Chimley

Quote from: RandyDupree on July 15, 2012, 03:39:14 PM
2 teams going nowhere.

Meh!

Other teams going nowhere in 2012:

Dublin V Wexford
Tyrone V Donegal
Kildare V Meath.

We're in a QF again where our D1 status suggests we belong.

Ard-Rí

Meh! Mayo would have bottled it had Sligo given them the chance.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Chimley

Quote from: Ard-Rí on July 15, 2012, 03:57:26 PM

They had plenty chances to bottle that game. We didn't hit the front until the last few minutes. I'm surprised that you didn't trot out the other stereotype about Mayo forwards while you were at it.

dublin7

Listening to newstalk coverage after the game & they were certain it wasn't a Mayo point. Key score as it meant Sligo had try & go for goal at the end instead of only needing a point.

Should have been a straight red at the end for the Mayo midfielder. Ref was a joke as well. Must like rugby for all the scrums he allowed develop.

J70

There were several instances where Mayo attackers had fairly simple shots on from around the 20m line, but instead of shooting they tried to work the ball in closer and ran into traffic. They'd want to sort that out against the better teams.

Ard-Rí

Quote from: Chimley on July 15, 2012, 04:00:52 PM

They had plenty chances to bottle that game. We didn't hit the front until the last few minutes. I'm surprised that you didn't trot out the other stereotype about Mayo forwards while you were at it.

You mean kicking wides on a consistent basis? Funny you should mention it, that crossed my mind too.
I'm a firm believer that stereotypes exist for a reason.
Anyway, don't take it too personally. Best of luck in the next round.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Chimley

Quote from: Ard-Rí on July 15, 2012, 05:36:38 PM
Quote from: Chimley on July 15, 2012, 04:00:52 PM

You mean kicking wides on a consistent basis? Funny you should mention it, that crossed my mind too.
I'm a firm believer that stereotypes exist for a reason.
Anyway, don't take it too personally. Best of luck in the next round.

When I see people knocking my county on the day that we won our provincial title, I tend to jump in.

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on July 15, 2012, 05:29:06 PM
There were several instances where Mayo attackers had fairly simple shots on from around the 20m line, but instead of shooting they tried to work the ball in closer and ran into traffic. They'd want to sort that out against the better teams.

The wind was terrible for most of the match, a cross wind that forced both teams to play the ball in more than they would have wanted to. I doubt that translated properly to tv at all.

macdanger2

I was sitting in the stand and had a pretty good view of Boyle's point - it looked wide to me. Would be interested to see it again but if they got that wrong then it's dire and very disappointing for Sligo.

The wind made it difficult but Mayo seemed obsessed with going for goals in the first half when they should have taken their points and maybe could have won by 3 or 4.

I thought AOS did v well when he came on, made a big difference - contrasted with O'Hara who did nothing when he came on except throw a few digs here and there.

I'd give MOTM to B Moran or Boyle although 1 - 10 plus Dillon all did well.

We need to find some shooting boots before our next outing.

Good luck to Sligo in the 4th rd qualifier - they're good enough to beat a lot of the teams left in it - should have fed Kelly more though.

Syferus

The Rossies making off with the cups today:

Pity about the colours, though, Andy.

moysider

Delighted with that tbh. I was apprehensive enough - for good reason as it turned out. To win a dogfight is better than looking the part in a cakewalk.

Our game plan backfired, due to poor decision making and good Sligo defending. Going for goals is all very fine but we left several handy points behind.

I m happy with 11 of our starting 15 and we had only one 'mare. We re not the complete deal but a good few pieces are in places. There is no obvious remedy for 13 and maybe 15 but we still have to keep going. I thought we finished with a better ff line than we started with.

It was scrappy and at times nasty. Unpleasant atmosphere also at times. These teams might be forming a rivalry with an edge to it if they meet soon again.

ross4life

Almost a carbon copy of the Connacht senior final last year but the weather was better this year. Sligo deservedly in front at HT but you knew that lead wasn't going to be enough. Mayo made better use of the wind and used all their experience and know how to get over the line. I thought the ref was over fussy he never let the flow and even though it was a good turnout i thought the atmosphere was poor.

Best for Mayo was Barry Moran for Sligo was Ross Donovan. Will be interesting to see how both do in the All Ireland series now.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

eviemonkey

Mayo were poor enough but they did what they had to do. A provincial title in the bag and safe passage through to an All Ireland Quarter Final which is the defining stage of the season for all of the major counties.

They still look short of a couple of game-breaking forwards to me. The option of playing O'Connor and Moran at 11 and 14 isn't maximising the ability of both players. I'd nearly play both in the full forward line where they both look more dangerous. Getting Aidan O'Shea back will help their cause and they should be strong at midfield if he can develop a partnership there with B Moran.

Mayo were fairly cynical at the end in closing out the game but like all the successful teams they did what they have to do to close out games. The days of Mayo being all sweetness and light are long gone under James Horan and they will be all the stronger as a team as a result of this pragmatic approach. At this stage Mayo shouldn't fear anyone in the Quarter-Finals.

Sligo were competitive throughout and have 3 or 4 scoring forwards which will make them dangerous opposition for whoever they meet in Round 4. Once they get over the disappointment of this one as they should they have a real chance of joining Mayo in the last eight.

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on July 15, 2012, 06:55:57 PM
Almost a carbon copy of the Connacht senior final last year but the weather was better this year. Sligo deservedly in front at HT but you knew that lead wasn't going to be enough. Mayo made better use of the wind and used all their experience and know how to get over the line. I thought the ref was over fussy he never let the flow and even though it was a good turnout i thought the atmosphere was poor.

Best for Mayo was Barry Moran for Sligo was Ross Donovan. Will be interesting to see how both do in the All Ireland series now.

Interesting indeed.

Lets see who Sligo get but I ve a feeling they ll get more than one more cut at it. They ve an extra week this year to do their homework. They clearly had Mayo and Galway sussed and if they do a job on their next opponents then they ll have a great chance. Mayo backs have been good all year and would be very familiar with the Sligo threat. sligo might get more joy next day. They re also as fit as Div. 1 teams on last 2 days evidence.

Mayo will have learned a lot again today. Our backs and midfield ( provided we dont lose players now on club duty) should give us a chance against most. But we have to do better at working around our forward failings than we did today. There has to be changes there but there may not be a solution ant time soon.

From the Bunker

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 15, 2012, 03:45:45 PM
Congxrats mayo ye just about deserved it.  I was worried about our midfield and unforrunately ny fears were justified.
Time to get real umpires for these games instead of the clowns tbey have

Add referees and a proper time keeper and we might just get a real game!