Liam Clancy

Started by Doogie Browser, October 30, 2009, 09:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Anyone catch this show last night?  The man is fantastic, he has so many stories, would love a night on the lash with him. 

Feckitt

Bob Dylan said that Liam Clancy is the greatest Ballad singer that he has ever heard!

Hard to argue with his Bobness on that one.  Liam has still got it.  A legend, and one of an ever dwindling bunch.  He is the last man standing from the Makem/Clancy crew.

I love this mans voice, you can just tell by listening to him talking that we has to have a great singing voice.

Doogie Browser

Some interesting views on Irish-American attitudes to race in the 50's too.

Tony Baloney

He's remarkably fresh-faced for a man in his 70's who has lived life to the full.

Watched most of it and taped the last half hour - a really good show. Although it was no Failte Towers.

orangeman

Quote from: Doogie Browser on October 30, 2009, 09:30:04 AM
Anyone catch this show last night?  The man is fantastic, he has so many stories, would love a night on the lash with him.

Great show.

They're showing the film in the QFT.

http://www.queensfilmtheatre.com/films/theyellowbittern/

Bud Wiser

He goes on with too much waffle.  One night himself and Makem were playing the National Concert Hall in Dublin and it was been televised for RTE.  A friend of mine was seperated from his lady doctor wife and they got back together and for Christmas she brought him to the show.  Anyway, before each song they were waffling on for about two minutes before each song and they were about to sing this song about fishermen and they were going on about the height of the waves and the strength of the men and the size of the balls of sleet and snow and the nnext thing D stood up and whips a tin whistle out of his pocket and he sez, " the two of ye are there for the last half hour and ye have sang three songs, ye are going on and on about a load of me bollix and ye haven't got a note in yer head.  If ye have follow this"   and he starts playing the High Level on the whistle.

Then the security men came down and frog marched him out and when he returned to the local pub after it seemed a short while after he left us with the good news I said to him , "D, I thought you were back with herself and gone to the Concert hall.  " I was sez he but now I am seperated again because of those two fooking eejits" !!!
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

magpie seanie

I enjoyed the show I have to say but Bud's story is nearly as good!

orangeman

Quote from: Bud Wiser on October 30, 2009, 11:01:24 AM
He goes on with too much waffle.  One night himself and Makem were playing the National Concert Hall in Dublin and it was been televised for RTE.  A friend of mine was seperated from his lady doctor wife and they got back together and for Christmas she brought him to the show.  Anyway, before each song they were waffling on for about two minutes before each song and they were about to sing this song about fishermen and they were going on about the height of the waves and the strength of the men and the size of the balls of sleet and snow and the nnext thing D stood up and whips a tin whistle out of his pocket and he sez, " the two of ye are there for the last half hour and ye have sang three songs, ye are going on and on about a load of me bollix and ye haven't got a note in yer head.  If ye have follow this"   and he starts playing the High Level on the whistle.
Then the security men came down and frog marched him out and when he returned to the local pub after it seemed a short while after he left us with the good news I said to him , "D, I thought you were back with herself and gone to the Concert hall.  " I was sez he but now I am seperated again because of those two fooking eejits" !!!

CLASS  :D :D

Feckitt

Tommy Makem, and the other two Clancy brothers are gone, Luke & Ronnie are gone.  Liam is almost 75 years old.

Who's going to fill their shoes?  Why is Ireland not producing any genuine folk talent?

longrunsthefox

It was an excellent programme. Not a load of twee diddle-dee and aran jumpers. Liam Clancy was brilliant- so honest talking about the rows and making up with his brothers etc. Also how he put manners on the education minister about the sexual behaviour of the Christian Brothers when people were afraid to speak up. Ahead of his time.
His anger at the racist Irish-Americans was powerful too. Heartfelt. He was so upset saying that the word 'lynching' was after some Irish man Lynch who left here and became a slave owner. Well worth  a vist to the QFT to see this programme.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Feckitt on October 30, 2009, 02:18:24 PM
Tommy Makem, and the other two Clancy brothers are gone, Luke & Ronnie are gone.  Liam is almost 75 years old.

Who's going to fill their shoes?  Why is Ireland not producing any genuine folk talent?

We got too cool for that with the Celtic tiger.

longrunsthefox

Youse are spoilt rotten. Haven't we got Boys Zone, West Life and Nadine... great Irish  vocalists  8)

muppet

Quote from: longrunsthefox on October 30, 2009, 04:36:50 PM
Youse are spoilt rotten. Haven't we got Boys Zone, West Life and Nadine... great Irish  vocalists  8)

Keep running Foxy.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

Che

unbelievable show last night, pity it was on so late. its also a pity that these men arent recognized more for their achievements.

Liam Clancy spoke with a genuineness rarely shown by stars, loved what he had to say about the similarities between the blacks struggle in America, how it compared to what the Irish had fought off fifty years earlier, and here was the irish americans giving them grief for supporting them.

Minder

Life and Times of Liam Clancy on RTE1 tonight at 10.25pm
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"