Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 07, 2016, 09:10:00 PM
Quote from: michaelg on November 07, 2016, 08:46:55 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 08:49:00 PM
Quote from: michaelg on November 06, 2016, 08:42:27 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 08:36:38 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 06, 2016, 08:30:02 PM
Yeah they play in the high profile O'Fiaich Cup instead, ::)

That's a competition.

I wouldn't be getting worked up over winning one in any case.

It's about context and the rugby fellas are getting worked up about winning a friendly and becoming hypersensitive when this pointed out.
How come you don't refer to the ROI soccer team as the West British soccer team?

They don't line out under a bastardised flag and belt out a pub song written by the son of a peeler.
Ironic that you feel this way given that the Ireland rugby team is probably the one team that represents and is supported by everyone in the 32 counties of Ireland.

It's not supported by me.

Some of us don't forget how they supported apartheid in South Africa.
Maybe you should jog on back to TFK where your bitter small-mindedness fitted in more comfortably.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 07, 2016, 08:13:53 PM
Some great footage of the 'friendly': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC-tpy9E0hs

Long walk from the dressing rooms.
JS is quite small compared to the pack

seafoid

24 heures is the Irish Independent of the French part of Switzerland with death notices and loads of sports coverage for people who know their sport. The readers usually read about skiing, soccer and icehockey but yesterday there was an article about le rugby. Because something important happened.

http://www.24heures.ch/front/aktuellethemen/blacks-redescendent-terre/story/17744851

Les records sont faits pour être battus. Le 5 novembre 2016 restera dans l'histoire du rugby comme le jour où les All Blacks sont retombés sur terre (40-29 face à l'Irlande). Cela faisait 455 jours, soit depuis le 8 août 2015, que la Nouvelle-Zélande n'avait plus connu les affres de la défaite. Le XV à la fougère argentée restait sur une série historique de 18 victoires consécutives et semblait tout simplement imbattable. [appeared to be unbeatable ] Autant dire que ce match amical face aux Irlandais, un adversaire battu à 28 reprises en autant de rencontres depuis 1905, avait tout d'une balade de santé sur le papier. [a walk in the park on paper]

Goliath à terre [Goliath floored]

Et pourtant, samedi après-midi, 15 Irlandais survoltés ont fait tomber Goliath sur la pelouse du Soldier Field de Chicago, devant 62 300 (record pour un match de rugby outre-Atlantique) spectateurs médusés. Cette victoire majuscule a peut-être pris corps juste avant le coup d'envoi. [the victory took shape during the haka]
Durant le fameux «haka», cette danse guerrière [gurrier actually comes from French ]  maorie qui a tétanisé tant d'adversaires, les 23 «boys in green» se sont répartis pour former un 8 sur le terrain. Un hommage au numéro de maillot d'Anthony Foley, ancien international et entraîneur décédé subitement à 42 ans d'une crise cardiaque mi-octobre. «C'était le premier match de l'équipe nationale depuis sa mort, nous devions faire quelque chose. Il y avait beaucoup d'émotion, cela a porté les gars du Munster (ndlr: club dont Foley était l'entraîneur)», a rappelé le capitaine Rory Best.

Coup de grâce
Le XV du Trèfle a sans cesse harcelé des Néo-Zélandais privés de plusieurs titulaires. En tête à la pause (25-8), les Irlandais ont ensuite résisté avec brio au retour des All Blacks. Les Kiwis sont revenus à quatre points après l'heure de jeu. Mais, au plus fort de la pression adverse, Robbie Henshaw a administré le coup de grâce avec un essai somptueux (75e).[a sumptuous try]
Les All Blacks ont félicité leur adversaire sur Twitter après cette défaite historique, avant de prendre date pour la revanche. «On se voit dans deux semaines à Dublin.» (24 heures)

Bionn adharca fada ar na ba thar lear

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 07, 2016, 11:44:51 PM

That's a competition.

It's about context and the rugby fellas are getting worked up about winning a friendly and becoming hypersensitive when this pointed out.
How come you don't refer to the ROI soccer team as the West British soccer team?

They don't line out under a bastardised flag and belt out a pub song written by the son of a peeler.
Ironic that you feel this way given that the Ireland rugby team is probably the one team that represents and is supported by everyone in the 32 counties of Ireland.

Maybe you should jog on back to TFK where your bitter small-mindedness fitted in more comfortably.

I haven't posted on TFK in around 2 years and have not intention of.

If people are going to laud the rugby side because they draw from 32 counties (something the football team also do - only in football there is a requirement to accept the tricolour and Amhran na BhFiann) then they shouldn't try and sweep their grubby past under the table.

I think you will find the small minded people are those who like to pick and choose who are what actions represent them and the IRFU's support of apartheid South Africa is the most disgraceful moment in Irish sport.

Some background info for the uninformed.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/answering-apartheids-call-29839040.html

seafoid

Give it a rest, bomber. You made your point several days ago. I understand you are not a fan of rugby.

How does the GAA treatment of the residents around Croke Park fit into your moral universe ?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: seafoid on November 08, 2016, 09:29:35 AM
Give it a rest, bomber. You made your point several days ago. I understand you are not a fan of rugby.

How does the GAA treatment of the residents around Croke Park fit into your moral universe ?

So I should be censured because rugby lads don't like the facts?

No chance.

Are you comparing GAA's treatment of residents with support of apartheid in South Africa?

Applesisapples

Quote from: seafoid on November 05, 2016, 11:17:17 PM
It's a fantastic day for Irish rugby. All the legends that didn't manage it.  Mike Gibson, Tony Ward, Ollie Campbell, the Kiernans,  Ginger McLoughlin, Ciaran Fitz, Simon Geoghegan, BOD, ROG etc. When Throne won in 2003 Peter Canavan spoke about all the ones who went  before him.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NCH29cPQt4

Henshaw is class
Copied Jarlath Burns speech from the Ulster Final in '99 he did!

Dinny Breen

Rule 21 and 27.
#newbridgeornowhere

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 08, 2016, 11:42:07 AM

Rule 21 and 27.

Thoroughly justified. Could make for an argument for Rule 27 for a period too.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 08, 2016, 12:02:55 PM

Rule 21 and 27.

The good old justifiable discrimination. The South African National Party I'm sure said the same thing once upon a time.
#newbridgeornowhere

JoG2

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 07, 2016, 11:44:51 PM

That's a competition.

jayzus  :o

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 08, 2016, 12:11:02 PM

Rule 21 and 27.

The good old justifiable discrimination. The South African National Party I'm sure said the same thing once upon a time.

The only similarities between the apartheid state in SA and Rule 21, is that Rule 21 targeted those carrying out apartheid in Ireland.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 08, 2016, 12:30:14 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 08, 2016, 12:11:02 PM

Rule 21 and 27.

The only similarities between the apartheid state in SA and Rule 21, is that Rule 21 targeted those carrying out apartheid in Ireland.

Big rugby fan but fully agree with imposing of rule 21. The problem was it maybe went on for a few years more than it should have when peace was pretty much secured in the north.