Mayo v Armagh- Round 3 Qualifier

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 24, 2019, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Itchy on June 29, 2019, 08:35:09 PM
Shields a liability, least he's not diving today I suppose.

First part is true however he doesn't dive

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 29, 2019, 09:19:14 PM
McLoughlin is some man to get away with multiple steps. Those small ones must be hard for refs to count.

Ah, anyone worth his salt is at it! It's rife and one of my pet hates. Especially in front of goals.

tonto1888

A good game. Well done Mayo. Really hope you make it to the super 8s and beyond. We can talk about the ref, and I agree he gave some soft frees to mayo, but it wasn't him that tripped McLoughlin up off the ball taking a very hard to score free to a very hard to miss free. That out two in it and was ultimately the winning of the game for mayo.
We have undoubtedly improved this year but we need a keeper and a full back. Dunno what Grimley was at at the end. Really think we left that one behind, unlike Roscommon last year, and it'll be a while getting over it

Farrandeelin

Criminal the amount of possession we gave away. Stumbling onwards. Still in it just about. More anon.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

balladmaker

I'll sum it up in two points imo:

1: Deegan gave Mayo their frees far handier than Armagh got theirs.  Surely there has to be a referee's panel reviewing such ref. performances.

2: Armagh / Mayo backs & forwards started tangling when free was awarded further out, Deegan saw fit to move free from unlikely scoring position to likely scoring position, and that was that.

Armagh left that game behind (in part due to Maurice Deegan).  As much as I'd now love to see Mayo win an All Ireland, that opportunity has passed for this group of players I feel.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2019, 09:23:52 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 29, 2019, 09:09:03 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 29, 2019, 09:02:22 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 29, 2019, 08:56:41 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 29, 2019, 08:54:12 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 29, 2019, 08:38:39 PM
Armagh will probably have some major regrets here.

Two goal chances in 2nd half. One saved off the post and one over the bar.
You think? Mayo can thank their lucky stars that they came through that game by the skin of their teeth.

Maybe! Maybe they are just postponing the inevitable. Then again Cork, Cavan, Galway and Meath await. Nothing there to send shivers down ones spine!

That was the real test. Galway and Cavan are tricky assignments but I'd expect Mayo to get past Cork or Meath fairly handy although you never know with Mayo.

I expect Mayo's next game to be a part of a double header in Croke Park. Mayo love playing in Croke Park and Headquarters will want them to get to the Super 8's. We were a big loss to revenue last year! And revenue is badly needed to keep funding Project Dublin GAA.

The GAA doesn't care about competition but that is what puts arses on seats
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/seán-moran-all-things-must-pass-even-dublin-s-dominance-1.3618397

« For all the talk about how poor a spectacle football has become and especially in comparison to hurling, people generally attend matches when they think the contest will be competitive, and that was missing this year because Dublin's closest adversaries, Mayo and Kerry, had regressive years.

There is anxiety over the poorest semi-finals attendance in eight years and the lowest of any year featuring Dublin in the last four since the new stadium was built »

Yeah, the Gaa will try and have Mayo in the Super 8's. If they are on the same side as Dublin that would be bonus territory. The Dublin and Mayo fans would turn up in numbers on memories of games of old. Dublin would enjoy putting the heal to our throat one last time. Mayo supporters would be still in cloud cuckoo land where they think it is still 2017 and we can mix it with the best.  Sadly one would have to feel Mayo will get a harsh lesson this year if they meet Dublin, or even one of our (so called) contemporaries.

dublin7

Quote from: balladmaker on June 29, 2019, 09:39:23 PM

1: Deegan gave Mayo their frees far handier than Armagh got theirs.  Surely there has to be a referee's panel reviewing such ref. performances.

2: Armagh / Mayo backs & forwards started tangling when free was awarded further out, Deegan saw fit to move free from unlikely scoring position to likely scoring position, and that was that.

Armagh left that game behind (in part due to Maurice Deegan).  As much as I'd now love to see Mayo win an All Ireland, that opportunity has passed for this group of players I feel.

Fair points. Armagh were ridden rock solid by the ref today. Mayo got the win and are through to the next round but they're like a punch drunk boxer taking hits and just waiting for someone to knock them out..

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on June 29, 2019, 09:45:56 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on June 29, 2019, 09:39:23 PM

Fair points. Armagh were ridden rock solid by the ref today. Mayo got the win and are through to the next round but they're like a punch drunk boxer taking hits and just waiting for someone to knock them out..

As I said it's the way it works. The further you are up the food chain, the more decisions you will get (especially if you are playing at home).

David McKeown

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 29, 2019, 09:29:30 PM
A good game. Well done Mayo. Really hope you make it to the super 8s and beyond. We can talk about the ref, and I agree he gave some soft frees to mayo, but it wasn't him that tripped McLoughlin up off the ball taking a very hard to score free to a very hard to miss free. That out two in it and was ultimately the winning of the game for mayo.
We have undoubtedly improved this year but we need a keeper and a full back. Dunno what Grimley was at at the end. Really think we left that one behind, unlike Roscommon last year, and it'll be a while getting over it

The problem I have is there were plenty of off the ball fouls why did one result in a free being moved and none of the rest of them did. The play was dead at the time and Deegan could have had no idea whether or not O'Connor was going to shoot.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

tonto1888

Quote from: David McKeown on June 29, 2019, 10:07:38 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 29, 2019, 09:29:30 PM

The problem I have is there were plenty of off the ball fouls why did one result in a free being moved and none of the rest of them did. The play was dead at the time and Deegan could have had no idea whether or not O'Connor was going to shoot.

We can talk what ifs and why's all night. It was stupid from shields and I think he knew it

Over the Bar

Quote from: JP on June 29, 2019, 09:04:26 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on June 29, 2019, 08:51:42 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 29, 2019, 08:41:38 PM
What the f**k were Armagh at on that last play, ridiculous.

McGeeney's utter incompetence in tight games was on full display today.

please explain how?

Ridiculous statememt
Erm... Perhaps cos he's made a balls of virtually every tight game that has counted to date??

tonto1888

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 29, 2019, 10:15:26 PM
Quote from: JP on June 29, 2019, 09:04:26 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on June 29, 2019, 08:51:42 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 29, 2019, 08:41:38 PM
What the f**k were Armagh at on that last play, ridiculous.

McGeeney's utter incompetence in tight games was on full display today.

please explain how?

Ridiculous statememt
Erm... Perhaps cos he's made a balls of virtually every tight game that has counted to date??

Did you deliberately misunderstand his post?

Cunny Funt

Mayo used their get out of jail card tonight but it would be foolish to write them off after that less than convincing performance/win as only last year Tyrone did similar v Meath and went on to reach the AI final.

Maurice Deegan probably needs to hang up the whistle and stick with weather forecasting. For as poor as he was it was the so called experienced Shields that wouldn't keep his gob shut on what turned out to be the match winning score.

naka

Deegan was poor for Armagh
Watching the game was definitely disappointing that he picked sheilds
Because there were two teams at it
Genuinely Armagh were hard done by tonight watching it live
But such is football
wont  knock Mc geeney he is doing ok

yellowcard

If Deegan deliberately set out to make the game all about himself then he can definitely consider his nights work a huge success.