The Poppy

Started by Hereiam, November 01, 2008, 11:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Is the objection though that it has been politicised by the unionists, which there is no arguing about, or that it represents the British armed forces which also includes their involvement here?

The thing that takes me to the fair is that the Unionists are always slabbering about the poppy being for everyone, but if Nationalists started wearing them they'd go nuts.

milltown row

what really grinds unionist is the fact that when in england or elsewhere they are paddy's. so being super Loyal is all they got. i spend less time watching the news now, i'ts boring, i've a mortgage to pay and kids to bring up. whether someone wheres a poppy for two f**king weeks will not make a difference to my bills.

Maguire01

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 02, 2008, 12:33:53 AM
Is the objection though that it has been politicised by the unionists, which there is no arguing about, or that it represents the British armed forces which also includes their involvement here?

The same way as some have politicised the Irish language and just about everything else in NI. People need to move on. If you're (not you in particular TB) offended by a poppy, then you must have serious issues.

ziggysego

I was flicking through the letter pages on ITV a few days. Girl Aloud were being interviewed on the telly last week or the beginning of the week. They all had their Poppies on, except Nadine. Apparently she didn't want to wear it. Some bloke from Carrickfergus was writing, complaining that she should have to show her Britishness.
Testing Accessibility

Hereiam

I seen our man on x-factor had his on. He won't be gettin my vote now.  :(

thebandit

I'd like to think of myself as being liberal, but I seen David O'Leary wearing one on Sky a few years ago and immediately turned against him. But having thought about it, he has lived in England for 20+ years, of course he is going to become a certain amount normalised to their culture. By the same token, the scottish planters have been here for hundres of years and never adapted to ours.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

comethekingdom

Fair play to Nadine coyle for standing up for herself and her nationality. will the other Girls aloud members all wear shamrocks on Paddy's day?

Rav67

Quote from: Hereiam on November 02, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

I hope you're joking.  He's a 15 yr old boy in a popularity contest, I'm sure he doesn't want to be drawn into a political row in the pages of The Sun just to please a few hardliners over here.

I do agree it's strange how they insist everyone on the telly has one on but because of that it's a big deal if someone doesn't.  I live in Bournemouth and from watching English tv I sort of expected that everyone else at work would be wearing a poppy at this time which might be awkward for me, but only around 5-10% actually do wear one.

Maguire01

Quote from: comethekingdom on November 02, 2008, 10:11:45 AM
Fair play to Nadine coyle for standing up for herself and her nationality. will the other Girls aloud members all wear shamrocks on Paddy's day?

Is the shamrock the Irish equivalent of the poppy? Anyway, i'm sure if Girls Aloud were in Ireland on March 17th they'd have no issue with wearing the poppy - why would they?

Hardy

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 02, 2008, 11:13:08 AMAnyway, i'm sure if Girls Aloud were in Ireland on March 17th they'd have no issue with wearing the poppy - why would they?

They'd get some funny looks, all the same.

fred the red

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 02, 2008, 11:13:08 AM
Quote from: comethekingdom on November 02, 2008, 10:11:45 AM

Is the shamrock the Irish equivalent of the poppy? Anyway, i'm sure if Girls Aloud were in Ireland on March 17th they'd have no issue with wearing the poppy - why would they?

im not sure what your point is here, i cant see them wearing the poppy in march.

Quote from: Rav67 on November 02, 2008, 10:13:26 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on November 02, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

I do agree it's strange how they insist everyone on the telly has one on but because of that it's a big deal if someone doesn't.  I live in Bournemouth and from watching English tv I sort of expected that everyone else at work would be wearing a poppy at this time which might be awkward for me, but only around 5-10% actually do wear one.

Walking around belfast yesterday, i would say 20-25% of people were wearing their poppy. Considering the unionist population over here would be max 60% it is clear that the unionist community in Northern ireland feel the need to show their support for the poppy much more than their english counterparts  :-\

5iveTimes

Thousands of fallen soldiers have been honoured at a cross-border commemoration service in County Louth.

Ex-service groups from both sides of the border paid tribute to the war dead at the only all-Ireland remembrance event on the island.

The Irish Ex-Service Men's Association and Whiteabbey British Legion branch laid wreaths bearing the Royal Crest and Tricolour in Drogheda.

The joint memorial service has been held for the past nine years.

Drogheda Mayor Frank Maher and Newtownabbey Mayor Victor Robinson represented their respective areas.

Ceremony

The event also included an inter-denominational religious ceremony recalling the service and sacrifice of thousands who joined the British forces to fight in the First World War.

Brian McCalden, spokesman for Whiteabbey Royal British Legion, said it had grown in size and importance over the past decade.

"It started off as a handful of people, but has attracted up to 200 in recent years," said Mr McCalden, who was one of organisers.

"Last year the Irish Ex-Service Men's Association had 12 people at it, and we expect the same this year.

"They remember their soldiers who were killed in all conflicts."
There's not much wood left in the coffin now, its nearly all made of nails.

pintsofguinness

QuoteI live in Bournemouth and from watching English tv I sort of expected that everyone else at work would be wearing a poppy at this time which might be awkward for me, but only around 5-10% actually do wear one.

Walking around belfast yesterday, i would say 20-25% of people were wearing their poppy. Considering the unionist population over here would be max 60% it is clear that the unionist community in Northern ireland feel the need to show their support for the poppy much more than their english counterparts  Undecided

That's interesting, I'm the same as Rav and I only noticed one boy at work wearing one during the week.  Was through the town yesterday and don't remember seeing anyone with them, probably a few that I didn't take notice of but there can't have been that many.  I'm going to take note today! There would be quite a few with them on the day but you don't have anything to worry about Rav as, in my experience,  the English don't give a f**k if you wear one or not!  The people I work with would probably find it more odd if I wore one! 
Another example of the unionists in the North trying to be more English than the English.  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

give her dixie

What's the story with the DUP wearing the "Designer" Poppy?
next stop, September 10, for number 4......