First Snow of the year

Started by Hereiam, October 28, 2008, 10:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingobus

Quote from: Rois on October 29, 2008, 02:21:37 PM
Can anyone tell me what the snow's like around Monaghan?  Need to travel from Belfast to Monaghan on my own later on and won't bother if it's dangerous (car isn't much use in wintry weather).

As i said, its bad round Carrick. My car slid at lunch and one of girls cars turned 360 on a hill. Its parked there now, no sign of road gritters out. As usual the side roads will prob be in bad nick, i would imagine the Keady/Armagh roads to Blayney/Monaghan would be bad. Snow has stopped now for first time since 10am this morning. It was giving a 0 degrees temp in car about half hour ago.

The wife down in Monaghan town at minute and said its snowing but waiting on her ring back to see if she got back to Blayney ok.

Thebandit should be able to give an update on the Blayney weather.

mhacadoir

Quote from: thejuice on October 28, 2008, 04:33:04 PM
I was just about to say its snowing here in Rugby too. Not sticking though. All trains cancelled I would imagine though  :D

the only time i have ever been to rugby in snowed/sleeted. was bloody freezing!

Rois

Quote from: bingobus on October 29, 2008, 02:28:33 PM
Quote from: Rois on October 29, 2008, 02:21:37 PM
Can anyone tell me what the snow's like around Monaghan?  Need to travel from Belfast to Monaghan on my own later on and won't bother if it's dangerous (car isn't much use in wintry weather).

As i said, its bad round Carrick. My car slid at lunch and one of girls cars turned 360 on a hill. Its parked there now, no sign of road gritters out. As usual the side roads will prob be in bad nick, i would imagine the Keady/Armagh roads to Blayney/Monaghan would be bad. Snow has stopped now for first time since 10am this morning. It was giving a 0 degrees temp in car about half hour ago.

The wife down in Monaghan town at minute and said its snowing but waiting on her ring back to see if she got back to Blayney ok.

Thebandit should be able to give an update on the Blayney weather.

Thanks - heading to the Hillgrove for a meeting tonight and sounds like it might be best avoided.  Let me know what your wife thinks of Monaghan town.

bingobus

Quote from: Rois on October 29, 2008, 03:10:12 PM

Thanks - heading to the Hillgrove for a meeting tonight and sounds like it might be best avoided.  Let me know what your wife thinks of Monaghan town.

She thinks its great but I keep telling her its a dump  ;)

Spoke to the brother there who is next down to the hillgrove. Its thawning out a bit (same here) but I don't think it is going to beat the night freeze. He said the roads where just ok but would only get worse as evening kicks in. It is supposed to rain to clear the snow/slush on roads but no sign of it yet. I'd avoid the trip if you could - the Armagh-Monaghan road isn't the best on a summers night.

The Iceman

4 feet of snow in NYC last year and everything goes on as normal
4 cms of snow in armagh and the county comes to a standstill lol

God I miss Ireland
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

thebandit

Blayney was a terra earlier on, I couldn't get my car up a hill and we had our lorries off the road for a couple of hours earlier, slushy as hell now - which is nearly worse.