, that's the problem with the country, honesty gets you f**k all  :'(

Well said, I know a load of women who have two kids with different men and who are now single parents.  One in particular gets the rent paid for, gets a hefty amount via Child Tax credits, gets the dole and got knows what else (Maintenance) and has the best of stuff, and was just back last from her second 2 week foreign holiday since August.  I have seen a lot of cases lately where a married couple with 4 kids receive around £22k a year on benefits, and the Husband (or Wife) refuses to work because what they will earn based on their qualifications willl amount to basically the same that they get on benefits - that is the major problem in the Country now, the benefits were intended for those who could not get work, they should not be an option for those who earn a small wage to pack in their jobs and get the same money for doing nothing.  But how do the government combat this situation and differentiate between the spongers and those who actually are out there trying to find work? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bailestil

Isn't this the big thing with Ian Duncan Smith and the tories at the minute.
They said the system will be changed so that it will always pay more to work.

(you would have this would have been an obvious way for any system to work, but suppose it was an easy way for Labour to buy votes. )

Worked with a single mum once, who said she would only have lost £1kpa if she didn't work. Fair play to her to continue to work when it was hardly worth it. No wonder so many don't.

seafoid

Why can't the devolved NI government improve dole to more humane levels? Who can live on £65 a week?
It's hard enough on €200.

They might be looking at opening workhouses again if the economy doesn't pick up.  Thatcherism is pure evil.
How much tax did Vodafone avoid in its recent deal with HMRC? Something to think about
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tony Baloney

Quote from: seafoid on January 04, 2011, 03:52:07 PM
Why can't the devolved NI government improve dole to more humane levels? Who can live on £65 a week?

They might be looking at opening workhouses again if the economy doesn't pick up.  Thatcherism is pure evil.
How much tax did Vodafone avoid in its recent deal with HMRC? Something to think about
Where do you suggest they get the extra money from? There are people working in the north would love to bring home 200 a week so dry your eyes.

bailestil

Why can't the devolved NI government improve dole to more humane levels?
Haha the Council on the hill,? they will be lucky to get the plastic bag tax organised never mind tackle Social Security.

God forbid they did have the powers to do anything. Sinn Fein might come up with more hilarious ideas like txt messaging taxes.  ::)

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2011, 03:54:42 PM

There are people working in the north would love to bring home 200 a week so dry your eyes.

I don't believe you. Who are these people and how many of them are they? 200 pw is just
north of £10,000 per annum. Or £5 per hour. Who earns less than that?   

Average income for the Mainland is £22,000 or something .

Tax avoidance would fund decent social welfare benefits. Otherwise low levels just drive people into the black economy.
The UK has a savagely backward attitude to the nouveau poor. And it's all their fault, of course. Nothing to do with the banks.     
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bailestil

Quote from: seafoid on January 04, 2011, 04:06:47 PM
There are people working in the north would love to bring home 200 a week so dry your eyes.

I don't believe you. Who are these people and how many of them are they? 200 pw is just
north of £10,000 per annum. Or £5 per hour. Who earns less than that?   

Average income for the Mainland is £22,000 or something .

Tax avoidance would fund decent social welfare benefits. Otherwise low levels just drive people into the black economy.
The UK has a savagely backward attitude to the nouveau poor. And it's all their fault, of course. Nothing to do with the banks.   

£10,000 is what you would get in the average call-centre in the north.

All of a Sludden

You can`t be serious, no one would work for £40 a day. The lowest wage I know of is €500 per week, otherwise the dole would be a better option.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.