Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Great win, United very good on counter attack and we looked like scoring every time we crossed the halfway line.

The majority of De Gea's saves were nothing special, his save from Lukaku and the double save at 2-1 show why he's on of the world top keeper if not the best but Arsenal didn't create anything like the clear cut chances some of the media have made out. United need to get Lukaku, Pogba & Martial working harder when United don't have the ball. Pogba far too often lets a player run of the back of him which was the cause of Arsenal's goal yesterday although Rojo didn't cover himself in glory although it does look like he thought Smalling was trying to play offside when he was getting closer to his marker.

Pogba was very unlucky, good to see some of the pundits talk a bit of sense, its far from a clear cut decisions. Bellerin has made a challenge in a very unorthodox position; I just don't see what Pogba is supposed to do, he's flicked the ball and because of where Bellerin is I just don't see what else he can do with is right foot. I can see why the ref has sent him off but I hope United appeal, its not a reckless challenge and doubt it was deliberate.

Arsenal should have had a pen and Koscielny should have seen red, there was no way Bellerin was close enough to stop Lukaku from from getting a shot in on goal.

There's plenty of positives to take from the way United have played the last 2 games but I'm sure Jose is going to demand more from certain players when we're not in possession. United are still a work iin progress.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 03, 2017, 12:45:21 PM
Great win, United very good on counter attack and we looked like scoring every time we crossed the halfway line.

The majority of De Gea's saves were nothing special, his save from Lukaku and the double save at 2-1 show why he's on of the world top keeper if not the best but Arsenal didn't create anything like the clear cut chances some of the media have made out. United need to get Lukaku, Pogba & Martial working harder when United don't have the ball. Pogba far too often lets a player run of the back of him which was the cause of Arsenal's goal yesterday although Rojo didn't cover himself in glory although it does look like he thought Smalling was trying to play offside when he was getting closer to his marker.

Pogba was very unlucky, good to see some of the pundits talk a bit of sense, its far from a clear cut decisions. Bellerin has made a challenge in a very unorthodox position; I just don't see what Pogba is supposed to do, he's flicked the ball and because of where Bellerin is I just don't see what else he can do with is right foot. I can see why the ref has sent him off but I hope United appeal, its not a reckless challenge and doubt it was deliberate.

Arsenal should have had a pen and Koscielny should have seen red, there was no way Bellerin was close enough to stop Lukaku from from getting a shot in on goal.

There's plenty of positives to take from the way United have played the last 2 games but I'm sure Jose is going to demand more from certain players when we're not in possession. United are still a work iin progress.
I really hope so too, because there's no chance of beating City if Pogba isn't playing.

imtommygunn

Quote from: HiMucker on December 03, 2017, 12:18:47 PM
I dont know.  I've watched that incident a number of times now.   I think it was a deliberate moment of madness.  I accept that it could be interpreted differently, but that's how it looked to me.  Only pogba will know for sure.

Yeah i thought it looked very deliberate. Even the commentators were saying they thought it could have been retribution for bellerin (it was bellerin wasn't it?) cleaning young out. Couldn't see it being overturned.

David McKeown

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 03, 2017, 01:01:34 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on December 03, 2017, 12:18:47 PM
I dont know.  I've watched that incident a number of times now.   I think it was a deliberate moment of madness.  I accept that it could be interpreted differently, but that's how it looked to me.  Only pogba will know for sure.

Yeah i thought it looked very deliberate. Even the commentators were saying they thought it could have been retribution for bellerin (it was bellerin wasn't it?) cleaning young out. Couldn't see it being overturned.

May well have been deliberate but I think that little flicking movement towards the ball showed it wasn't. I think if he had been after retribution he would have made a far more forceful and deliberate movement towards Bellerin. His foot never deviated in direction from the line of the ball. That said it's one of those ones that's hard to call and only Pogba will know for sure. I think though the result made it look far worse than it was.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

nrico2006

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 03, 2017, 12:45:21 PM

Agreed on Pogba. Bellerins leg was in a funny place, Pogba didnt have much time to change what he was in the middleof doing
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jeepers Creepers

If utd appeal his red, he will get longer.Stupid challenge. Absolutly no need. Never took his eye of bellerin. Hopefully udt wont suffer to much from his suspension but going by his previous lay off...

Boycey

He never looks at Bellerin at all only has eyes for the ball.

Why would he get longer?

United will probably appeal but I'd not expect it to succeed. I think it's only a one game suspension unless they consider it violent conduct.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Boycey on December 03, 2017, 10:05:14 PM

Why would he get longer?

United will probably appeal but I’d not expect it to succeed. I think it’s only a one game suspension unless they consider it violent conduct.

The FA usually add an extra game on for a frivolous appeal. It will more than likely be 3 match ban and considered as violent conduct.

Lucky for Manchester City they will face their neighbours without one of their best players.

StGallsGAA

any appeal chance disappeared when he started clapping the decision.  forget it.

Boycey

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 03, 2017, 10:21:12 PM

Why would he get longer?

United will probably appeal but I'd not expect it to succeed. I think it's only a one game suspension unless they consider it violent conduct.

The FA usually add an extra game on for a frivolous appeal. It will more than likely be 3 match ban and considered as violent conduct.

Lucky for Manchester City they will face their neighbours without one of their best players.

That rule was done away with years ago.

Didn't see the post match show on BT last night so didn't hear what they made of it but unusually for me I caught a bit of MOTD and 2 of the 3 on it reckoned it was momentum that caused it and if I picked it up right Wright didn't even think it was a red card. I think Lineker even tweeted similar during the match. The couple of papers I saw today weren't sure either and Twitter was a mixed bag with some wanted him hung, drawn and quartered and others reckon he should get off.

Wasn't sure so I checked there, Mane got 3 games so I'd expect Pogba to get 3 also then  :-\

screenexile

The Lukaku incident was not a red. The player has to be running towards the goal and Lukaku was heading towards the corner therefore no red card.

Didn't stop the United fans in the bar shouting at Graham Poll in the TV and telling him he was a cheating bastard and wrong... A lovely bunch Utd fans!

TabClear

Quote from: Boycey on December 03, 2017, 10:38:59 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 03, 2017, 10:21:12 PM

Why would he get longer?

That rule was done away with years ago.

Didn't see the post match show on BT last night so didn't hear what they made of it but unusually for me I caught a bit of MOTD and 2 of the 3 on it reckoned it was momentum that caused it and if I picked it up right Wright didn't even think it was a red card. I think Lineker even tweeted similar during the match. The couple of papers I saw today weren't sure either and Twitter was a mixed bag with some wanted him hung, drawn and quartered and others reckon he should get off.

Wasn't sure so I checked there, Mane got 3 games so I'd expect Pogba to get 3 also then  :-\

Think thats the key precedent there. The Mane ban effectively takes intent out of the equation so hard to see how it could be overturned. FWIW I dont think it was a deliberate stamp but he definitely did not help himself with the clapping.

magpie seanie

Quote from: screenexile on December 04, 2017, 08:15:21 AM
The Lukaku incident was not a red. The player has to be running towards the goal and Lukaku was heading towards the corner therefore no red card.

Didn't stop the United fans in the bar shouting at Graham Poll in the TV and telling him he was a cheating b**tard and wrong... A lovely bunch Utd fans!

This is unbelievable. I've never heard of soccer supporters doing anything like this before. Shame on them. Think of the children.

magpie seanie

Super result and a badly needed one. Arsenal can consider themselves a little unfortunate but it's not really surprising that United were more clinical. When I hear Pogba was sent off I was thinking "the stupid eejit" but when I saw the incident I felt he was a little unlucky. I hope they appeal it as I think there's a chance it could get overturned. As others have rightly stated - he flicked the ball and just had to land on Bellerin's leg. It wasn't dangerous. Bellerin put himself in an unorthodox and bad position.

Not convinced about the Lukaku one but Arsenal should have had a penalty - very hard to understand how it was missed.

Must beat City. They've been lees awesome over the last few weeks and Arsenal is the ideal prep for that game.

Boycey

No appeal, three match ban starting at the weekend. It's about par for the course...