Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Time to invest in a new pair of runners. Anyone recommend a good set or know of any good offers on at the min?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

laoislad

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 27, 2019, 10:47:40 AM
Time to invest in a new pair of runners. Anyone recommend a good set or know of any good offers on at the min?
Hard to go wrong with the Nike Pegasus imo.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trueblue1234

Cheers LL. Had narrowed it down to them and Asics GT-2000 7 that I've seen on offer.

Always liked Nike before but was thinking of trying the Asics.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

laoislad

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 27, 2019, 04:19:14 PM
Cheers LL. Had narrowed it down to them and Asics GT-2000 7 that I've seen on offer.

Always liked Nike before but was thinking of trying the Asics.
Are the GT 2000  not a stability shoe?, they might not suit you unless you need the extra support.The Pegasus is a neutral shoe which suits me.
I have a pair of Nike Vomero 14 also which are great, also have a pair of New Balance Beacon which I got on the New Balance website for €70 they are also very good.

The Bearded One

Need some help. Training for Dublin marathon and this week I've hit a bit of a wall. Every mile I've ran feels like a battle, a 10 mile steady run tonight was cut short to 7 miles and felt like every step was gonna be my last. My head is losing the battle and the body is sluggish. I'm a fairly competent runner: ran my first marathon last year and have been going well up to this week. Can anyone recommend any podcasts or books specifically aimed at marathon training to help me regain some focus and more importantly give me a boot in the arse!
It is what it is. Presumably.

lfdown2

Quote from: The Bearded One on September 12, 2019, 10:51:56 PM
Need some help. Training for Dublin marathon and this week I've hit a bit of a wall. Every mile I've ran feels like a battle, a 10 mile steady run tonight was cut short to 7 miles and felt like every step was gonna be my last. My head is losing the battle and the body is sluggish. I'm a fairly competent runner: ran my first marathon last year and have been going well up to this week. Can anyone recommend any podcasts or books specifically aimed at marathon training to help me regain some focus and more importantly give me a boot in the arse!

Out of interest have you changed the time of day you train compared to the previous marathon? This is my first time training in the evenings and it has been a torture from day one, add in to that a lack of time has meant the first 6+ weeks were hit and miss for me getting out, have finally got some degree of momentum now but it is going to be a case of getting it done rather than a target time!

The Bearded One

No, training dates and times are consistent, possibly my food and hydration has not been, but shouldn't cause the head fluster I have experienced this week!

lfdown2

Quote from: The Bearded One on September 13, 2019, 03:01:24 PM
No, training dates and times are consistent, possibly my food and hydration has not been, but shouldn't cause the head fluster I have experienced this week!

Wiser men than me here but I would say diet and hydration could have a huge impact, and sleep too (although I wouln't have thought it would manifest itself at only 10 mile). I would imagine taking a training day off wouldn't go a great degree of harm.

laoislad

Maybe it's just cumulative fatigue?
I know I'm starting to feel the milage in the legs.
I've been hitting 50 mile weeks the last while. Usually a day off or a couple of very easy runs and I'm ok again.  I did find this week a bit of a slog, and I've still to do a 18mile on Sunday.
What kind of milage you doing?

The Bearded One

Lfdown 2 - I would count yesterday as a day off based on the fact the run was a write off and won't be doing anything today. I am going to make a conscious effort to clean up the diet now for the remaining weeks.

Laoislad - training load has increased and is definitely a factor. I ran 40 miles  in total last week (Monday - Sunday) and had planned 45 this week but that won't be achieved. Have 20miles to do tomorrow AM as can't get out on Sunday.

laoislad

Quote from: The Bearded One on September 13, 2019, 03:22:13 PM

Laoislad - training load has increased and is definitely a factor. I ran 40 miles  in total last week (Monday - Sunday) and had planned 45 this week but that won't be achieved. Have 20miles to do tomorrow AM as can't get out on Sunday.
Have you ran Dublin before? I ran the first 15 miles or so of it Sunday as part of a 20 mile run, had forgotten how hilly the first 7 miles are and how much of a drag the Crumlin road is.
Not long left now.

heffo

Quote from: lfdown2 on September 13, 2019, 03:12:53 PM
Quote from: The Bearded One on September 13, 2019, 03:01:24 PM

Wiser men than me here but I would say diet and hydration could have a huge impact, and sleep too (although I wouln't have thought it would manifest itself at only 10 mile). I would imagine taking a training day off wouldn't go a great degree of harm.

Same as that but if it were me I'd be looking at hydration, diet and sleep.

The Bearded One

Quote from: laoislad on September 13, 2019, 04:48:15 PM

Have you ran Dublin before? I ran the first 15 miles or so of it Sunday as part of a 20 mile run, had forgotten how hilly the first 7 miles are and how much of a drag the Crumlin road is.
Not long left now.

Ran it last year and achieved my target time of sub 3.30 fairly comfortably, hoping to better it this year. Fingers crossed it's just a bad week!

But definitely going to nail the diet, hydration and sleep from now on.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: The Bearded One on September 13, 2019, 11:02:16 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 13, 2019, 04:48:15 PM

Not long left now.

Ran it last year and achieved my target time of sub 3.30 fairly comfortably, hoping to better it this year. Fingers crossed it's just a bad week!

But definitely going to nail the diet, hydration and sleep from now on.

try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEPzn459L6M

imtommygunn

Mageean through to the final - brilliant stuff. I doubt she'll be anywhere near a medal but final a great achievement.

Hassan will win it and she's up to her neck in it :-\