Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Ross Tucker has a great podcast on the science of sport on running shoes .

BennyCake

Ok, I do run, but I didn't do this running... (couldn't think where else to write this)

Leapt up out of the pool and sat on edge. Looked down, and calf muscle sticking out of me leg. Foot sort of locked. Went back to normal maybe 10-15 seconds later. Sore to walk on. Have ice pack on it now.

Pulled calf muscle, maybe? Any advice?

Ball Hopper

Quote from: BennyCake on July 24, 2019, 03:03:29 PM
Ok, I do run, but I didn't do this running... (couldn't think where else to write this)

Leapt up out of the pool and sat on edge. Looked down, and calf muscle sticking out of me leg. Foot sort of locked. Went back to normal maybe 10-15 seconds later. Sore to walk on. Have ice pack on it now.

And the most important question...age?

GetOverTheBar

Achillies Tendonitis lads....any tips or tricks, nothing serious right now but it's becoming more and more a problem...sidewards coming down the stairs in the morning etc.

BennyCake

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 24, 2019, 03:41:16 PM

How dare you!  ;D Im two score.

imtommygunn

If you are going downstairs sideways then it's pretty bad. Stretch the calves lots every day (heel drop), if it's bad enough sleep with a plinth (look up on Amazon) and that will lessen tightening in the morning. Get a physio to look at the damage too and when they've parked on it strengthen.

Benny are you sure it wasn't just cramp??

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2019, 03:59:04 PM
If you are going downstairs sideways then it's pretty bad. Stretch the calves lots every day (heel drop), if it's bad enough sleep with a plinth (look up on Amazon) and that will lessen tightening in the morning. Get a physio to look at the damage too and when they've parked on it strengthen.

Ice pack has helped. I'm walking on it, just a little sore now.

To be honest, I've never had cramp. At least, not that I was aware of. The calf muscle sticking out a bit at the time, was just a bit freaky. Would cramp look like that?

imtommygunn

I used to get it during the night for years. I think it did a bit if I recall correctly.

Is it back to normal now?

Isotonic drinks etc helped (when it was cramp!)

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2019, 03:59:04 PM

Just started into that, the old hurling ball into the soles will start later this evening. It's always been manageable in so much that when I'm 'warm' its fine but I feel a notion of snapping during sprints at training these days.

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2019, 04:17:46 PM
I used to get it during the night for years. I think it did a bit if I recall correctly.

Is it back to normal now?

Isotonic drinks etc helped (when it was cramp!)

Now that I think, I do get pain in the foot at night now and again, and the foot locks with really bad pain. Lasts a few seconds. There was not much pain with the calf though, just the muscle sticking out.

Yeah it feels ok now. Will keep up the fluids.

trueblue1234

Now that the thread's been widen out a little to general injuries. Anyone any experience with pains in their wrists and ankles when going to bed. Used to have it the odd time but has increased a lot lately (I'm putting down to the hot weather). It's not really enough to run to the doctor with as it's more uncomfortable than sore, but starting to impact falling asleep at night. Always feel like I want to crack my wrists.

Someone had mentioned trying CBD oil. Anyone any experience of that either?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

BennyCake

Hmm, not sure TB1234. Could your job or any hobbies be linked to your symptoms? Like repetitive tasks, standing a lot etc?

Ball Hopper

Quote from: BennyCake on July 24, 2019, 03:48:04 PM

Lepping around in speedos like a 20 year old will bring pains to various places, I'm sure.  Especially if exceeding the age by 100%.

BennyCake

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 24, 2019, 07:05:02 PM

Lepping around in speedos like a 20 year old will bring pains to various places, I'm sure.  Especially if exceeding the age by 100%.

I wasn't exactly lepping about. Nor was I in speedos  ;D

Should we not be allowed in to a pool unless we're under 20?

Ball Hopper

Quote from: BennyCake on July 24, 2019, 09:48:47 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 24, 2019, 07:05:02 PM

I wasn't exactly lepping about. Nor was I in speedos  ;D

Should we not be allowed in to a pool unless we're under 20?

Well in excess of the 100% of 20 myself, Benny.  Some things can put a surprising strain on the body as it ages.  I use the steps into a pool now rather than the diving board.  Ditto for exiting.

40 is a kinda significant age to hit.   Things hurt a little at first...then hair appears or disappears at various locations...sure you know the rest.

Good massage can solve a lot of muscular issues, but make sure you get one from a well recommended professional.