FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: HiMucker on December 18, 2022, 08:56:59 PM
De Paul was amazing and seems a really good fella, especially with all the charity work he does
Seemed like a nasty little diver on the field. McAllister was immense today I thought.

seafoid

After years of seeing Real Madrid winning the Champions League it was great to see Messi win the World Cup for Argentina. 2 very different concepts.

HiMucker

Quote from: seafoid on December 18, 2022, 10:06:41 PM
After years of seeing Real Madrid winning the Champions League it was great to see Messi win the World Cup for Argentina. 2 very different concepts.
Yeah the poor bastard has only won the four himself

nrico2006

MacAllister has Scottish ancestry not Irish.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jell 0 Biafra

Can't speak to the accuracy of it, but according to this he has Irish roots.

Argentina actually has the 4th or 5th highest population of Irish descent in the world,so it wouldn't be surprising.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/irish-roots-of-argentinas-world-cup-winner-alexis-mac-allister-244741

never kickt a ball

World Cup 2022: Argentina's Alexis Mac Allister has roots in county Antrim village

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64011522

HiMucker

He's not irish until we hear him singing celtic symphony chorus!

laoislad

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 18, 2022, 11:38:31 PM
Can't speak to the accuracy of it, but according to this he has Irish roots.

Argentina actually has the 4th or 5th highest population of Irish descent in the world,so it wouldn't be surprising.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/irish-roots-of-argentinas-world-cup-winner-alexis-mac-allister-244741
The cottage he's ancestors left is apparently still standing in Donabate in Dublin.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Shamrock Shore

Most Argentinians with any Irish blood come from Longford/Westmeath/Offaly. After the famine a shedload went over there.

I did one of this MyHeritage DNA thingys and not one distant relative have I in Argentina.

Amazingly I do have a distant distant cousin in Botswana.

johnnycool

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 19, 2022, 08:59:26 AM
Most Argentinians with any Irish blood come from Longford/Westmeath/Offaly. After the famine a shedload went over there.

I did one of this MyHeritage DNA thingys and not one distant relative have I in Argentina.

An old uncle in the missioners?
;)

laoislad

Longford and Botswana, neither a hurling stronghold...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mike Tyson

Too young to remember anything pre Euro 96, so for me this was the best international tournament I've watched for excitement, surprises and pure entertainment. The final round of group stage matches was great fun. The final a fitting end to the tournament - I don't think I've enjoyed a match as much before and certainly was the best final I can ever remember from any tournament.

Argentina certainly got the rub of the green at various points in the tournament but don't think anyone could argue they didn't deserve to win it. Messi certainly deserved the golden ball this tournament and nice to see him finally get land the big one.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: johnnycool on December 19, 2022, 09:06:25 AM

An old uncle in the missioners?
;)

Could well have been!!

Well worth doing one of these tests.
No famous long distant cousins found so far.............

A paternity riddle was solved from my home town from the early 40s recently due to MyAncestry. Mad stuff.

Maroon Manc

Hardly a mention of Scaloni, won a world cup with the worst set of players going back to the last time they won it in 86. He got so much right since the first game including starting Di Maria last night who was outstanding.