West Belfast GAA Club to facilitate function for INLA Killer

Started by Minder, October 22, 2008, 01:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineKick

How many committees would allow "something" to be booked in the club???  I know our committee would want to know what that something was for and what it involved.  It stands to sense.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

nifan

Id say all sorts of facilities are used for all sorts of things many of us would find unpalatable - sports halls, schools, churches, orange lodges.
Only occasionally does it pass the eye of someone who will make an issue out of it.

theskull1

Quote from: SidelineKick on October 22, 2008, 06:25:02 PM
How many committees would allow "something" to be booked in the club???  I know our committee would want to know what that something was for and what it involved.  It stands to sense.

If every committee vetted everything it would make sense. But I would be surprised this wasn't ok'd by someone who didn't know anything about this boy's history.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

pintsofguinness

Well shame on them if they accepted a booking for someone who killed a member from the club next door. I'll side with the view that they did not know....I hope I'm right (was tempted)
What's the story there?

I don't understand what the issue is myself, gaa halls, function rooms etc are normally available for rent.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

stew

The club should not let this function go on, this is a direct reflection on the GAA whether we like it or not and it just gives Armstrong and co more ammo to slam us with.

Tobermore United let their place out to loyalist scumbags and we hammered them on here for that, what is the difference?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

magickingdom

Minder

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 22, 2008, 07:19:30 PM
Well shame on them if they accepted a booking for someone who killed a member from the club next door. I'll side with the view that they did not know....I hope I'm right (was tempted)
What's the story there?

I don't understand what the issue is myself, gaa halls, function rooms etc are normally available for rent.

Mc Williams murdered Sarsfields man Collie Mahon, for having the temerity to kick Mc Williams and a few of his hoods out of a snooker club. The pitches of Sarsfields, O Donovan Rossa and St Pauls (where the event is due to take place) are all beside each other.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stephenite

Cancel it and sack the committee that let this blow up their faces in the first place, clowns.

Hardy

I'm inclined to believe the committee. I don't imagine the barman, or whoever happens to be present when someone comes in or phones in to make a booking, is briefed to interrogate them on the nature of the function.

What usually happens, in my experience is "I'd like to book the bar/function room for a party on the 17th". Barman checks book - "yes it's free - how many people?", etc. No "is this an INLA celebration?" questions would arise.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: stephenite on October 23, 2008, 01:25:12 AM
Cancel it and sack the committee that let this blow up their faces in the first place, clowns.

Agree with you 100% Stephenite - pricks!
"Stercus accidit"

theskull1

How can you agree with what stephenite has said when we all have no clue about the details of how this booking was taken. Weird logic

The devil is in the .............
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

red hander

Quote from: Donagh on October 22, 2008, 03:57:32 PM
Crip McWilliams was nothing more than a gangster in the Billy Wright or Johnny Adair model. St Pauls should ask the organisers of this evening to take it elsewhere as McWilliam did enough damage to the GAA when he murdered Sarsfields man Collie Mahon.

If any other Republican had have taken out that murdering bastard Wright he would have been considered a hero, but McWilliams never was ... he was nothing but a cowardly sc**bag who bravely went and got a gun after being ejected from Frames and came back and shot dead a well liked and respected family man who just happened to work in the bar

An Fear Rua

its been cancelled

A west Belfast GAA club has cancelled a booking for a function to commemorate an INLA murderer.

The event, remembering Christopher 'Crip' McWilliams, had been due to be held at the St Paul's club next month.

In a statement, a club spokesman said its committee was not aware of the nature of the booking when it was made.

"We can now hopefully return to our primary function of serving our local community with sporting and cultural opportunities," he added.

In 1991, McWilliams, who died from cancer in June this year, shot dead a bar manager who had asked him to leave a Belfast snooker club.

Six years later, he shot and killed LVF leader Billy Wright in the Maze Prison.

On Wednesday, former sports minister Edwin Poots of the DUP called on St Paul's to cancel the booking, which had been made by a club member.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7687200.stm
Its Grim up North

Evil Genius

Quote from: theskull1 on October 23, 2008, 11:13:10 AM
How can you agree with what stephenite has said when we all have no clue about the details of how this booking was taken.

We now know a little more:
"On Wednesday, former sports minister Edwin Poots of the DUP called on St Paul's to cancel the booking, which had been made by a club member."

Anyhow, if McWilliams had only murdered Wright, but not Mahon, would that make any difference to anyones views on whether this should have been allowed or not? Or if he had never been convicted of any murder (though was known to be an INLA member)?

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"