Maigh Eo v Doire

Started by Tubberman, June 19, 2017, 08:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I think that if one were to compare Joe Brolly to a jackass, it would be a grievous insult.
Jackasses do have feelings, y'know.
However, I have to agree with a few points he has made in this article. I still have flashbacks about the game in Limerick. Donaghy destroyed Caff, who had to go man on man with him for the whole game. Kerry pumped the ball in on him with great accuracy and to great effect. Meanwhile Jamesy was left to prowl at will, waiting for the offload and neither of the corner backs made any serious attempt to block him.
FFS. Mayo were all over Kerry and should have won by a country mile if it wasn't for  the failure of Horan to do anything about Donaghy's dominance in front of goal. You could add in for good measure that the accuracy of the midfielders and half backs when targeting Donaghy was also a big asset for Kerry. 
Caff didn't do well against Comer and I can't see him improving if Mayo to progress after tomorrow.
I don't think Derry has anyone in Donaghy's class to worry Mayo but there could be other, bigger challenges ahead and it could prove disastrous if the FB line isn't functioning at 100% for the entire game.
I really can't see Derry winning this one but I don't think Mayo are ruthless enough to blast them off the pitch. The habit of easing off when they appear to be in full control has hampered Mayo for years; the game against Sligo this year is a perfect example of what I mean.
Mayo should win by 10 but will probably manage win by 2 or 3.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 30, 2017, 05:22:11 PM
I think that if one were to compare Joe Brolly to a jackass, it would be a grievous insult.
However, I have to agree with a few points he has made in this article. I still have flashbacks about the game in Limerick. Donaghy destroyed Caff, who had to go man on man with him for the whole game. Kerry pumped the ball in on him with great accuracy and to great effect. Meanwhile Jamesy was left to prowl at will, waiting for the offload and neither of the corner backs made any serious attempt to block him.
FFS. Mayo were all over Kerry and should have won by a country mile if it wasn't for  the failure of Horan to do anything about Donaghy's dominance in front of goal. You could add in for good measure that the accuracy of the midfielders and half backs when targeting Donaghy was also a big asset for Kerry. 
Caff didn't do well against Comer and I can't see him improving if Mayo to progress after tomorrow.
I don't think Derry has anyone in Donaghy's class to worry Mayo but there could be other, bigger challenges ahead and it could prove disastrous if the FB line isn't functioning at 100% for the entire game.
I really can't see Derry winning this one but I don't think Mayo are ruthless enough to blast them off the pitch. The habit of easing off when they appear to be in full control has hampered Mayo for years; the game against Sligo this year is a perfect example of what I mean.

Mark Lynch is twice the footballer Star ever was. If Derry are smart they'll stick him inside and have a field day.

What's happened with Ger Caff? A few years ago he was a class FB but injuries and the like seem to have robbed him of his ability to compete in the air. Getting mugged by Star was atrocious because that lad is as basic a footballer as they come and other FBs found him out years beforehand.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on June 30, 2017, 05:28:45 PM

Mark Lynch is twice the footballer Star ever was. If Derry are smart they'll stick him inside and have a field day.

What's happened with Ger Caff? A few years ago he was a class FB but injuries and the like seem to have robbed him of his ability to compete in the air. Getting mugged by Star was atrocious because that lad is as basic a footballer as they come and other FBs found him out years beforehand.
I'm afraid you are 100% right on all counts.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

I wouldn't be confident at all. Not with our ability to find ways to lose. I remember Derry giving us a bellyful of it in the league a couple of years ago. We couldn t handle Kielt or McGucian at all. Lynch has always been a job for us. If our injury situation is as bad as reported we'll do well to get a result. In general our record in qualifiers is awful. Not this team, but if you take Keegan, Higgins, Barrett, Caff, and Aidan O Shea out of this team, it is not quite 'this' team any more.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on June 30, 2017, 08:39:11 PM

I wouldn't be confident at all. Not with our ability to find ways to lose. I remember Derry giving us a bellyful of it in the league a couple of years ago. We couldn t handle Kielt or McGucian at all. Lynch has always been a job for us. If our injury situation is as bad as reported we'll do well to get a result. In general our record in qualifiers is awful. Not this team, but if you take Keegan, Higgins, Barrett, Caff, and Aidan O Shea out of this team, it is not quite 'this' team any more.

In fairness Derry were a bit better then than they are now. Were Cafferky,Barrett on the Mayo team that reached the All Ireland final last year and whats wrong with Keegan?  todays modern day football of high mobility and fitness is probably passing a player like Aidan O Shea by.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 30, 2017, 08:48:25 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 30, 2017, 08:39:11 PM

In fairness Derry were a bit better then than they are now. Were Cafferky,Barrett on the Mayo team that reached the All Ireland final last year and whats wrong with Keegan?  todays modern day football of high mobility and fitness is probably passing a player like Aidan O Shea by.

Things were hardly sedate when he hit the scene so you seem to making a serious excuse for AOS there.

Mayo4Sam

[/quote]

I reckon a lot of people would agree with those points Joe makes there.
[/quote]
Joe has the inside scoop on Mayo these days  ;) :-X
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

Still no sign of a team or numbers on jerseys as it is nowadays from Mayo. Poor form don't you think? Anyway, best of luck to all involved tomortow.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

Mayo (All-Ireland SFC qualifiers Round 2A v Derry, 1/7/2017): David Clarke (Ballina Stephenits);
Brendan Harrison (Aghamore), Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites), Chris Barrett (Belmullet);
Colm Boyle (Davitts), Lee Keegan (Westport), Paddy Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels);
Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy), Tom Parsons (Charlestown Sarsfields);
Fergal Boland (Aghamore), Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber), Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore);
Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore), Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber), Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen).

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

JoG2

Some magic sponge work done down the West!

macdanger2

Same as the starting team the last day except Boyle for Vaughan &  Harrison for Higgins?

Would expect at least a couple of changes

moysider

Quote from: JoG2 on June 30, 2017, 10:27:17 PM
Some magic sponge work done down the West!

Or paper doesn't refuse ink?
We wont know if its a dummy team or not until some time before throw-in.
If that team named is well and plays I'd be a bit more upbeat. If there is a few changes I'd be very iffy.
As selected with Coen wearing 12 I'm trying to imagine how it will shape up. I'd like to see him hold at 6 and give Keegan a more attacking role - that's if Keegan plays. I'm also struggling to see how we can get enough scores to beat anybody convincingly.

larryin89

It has the makings of a very sad day for mayo football, its no addition me raving how great these last few years have been, as neutrals just enjoy sneering it seems at a fantastic group of players who have given their all for the cause. I'll always speak their names with pride though and I'd hope all mayo people will too.

Finest of memories and an enjoyable journey its been .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

mayo.mick

Quote from: larryin89 on June 30, 2017, 10:57:54 PM
It has the makings of a very sad day for mayo football, its no addition me raving how great these last few years have been, as neutrals just enjoy sneering it seems at a fantastic group of players who have given their all for the cause. I'll always speak their names with pride though and I'd hope all mayo people will too.

Finest of memories and an enjoyable journey its been .

Larry, you've been listening to them Kerry bucks for too long  ;D
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

macdanger2

Derry: B McKinless, N Keenan, B Rogers, K McKaigue, C McFaul, C McWilliams, C McKaigue, C McAtamney, D Heavron, R Bell, N O'Loughlin, E Lynn, D Tallon, E McGuckin, B Heron.