IFA League Attendances

Started by Feckitt, October 28, 2008, 09:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

I'd go to a few Derry city games and while it can be enjoyable, the difference in quality between it and the Premiership is stark and affects the enjoyment of the match. Obviously there's also a massive difference in quality between club football and intercounty football yet I don't notice this as much. Is Gaelic football a game that retains its "watchability" much better at a lower standard than soccer does? Or is it just that preferring Gaelic football, I'm more likely to ignore poorer quality?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

fred the red

Quote from: MW on October 28, 2008, 09:35:59 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on October 28, 2008, 09:31:07 AM
Someone put their foot in it yesterday in the Daily Mirror and let it slip that only 135 people attended a recent game between Dungannon Swifts and Bangor. :D

The IFA and the media obviously have a pact to keep attendances a secret, due to embarrassment.  In fairness it was being printed that this was the lowest crowd this season, but surely this means that crowds of 200/300 are commonplace. :o

The IFA aren't going about this secrecy in a particularly clever way, given that they're publishing the attendances online ::)

Could you provide a link please.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: MW on October 28, 2008, 09:36:59 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 28, 2008, 03:28:03 PM
Quote from: Mario on October 28, 2008, 01:52:29 PM
I enjoy watching any soccer match at any level. The point has already been made but we are comparing local soccer players to superstars in the premier league. Why do people on here watch their junior clubs play gaa, when the standard is appaulling compared to a county match.

Also if the gaa was as big worldwide as soccer, we'd probably be saying the standard of county matches in Ireland is terrible.
You insinuate that other nationalities could possibly play Gaelic better than home brewed Gaels :o
The next step in this debate is  sparse BBC NI coverage of richly attended GAA matches compared to richl BBC NI coverage of sparsely attended IL matches.

That's actually the funniest thing I've heard all week.

A poor week for jokes in your household.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

MW

Quote from: fred the red on October 28, 2008, 10:01:26 PM
Someone put their foot in it yesterday in the Daily Mirror and let it slip that only 135 people attended a recent game between Dungannon Swifts and Bangor. :D

The IFA and the media obviously have a pact to keep attendances a secret, due to embarrassment.  In fairness it was being printed that this was the lowest crowd this season, but surely this means that crowds of 200/300 are commonplace. :o

The IFA aren't going about this secrecy in a particularly clever way, given that they're publishing the attendances online ::)

I could, but you can go google it or something :P

MW

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 28, 2008, 10:05:38 PM
Quote from: MW on October 28, 2008, 09:36:59 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 28, 2008, 03:28:03 PM
Quote from: Mario on October 28, 2008, 01:52:29 PM
I enjoy watching any soccer match at any level. The point has already been made but we are comparing local soccer players to superstars in the premier league. Why do people on here watch their junior clubs play gaa, when the standard is appaulling compared to a county match.

Also if the gaa was as big worldwide as soccer, we'd probably be saying the standard of county matches in Ireland is terrible.
You insinuate that other nationalities could possibly play Gaelic better than home brewed Gaels :o
The next step in this debate is  sparse BBC NI coverage of richly attended GAA matches compared to richl BBC NI coverage of sparsely attended IL matches.

That's actually the funniest thing I've heard all week.

A poor week for jokes in your household.

S'only Tuesday sure.

fred the red

Quote from: MW on October 28, 2008, 10:11:15 PM
Quote from: fred the red on October 28, 2008, 10:01:26 PM

I could, but you can go google it or something :P

I tried IFA attendances, IFA premiership attendances, Irish football association attendances, all to no avail.

So since you know the link, could you please provide it?

or are so ashamed of the attendances you are afraid to divulge these details  :P

Main Street

Quote from: MW on October 28, 2008, 10:11:45 PM
S'only Tuesday sure.
I 'll tell you another next Tuesday so.
TAM has better taste,
but then again he is reading a thread on the IFA.

Hurler on the Bitch

when you consider that the players' parents etc would have been allowed in with complimentaries...dying on its feet ..!

Orior

http://ifapremiership.com/results.htm

Saturday, 25th October, 2008 

JJB Sports Premiership
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bangor 3 (McKee, Morrow, Verner)
Dungannon Swifts 1 (McCann) 
DUNGANNON Swifts crashed back down to earth following their midweek exploits with this crushing defeat away to Bangor.
Attenance - blank

Coleraine 1 (Carson)
Newry City 0 
COLERAINE moved into fourth spot in the standings with this narrow defeat of Newry City at The Showgrounds.
Attenance - 624

Crusaders 1 (Rainey)
Institute 0 
CRUSADERS bounced back from their midweek reversal to narrowly defeat Institute at Seaview and hold onto second place.
Attenance - blank

Glenavon 1 (Grant)
Glentoran 2 (Hamilton, Waterworth) 
GLENTORAN held onto pole position with this defeat of Glenavon at Mourneview Park thanks to a late Andrew Waterworth winner.
Attenance - blank

Lisburn Distillery 1 (Allen)
Ballymena United 0 
A LATE Curtis Allen goal was the difference between the Whites and Sky Blues in a relatively lacklustre encounter at Ballyskeagh.
Attenance - blank

Whoopy-do.

Slightly more at the Clonoe v Dromore match I'd say.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

fred the red

JJB Sports Premiership - Saturday, 18th October, 2008

Newry City
Murphy, Gowdy, Black, Davidson, E. Friars, Clarke, Garrett, Collins, Morgan, L. Feeney, S. Friars subs Havern (replaced Morgan 76), Moran (replaced L. Feeney 76), Keegan (replaced S. Friars 64), Curran (not used), Doherty (not used)

Bangor
Plummer, McKee, Youle, Anderson, Fitzpatrick, Gracey, R. Tumelty, Lockhart, McConnell, Verner, Melly subs Magennis (replaced R. Tumelty 74), Morrow (replaced McConnell 71), Irvine (replaced Verner 82), Walsh (not used), Hand (not used)

Referee
Mark Petch (Deganwy, Wales)

Attendance: 141      :o

Orior

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2008, 10:45:11 PM
There was more involved in the fecking row at the Clonoe - Dromore match.

LOL
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

corn02

Having seen a few matches over the years, I have a limited knowledge on the subject, but:

1)Attendances are terrible and the coverage devoted to it is bordering on a disgrace
2) The level of football is, in the majority, of a much higher standard than perople give it credit for. People who label it "shite" have probably never seen a match.
3)It is neither dying or flourishing. The re-vamp this season has helped in some regards, but a lot more work is needed.
$)I would put it at League two standard rather than conference.

red hander

Quote from: Orior on October 28, 2008, 10:39:49 PM
http://ifapremiership.com/results.htm

Saturday, 25th October, 2008 

JJB Sports Premiership
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bangor 3 (McKee, Morrow, Verner)
Dungannon Swifts 1 (McCann) 
DUNGANNON Swifts crashed back down to earth following their midweek exploits with this crushing defeat away to Bangor.
Attenance - blank

Coleraine 1 (Carson)
Newry City 0 
COLERAINE moved into fourth spot in the standings with this narrow defeat of Newry City at The Showgrounds.
Attenance - 624

Crusaders 1 (Rainey)
Institute 0 
CRUSADERS bounced back from their midweek reversal to narrowly defeat Institute at Seaview and hold onto second place.
Attenance - blank

Glenavon 1 (Grant)
Glentoran 2 (Hamilton, Waterworth) 
GLENTORAN held onto pole position with this defeat of Glenavon at Mourneview Park thanks to a late Andrew Waterworth winner.
Attenance - blank

Lisburn Distillery 1 (Allen)
Ballymena United 0 
A LATE Curtis Allen goal was the difference between the Whites and Sky Blues in a relatively lacklustre encounter at Ballyskeagh.
Attenance - blank

Whoopy-do.

Slightly more at the Clonoe v Dromore match I'd say.

Considering it's the Irish League, blank probably means exactly what it says, ie there was nobody there ... they can't be hiding the figures for tax reasons, as they probably wouldn't have to pay tax on such small figures

corn02

I get the feeling a lot of you  would love to see soccer in the north fail, why?