Media targetting of amateur players

Started by Tubberman, May 18, 2017, 01:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

He thinks he's safe in Michigan?
The Mayo Mafia has very long arms...
If you were any use you'd be playing.

maigheo

Who gives a flying fu-k what Fergus Connolly thinks.He has no clue how Aiden oShea or any of the other players prepare themselves to play for Mayo.Reading that article you would think the Mayo players are ill disciplined and ill prepared .Coming from some one who has had experience in the prep of inter county teams I hope he was misquoted in that article as it makes him look absolutely clueless

Jinxy

This just demonstrates how unwise Aidan was to engage with the Breheny stuff once it had more or less faded into the background.
The Indo has got some mileage out of him in the last few weeks.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Scarlet

If ge is based in the USA then mire than likely ge was given a sunopsis on what is being talked about here and then asked what he makes of it...
As I said already Brogan has done way more media down the years but never gets grief over it as he has won it all.
Cillian O'Connor is another in Mayo who has Eir  and Lucozade gigs but he isnt mentioned because he is perceived as more of a head down man. O'Shea is tied in with players revolt and being too big for his boots.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 21, 2017, 04:30:01 PM
If ge is based in the USA then mire than likely ge was given a sunopsis on what is being talked about here and then asked what he makes of it...
As I said already Brogan has done way more media down the years but never gets grief over it as he has won it all.
Cillian O'Connor is another in Mayo who has Eir  and Lucozade gigs but he isnt mentioned because he is perceived as more of a head down man. O'Shea is tied in with players revolt and being too big for his boots.

If you kept up with the revolt you'd know it was driven by the Breaffy and Ballintubber boys, namely the O'Sheas and COC and Dillon. Why O'Shea gets more attention probably has as much to do with the fact he has more inate ability than COC as anything else.

Captain Scarlet

Syferus. I know the deal, but I was talking perception and it is perceived that AOS is the main troublemaker and that gets enforced by the Indo craic.
As I pointed earlier all Twitter is full of jokes and this about his selfies which will in turn mean more articles and it not going away.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 21, 2017, 06:52:48 PM
Syferus. I know the deal, but I was talking perception and it is perceived that AOS is the main troublemaker and that gets enforced by the Indo craic.
As I pointed earlier all Twitter is full of jokes and this about his selfies which will in turn mean more articles and it not going away.

The former management team pretty much affirmed that O'Shea was the main trouble maker.

From the Bunker

JOHN FOGARTY: Obsession with Mayo is now a sickness

By John Fogarty
GAA Correspondent

Slamming Mayo is now fashionable and the more outrageous the statement, the better, writes John Fogarty

The Mayo players stand to attention for the national anthem on Sunday. Mayo are an easy target for criticism. Picture: Inpho/James Crombie
Fergus Connolly has a book coming out later this year. That's best to keep in mind when considering the sports science and performance consultant's claim in a Sunday Independent interview Mayo will not win an All-Ireland in his lifetime. When he lambasted Aidan O'Shea for appearing on a TV show because he has yet to win an All-Ireland medal. When he argued a media ban would be the first step to helping Mayo to their elusive goal.

Connolly might argue he would maintain such convictions regardless of his forthcoming publication but then he knows how marketing works too and that Mayo are the easiest of lays. In that regard, he could have been more original but there is an understandable inclination to be in the spotlight as he has something to sell.

A few months prior to Tomás Ó Sé's autobiography two years ago, the former Kerry star levelled Cork, describing them as 'underachievers' and 'untrustworthy'. He might live in Cork but the notoriety cultivated from those comments did his sales little harm.

In a way, such behaviour reminds us of how a GAA president, keen to make a bigger impression with a year to go in office, makes a declaration. In 2011, Christy Cooney flew the kite of the provincial boundaries being redrawn. In November last year, Aogán Farrell said the GAA may in the future need to reconsider the use of the tricolour and the national anthem. Cooney made his remarks in a Congress address but never followed them up. Farrell was answering a question about the meaning of the tricolour and national anthem to non-Irish playing Gaelic games abroad but brought his answer around to the island of Ireland (yet later sought to clarify his comments).

Put simply, each wanted to make headlines.

There was nothing different in what Bernard Flynn's "I'm going to share it — I wasn't going to but I'm going to do it" denigration of O'Shea following his appearance in Mayo's recent challenge game against Meath in Mullingar. The former Meath forward was simply trying to reassert his relevancy. Condemning O'Shea for agreeing to pose for photographs and sign autographs while his team warmed down was indeed as, Flynn initially said on the RTÉ podcast, "a small thing" but he couldn't help himself making it big.

Flynn mentioned he helped organise the challenge game, which took place in his club Mullingar Shamrocks' Springfield pitch. What he neglected to point out was O'Shea was born in Mullingar. His father Jim was a former chairman of the club and was on the Shamrocks team that won two Westmeath senior county championships.

The O'Shea family's connection with the club was not lost on the player and club officials have confirmed to us that his and his team-mates' patience and cooperation with the children was the subject of much positive comment that evening.

Neither did Flynn care to divulge the game was broken up in two 45-minute periods and O'Shea had played the entirety of the first one after which he had joined a team huddle. He appeared in the second period but only for a short time.

It wasn't a surprise that Stephen Rochford took exception to Flynn's comments following Sunday's game. He has a duty of care to his players and protecting their characters should be high on his list of priorities.

In 2011, Jim McGuinness felt compelled to defend his charges in the wake of Pat Spillane "running down" his team after their win over Donegal. A spotlight should be shone Mayo's way but at times it seems it's being done to blind them into crashing again. Mayo have far more reason to be aggrieved with how they are being portrayed than Donegal were. It will be said that they have brought a lot of it upon themselves but much of it is now so tenuous it's laughable.

Connolly is about 40. All things going well, he has at least another 40 of them left. The arguments he sets out for why Mayo won't win an All-Ireland in his lifetime are all short-term explanations. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that slamming Mayo is fashionable and the more outrageous the statement the better.

Connolly criticises O'Shea for doing media work when off O'Shea's back he is doing the very same thing to promote himself. Flynn rebukes O'Shea for being courteous to the kids of his own club to keep himself in the limelight. That's more cynical than Kieran Hughes' black card foul in Clones on Saturday. The actions of the pair are symptomatic of the obsession with Mayo. Just as there is a fixation with success, there is with near-success or failure, term it however you wish.

The slightest shortcoming is magnified to be something it isn't, the merest mistake amplified to ridiculous proportions. Because other than not being good enough on the day, which probably should satisfy us, we can't work Mayo out.

But the words of Connolly and Flynn, following on from others, illustrate that the obsession with Mayo has grown unhealthy. With preposterous declarations and character assassinations, people are making fame off their shame. That says more about those casting aspersions on Mayo than what they think about them.

J70

Haven't been following this, and don't have an opinion on the criticism about the alleged publicity seeking in general, but is Aidan O'Shea really getting criticized for posing for photos with and signing autographs for kids??

I couldn't give a bollocks if it was in his father's native club - why should he get criticized for doing that ANYWHERE?

Kids would be thrilled to meet the likes of him and Michael Murphy and Bernard Brogan and Colm Cooper, all of whom I'm pretty sure stop and pose for pics as well after games.

Captain Scarlet

Like I said earlier it all comes around in a circle over and over. Fogarty is joining in too by writing about Mayo, he is just coming in from a different angle.
As I said it all feeds itself and Mayo seem to have lots of fans who take to Twitter. This is where journalists reside mostly and entire articles online will appear which are in fact a bunch of angry tweets.

westbound

Quote from: J70 on May 23, 2017, 07:32:07 PM
Haven't been following this, and don't have an opinion on the criticism about the alleged publicity seeking in general, but is Aidan O'Shea really getting criticized for posing for photos with and signing autographs for kids??

I couldn't give a bollocks if it was in his father's native club - why should he get criticized for doing that ANYWHERE?

Kids would be thrilled to meet the likes of him and Michael Murphy and Bernard Brogan and Colm Cooper, all of whom I'm pretty sure stop and pose for pics as well after games.

I think Bernard Flynn is/was the only person in the country to criticise Aidan O'Shea for posing for pics and autographs! But somehow it has now developed into a circus of every tom, dick and harry journalist having their say on Aidan O'Shea and all things Mayo.

Taylor

Flynn like many ex-players turned journalists/pundits are trying to cause controversy/talk shite to remain relevant and ultimately earn more ££££

A nonsense story with the Mayo fans rightly taking umbrage about the targeting of one of their players.

Imagine if he actually starts a few games this year - some column inches then

tonto1888

Quote from: J70 on May 23, 2017, 07:32:07 PM

their point is that he done it while the rest of his teammates were doing the warm down. Not that that makes it anymore valid

Wildweasel74

if you had some player walking by all the supporters / kids and signing nothing you be calling him a real ****, yet O`Shea get it in the neck for doing so, go figure.