Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

So here we go, can't wait for this game. Mayo got exactly what they needed out of today, got the win, played in second gear and didn't show their full hand yet. I think the Galway forwards have the beating of the Mayo backs but our defence is our weak link. Midfield will have a big bearing, Ó Curraoin and Conroy need to really put it up to Seamie O'Shea and Tom Parsons, Fiontán especially.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Duine Eile on May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM
So here we go, can't wait for this game. Mayo got exactly what they needed out of today, got the win, played in second gear and didn't show their full hand yet. I think the Galway forwards have the beating of the Mayo backs but our defence is our weak link. Midfield will have a big bearing, Ó Curraoin and Conroy need to really put it up to Seamie O'Shea and Tom Parsons, Fiontán especially.
That was said last year also before the Mayo game but the defensive Galway system ended up holding Mayo to 12 points. While Galway have some good forwards the Mayo backs will take some beating so don't expect this game to be high scoring.

macdanger2

Any word on Mcloughlin's injury?

Duine Eile

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 21, 2017, 11:50:49 PM
Any word on Mcloughlin's injury?

Missed that, what happened to him? Seamie O'Shea got a nasty knock to the head as well, looked fairly groggy going off. The Galway defence played out of their skins last year, that same 6 haven't played together yet this year, David Walsh doesn't inspire me with confidence at full back and our entire half back line are very attack minded which leaves us very open at times. I think we also need to keep Keegan and Durcan as busy as possible in their own defence, our wing forwards track back quite a lot which will suit those two just fine, we need to keep them away from scoring opportunities as much as possible.

MayoBuck

It looked like a dead leg or knock of some sort for McLoughlin. Hopefully Harisson is back for us as well.

seafoid

One of the things I read after the drawn Connacht final last year between Galway and Ros was that neither team knew how to put a match away after 5 years living under the shadow of Mayo. This match is another learning session for Galway .

In 2012 both Mayo and Galway hurlers reached the All Ireland final and lost. Galway hurlers lost another 1 and Mayo 2 but Mayo''s experience seems to have been much more traumatic  and emotionally intense.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ballinaman

Quote from: seafoid on May 22, 2017, 05:06:24 AM
One of the things I read after the drawn Connacht final last year between Galway and Ros was that neither team knew how to put a match away after 5 years living under the shadow of Mayo. This match is another learning session for Galway .

In 2012 both Mayo and Galway hurlers reached the All Ireland final and lost. Galway hurlers lost another 1 and Mayo 2 but Mayo''s experience seems to have been much more traumatic  and emotionally intense.
No youtube link to a song? I'm disappointed seafoid. You're making it more intense

Chimley

Galway seem to have the upper hand on us at all levels recently. Hard to see us winning in Salthill this year when we couldn't last year in Castlebar. A year older for our lads and a year more experience including promotion to Division 1 for Galways young guns.  We should certainly be going in as underdogs and with the amount of mileage on the clock for this team, I am afraid that the young legs in the Galway team could run rings around us again.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Chimley on May 22, 2017, 02:38:11 PM
Galway seem to have the upper hand on us at all levels recently. Hard to see us winning in Salthill this year when we couldn't last year in Castlebar. A year older for our lads and a year more experience including promotion to Division 1 for Galways young guns.  We should certainly be going in as underdogs and with the amount of mileage on the clock for this team, I am afraid that the young legs in the Galway team could run rings around us again.

I would have serious reservations about our full-back line. It's going to be a similar enough looking full-back line to last year who were grand when they had a lot of protection in front of them but their lack of size and physique were later horribly exploited by Tipp. Some great young prospects coming through in that line for Galway but they won't be ready for another year or two yet. It doesn't help that nearly all our half-backs seem to prefer bombing up the pitch to defending and our centre-half looks like it's going to be a converted forward.

That said from midfield up it looks like Galway have plenty to worry Mayo with with a great mix of brute force, pace and skills. Depending on what combination of players he goes with.

I think it could be a dour enough low scoring game though as I don't think Walsh trusts that full-back line to hold up if they go one on one so the blanket may get another airing out of the cupboard.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Chimley on May 22, 2017, 02:38:11 PM
We should certainly be going in as underdogs and with the amount of mileage on the clock for this team, I am afraid that the young legs in the Galway team could run rings around us again.

There is no way on earth Mayo will be underdogs for this match!!!

Mayo got caught on the hop last year, it is hard to imagine that they will do the same and sleepwalk into Salthill in three weeks time expecting that they only have to show up to get the win as from 2011 to 2015. Mayo will be happy enough with the game yesterday I'd imagine, easily kept Sligo at arms length, they were never in any danger of losing that match, have showed nothing in terms of new game plans and have a number of issues to look to improve upon.
The Mayo backs are going to be a tough nut for Galway to crack, Durcan was superb again yesterday and Harrison will be a big boost on his return. Plenty has been said about the Mayo HB line before but it's very formidable.
Galway will have to win the midfield battle as they did last year in Castlebar to have any chance. I'm not sure what to make of the Mayo forwards as a unit but the Galway backs are certainly considered the weakest part of the team.

That said, I think Galway are better this year than last year and it will be very disappointing if Galway don't put in a big performance in defence of their Connacht crown. Whether it will be enough to beat Mayo, assuming Mayo come at the level that they can play at, is doubtful given the clear gap between the top 5-6 sides and the chasing pack but it will be definitively answered on June 11th.

Jinxy

Get that wasp off my sangwidge!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Blowitupref

I know he won All Star last year but who would Harrison replace in the Mayo back six of Barrett,Cafferky,Higgins,Boyle,Keegan,Durcan which is arguably their strongest defence.

AOS replacing his younger brother will probably be the only change to the starting 15 from yesterday.

Galway should be wary of the media taking them up. Many Galway supporters have the opinion they are better this year but I'm not sure what this is based on? The division 2 they got promoted out of was weaker than 2016 IMO and it remains to be seen how Galway will now fare in the much higher level of division one football.

Mayo to win for me because they will have a better goalkeeper starting this game a better defence,stronger midfield and D O Connor will be fit to start this game unlike last year
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 22, 2017, 04:52:12 PM
I know he won All Star last year but who would Harrison replace in the Mayo back six of Barrett,Cafferky,Higgins,Boyle,Keegan,Durcan which is arguably their strongest defence.

AOS replacing his younger brother will probably be the only change to the starting 15 from yesterday.

Galway should be wary of the media taking them up. Many Galway supporters have the opinion they are better this year but I'm not sure what this is based on? The division 2 they got promoted out of was weaker than 2016 IMO and it remains to be seen how Galway will now fare in the much higher level of division one football.

Mayo to win for me because they will have a better goalkeeper starting this game a better defence,stronger midfield and D O Connor will be fit to start this game unlike last year

I'd venture it was the possibly the weakest Division 2 in a good few years.

Also something that I think will count against Galway is the length of time they spent down in Division 2. Combine that long stretch in Division 2 and their recent dismal record in the championship (bar the Mayo game last year when is the last time they beat any sort of team in the championship?) and I definitely think there is a serious possibility of some folk over-estimating where they are.

An Fhairche Abu

Galway should be wary of the media taking them up. Many Galway supporters have the opinion they are better this year but I'm not sure what this is based on?

Talking them up to what? You can only compare this current Galway team to what was there in Galway for 2013/2014/2015 etc. and judge improvements on that basis.
To compare Galway to the established Division One teams, of course anyone with half a clue knows we aren't at that level.

For me anyway I'm basing it purely on the games I've been at this year so far compared to what I saw last year and in previous years, there's certainly a better squad (it was players sprung from the bench who were the key to winning the league final) this year than last. That is not to say that they are world beaters by any stretch and for parts of some games Galway were poor, more frustratingly they looked quite good in other parts of the very same games.

The general media (Sunday Game analysts, the "big name" columnists) haven't a clue about where anyone truly is at outside of Division one - unless they are from a county in Div 2-4 themselves - to be honest, they don't go to the matches and they rely on the usual clichés which may have no resemblance or basis to the actual reality.

Galway are coming from an unbelievably low base in the general scheme of things and the Tipp capitulation last year left a very bad taste, we are well aware of the ongoing weaknesses and there's no doubt that Galway are still a way off the top teams but there is progress being made I feel, losing to Mayo in three weeks time won't change any of that, nor if they get dumped out of Division One next year either, they are still a better outfit than what was representing the county in some recent previous years.

Crete Boom

I would take out O'Shea the youngest and put Higgins at half forward in a free role like Horan was trying in 2013. Harrison would go back in the corner doing what he does best quietly putting the shackles on whatever forward he marks!! Higgins would provide cover with Boyler to allow Durcan and Keegan drive forward!!