The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Couldn't really argue too much with that selection. If Sexton and Ferris are injured there's not much can be done.

I don't know much about McLaughlin but the consensus seems to be he is good enough to make the step up so fair play to him. Trimble in for Fitzgerald is maybe a contentious one but I saw him against Bath and though he was outstanding with his individual try being as good as I've witnessed this year!

I think we will struggle in the Scrum but that we will have too much for Italy. Against the other 4 teams I think we are weaker in the Scrum so we'll have to rely heavily on our Lineout and open play to get us through. The Grand Slam is definitely still on though and I'm looking forward to the Championship!

ha ha derry

Paddy Wallace is a failed experiment.
Peter Stringer should start never mind not make the bench.
Shane Horgan will feel aggrieved v Trimble. Trimble is good in attack but a poor defender.

J OGorman

1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
3 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
6 - Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

the Italians as always will be ferocious up front, but the current grand inning slam pack will be weaker than Scotland and Englands for example? Hows that?

Squad looks strong with competition for places everywhere..should be a mighty championship

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ha ha derry on February 02, 2010, 02:06:47 PM

You obviously didn't see Stringer play in the A game at the weekend against the England Saxons. He was absolutely woeful.

Celt_Man

I know Ferris is injured but good to see McLaughlin getting a start, very much deserved after some great performances for Leinster.... 

I would expect Flannery and Best to get in around a half each - game time both badly need.  Also it would be good for Court to get on the field for at least 20 minutes - a full half would be better though, I'm sure the rest would stand to the Bull next week in the French game
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 02, 2010, 02:42:12 PM

You obviously didn't see Stringer play in the A game at the weekend against the England Saxons. He was absolutely woeful.

Didn't see the game but one of the lads did and said the same.  He was very disappointed with Stringer

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 02, 2010, 02:43:30 PM

Didn't see the game but one of the lads did and said the same.  He was very disappointed with Stringer

He was shockingly bad in fairness. He'll be doing well to even make the bench for Ireland A from now on.

Celt_Man

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 02, 2010, 02:46:52 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 02, 2010, 02:43:30 PM

He was shockingly bad in fairness. He'll be doing well to even make the bench for Ireland A from now on.

And in fairness Boss is back showing some damn good form again... he was very good against Bath and Edinburgh in the 'Ken Cup

ha ha derry

Who was playing outside him ?

screenexile

Quote from: ha ha derry on February 02, 2010, 03:48:38 PM

Paddy Wallace!

Have to say I'm no great fan but Kidney likes him and he is probably just shading it as the 3rd best Out Half (And Second best no. 12 Behind D'Arcy) we have at the minute ahead of Keatley and slightly ahead of Humphreys.

However I would expect Humphreys to push on this season and next to get himself in the squad for the World Cup with Paddy Wallace being a permanent backup at Centre.

As for Stringer well no he's just not up to it anymore. He was useful in his day but he's not getting any regular game time with Munster and he has fallen well behind O'Leary, Reddan and Boss in the pecking order. In saying that I've seen Reddan a couple of times recently and I haven't been that impressed. He needs to get his act together as on form he could overtake O'Leary and he will be vital to Leinster's hopes of retaining the Heineken!

GalwayBayBoy

He could have had Dan Carter outside him and it wouldn't have mattered as his passes were going all over the shop. High, low, right, left and occasionly straight.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: screenexile on February 02, 2010, 04:48:57 PM

Paddy Wallace!

Have to say I'm no great fan but Kidney likes him and he is probably just shading it as the 3rd best Out Half (And Second best no. 12 Behind D'Arcy) we have at the minute ahead of Keatley and slightly ahead of Humphreys.

However I would expect Humphreys to push on this season and next to get himself in the squad for the World Cup with Paddy Wallace being a permanent backup at Centre.

As for Stringer well no he's just not up to it anymore. He was useful in his day but he's not getting any regular game time with Munster and he has fallen well behind O'Leary, Reddan and Boss in the pecking order. In saying that I've seen Reddan a couple of times recently and I haven't been that impressed. He needs to get his act together as on form he could overtake O'Leary and he will be vital to Leinster's hopes of retaining the Heineken!

I don't think Humphries will ever be too involved in the Ireland set-up under Kidney. He just doesn't seem to fancy him for whatever reason. O'Gara will still be around by the time the World Cup comes around. I'd say Keatley will probably go to Munster in a year or two to be groomed as his replacement. Warwick seems at home at full-back although hopefully Felix Jones can challenge him in the next few years.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

trileacman

Quote from: screenexile on February 02, 2010, 01:58:59 PM
Couldn't really argue too much with that selection. If Sexton and Ferris are injured there's not much can be done.

I don't know much about McLaughlin but the consensus seems to be he is good enough to make the step up so fair play to him. Trimble in for Fitzgerald is maybe a contentious one but I saw him against Bath and though he was outstanding with his individual try being as good as I've witnessed this year!

I think we will struggle in the Scrum but that we will have too much for Italy. Against the other 4 teams I think we are weaker in the Scrum so we'll have to rely heavily on our Lineout and open play to get us through. The Grand Slam is definitely still on though and I'm looking forward to the Championship!
Trimble shouldn't play. It was a Horgan/Earls toss up with Earls possibly shading it. Trimbles try was against bath. He's a stupid defender as opposed to a bad one and an average attacker with little pace. Watch Trimble's try on Youtube, Ulster's tight-head catches up with him at the end.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Bord na Mona man

It looks a sensible selection. Form gets rewarded by Kidney, with EOS it was often harder to get off the team than on it.
I don't believe Trimble and McLaughlin were even on the bench for the big November internationals, but they are worth their places having played well since.

The front row is in for a huge test. Flannery and Best are both recovering from lay offs. Hayes and Healy could be going through the reverse gears in the scrum.

tyroneboi

Quote from: trileacman on February 02, 2010, 05:33:12 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 02, 2010, 01:58:59 PM

Trimble shouldn't play. It was a Horgan/Earls toss up with Earls possibly shading it. Trimbles try was against bath. He's a stupid defender as opposed to a bad one and an average attacker with little pace. Watch Trimble's try on Youtube, Ulster's tight-head catches up with him at the end.

Does he bollix catch up with Trimble. Trimble wasn't going flat out as he got into Baths half because he was facing 2 or 3 defenders and then he turned on the gas towards the end to go round them plus Joe Mattock the Bath full back is no slouch either.

Trimble deserves to be on the starting line up though i would say it was close between him and Horgan. Haven't been impressed by Earls since the Autumn internationals and he has played most of his rugby in the centre this season anyway. Disappointed Ferris and Sexton weren't fit but should still have far too much for Italy on Saturday. Hopefully leaving the two lads out is just precautionary for the trip to Paris the following weekend.