The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 21, 2010, 07:34:34 PM
Sorry did I miss something and O'Gara was fantastic against France or was it as I actually remember an ineptitude display and trhe worst 10 performance of the 6 nations.

O'Gara was a great servant but time does not stand still so whether you agree or this agree Sexton is there to stay hopefully McKinney or Keatly can step up but when you seem such talented players such as Stauton and Andy Dunne fail to make it, you have to wonder we're they going to come from.  7,9 and 10 - that is where Ireland are stuggling to develop talent.
The worst ten preformance of the 6 nations? Did you watch much of it? Rog was worse than Wilkinson or Gower? If ROG was such a liablity why did he have to be parachuted in twice against England and Scotland to win the match? We on one six nations match with Sexton at the helm. One. And here you are lambasting ROG for being the outhalf during the defeat to the champions. IMO Sexton is being foisted upon this team and whilst I think he should be given his chance he has clearly been found wanting.
"Time does not stand still". A Shakespeare quote is no reason to play your second best outhalf in international rugby. I don't see why people should consider Sexton's "development" more important than the fortunes of the Irish side. The way I see it now is the team thought they were getting a new out-half but instead we've been sold a second 3/4. Sexton needs to go back to leinster, sort out his game and return when he's ready to take on all the roles of an international fly-half.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dinny Breen

You extoll his virtues yet fail to recognsce his limitations which were so apparent in the French game, beating France in Paris is the bench mark we set ourselves, O'Gara has never delivered that and has never delivered in a World Cup, short-term pain is worth a lot more than short-term success.

People seem to want Sexton to fail, a mind-set I'll never understand.
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 22, 2010, 10:19:10 AM
You extoll his virtues yet fail to recognsce his limitations which were so apparent in the French game, beating France in Paris is the bench mark we set ourselves, O'Gara has never delivered that and has never delivered in a World Cup, short-term pain is worth a lot more than short-term success.

Saw some Irish fans booing his goalkicks and saw others booing ROG's kicks. And some rugby fans look down on GAA fans. :D.

I have never attended a sporting occasion like Saturday where fans boo their own player. Unbelievable. It was actually quite disgusting.

Olaf

Quote from: INDIANA on March 22, 2010, 11:04:00 AM

Saw some Irish fans booing his goalkicks and saw others booing ROG's kicks. And some rugby fans look down on GAA fans. :D.

I have never attended a sporting occasion like Saturday where fans boo their own player. Unbelievable. It was actually quite disgusting.

Booing of Parks' when taking the  winning kick was bad form too. Very uncommon at any rugby match. Fans let themselves down.

Scotland fully  deserved it and any other result would have been a travesty IMHO.

bingobus

Surely not. Rugby fans are all brillant, fun, loyal, sporting and one of a kind.

Must have been nasty soccer fans that got in by mistake.

Ireland looked like a team that just expected to turn up and win without too much effort. When Scotland met them head on, they couldn't raise there game enough to pull out a win. Very surprising display from a kidney team. Maybe the players are already in Heineken cup mode.

INDIANA

Quote from: bingobus on March 22, 2010, 11:59:13 AM

Surely not. Rugby fans are all brillant, fun, loyal, sporting and one of a kind.

Must have been nasty soccer fans that got in by mistake.

Ireland looked like a team that just expected to turn up and win without too much effort. When Scotland met them head on, they couldn't raise there game enough to pull out a win. Very surprising display from a kidney team. Maybe the players are already in Heineken cup mode.
Typical of the Leinster v munster rivalry at the moment. Like a crowd of kids. They'd want someone from the other province to miss even if it meant their country losing. Comical. But quite disgusing as well.
I was astonished at how many people sang Irealnds call with gusto yet didn't sing Amhran na Bhfiann. The scottish fans thought this was hilarious.

longrunsthefox

I was at the game and didn't hear any Irish supporters booing ROG's or Johny Sexton's kicks. Certainly not in the vicinity  of the lower Cusack. Maybe it was a few Scottish supporters. If it is true, that is the pits and can't be considered as Irish supporters. That is something I have never encountered in any sport... booing as they take a free kick though I have heard 'supporters' boo their own players in GAA

johnneycool

Scotland have improved and were unlucky/stupid in some of their games this year whereas Ireland have tread water and maybe the pack/scrum is probably the worst in the 6N's

Olaf

Quote from: johnneycool on March 22, 2010, 12:14:11 PM
Scotland have improved and were unlucky/stupid in some of their games this year whereas Ireland have tread water and maybe the pack/scrum is probably the worst in the 6N's

Very true. Man for man (maybe apart from the respective wingers) every Scottish player was  better than their Irish counter-part.

Never thought that I'd be in a position where I was actually thinking it may be a good idea to bring on O'Gara. The manner of the  substitution was comical.

Main Street

O'Gara was a part of a winning side in Paris.

He is 33? now and still (as we could clearly see) has an invaluable contribution to make from the bench.
If Johnny surpasses  O'Gara's performances for Ireland, he will indeed be regarded as a superb player.

Dinny Breen

He started and failed to deliver, Humphrey's brought that good ship home. Out-half play has evolved, if it was just about kicking your points and playing the corners well then O'Gara is your man, he is a liability in defence, has no break and is poor of his left. I have no problem with him been part of a squad but he should not start any game Ireland needs to move forward and O'Gara needs to guide Sexton, not compete with him.
#newbridgeornowhere

mc_grens

I'm a huge ROG fan, but we must think of the future. This whole situation is very similar to when Stephen Larkham came into the Australian side. He had very similar strengths and weaknesses to Johnny Sexton.

They kept the faith, he worked on his game, and the Aussies ended up with one of the greatest Out Halves of all time.

Sexton is young, and he'll learn. But we must give him a chance to do that.

Olaf

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 22, 2010, 01:06:05 PM
He started and failed to deliver, Humphrey's brought that good ship home. Out-half play has evolved, if it was just about kicking your points and playing the corners well then O'Gara is your man, but he should not start any game Ireland needs to move forward and O'Gara needs to guide Sexton, not compete with him.

In reality that is all that he has ever been able to do. Sometimes he does it well , sometimes not.(more common in recent years)

To start any game with O'Gara at this stage is a hugely regressive step.

That said, sexton's place kicking at the moment is tosh.

Main Street

I hope Johnny uses his time well to listens and learn from O'Gara  :)

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 22, 2010, 01:06:05 PM
He started and failed to deliver, Humphrey's brought that good ship home. Out-half play has evolved, if it was just about kicking your points and playing the corners well then O'Gara is your man, he is a liability in defence, has no break and is poor of his left. I have no problem with him been part of a squad but he should not start any game Ireland needs to move forward and O'Gara needs to guide Sexton, not compete with him.
I would have agreed with you up to last weekend. But ROG will start against NZ. You can put your house on it. You have to kick your goals at this level and thus ROG will get the nod. Sexton has miles more to his game but until he kicks his goals ROG will start for the next few games. I have no doubts on that with Kidney picking the team. Parks is incredibly limited but he can kick and thats why Ruairi Jackson isn't starting for Scotland.

The manner of the substitiute was a disgrace- heart went out to Sexton. It was absolutely embarrassing for the chap. Showed the panic on the line as well.