New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: tintin25 on February 14, 2024, 08:11:08 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 14, 2024, 07:22:35 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on February 14, 2024, 05:52:15 PMLooking for a new car at the moment and seen a car I liked at a dealership last weekend.  Looking to buy outright so appreciate less room to haggle although the dealer wasn't budging an inch.  Would he take £200 less - no, would he do 12 months warranty even instead of 6 - no.  I wouldn't mind but the car had a small key mark on it and scorch on the alloy yet he wasn't being flexible at all.

Was he just being a dick? I once had one say that they wouldn't budge on any price as it was their livelihood and they couldn't afford it. They were blatantly ripping the arse out of it too so I walked away.

Not really.  He was old school and was adamant that the cash price was set correctly and there would be no movement.

It can depend when you meet them. I was buying a car at one stage, I had one in mind but another of the same model just came on sale at a different garage and I liked the colour better. I went along and offered a couple of hundred less than what they proposed, the oily rag called in the boss and he said no, that someone would come along and pay the price. So I went and bought the first car, and noted that a month later the asking price on the second one had been reduced to what I offered.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnnycool

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on February 14, 2024, 07:43:48 PM1 litre engines.
Have two young drivers, so cheap insurance is a draw, but are the engines worth it?

I was told to avoid those 3 cylinder "ECO" engines like the plague by a mechanic who says you'll get about 70K miles out of them and they'll need replaced.

tbrick18

Quote from: johnnycool on February 15, 2024, 10:47:58 AM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on February 14, 2024, 07:43:48 PM1 litre engines.
Have two young drivers, so cheap insurance is a draw, but are the engines worth it?

I was told to avoid those 3 cylinder "ECO" engines like the plague by a mechanic who says you'll get about 70K miles out of them and they'll need replaced.

Those 1litre "Eco-boost" engines have been nicknamed "Eco-bang" around our way...

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on February 14, 2024, 09:35:30 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 13, 2024, 11:42:19 AM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on February 13, 2024, 10:46:47 AM
Quote from: Karl Kennedy on February 12, 2024, 09:13:52 PMCurrently in the process of changing car and trying to source the best 7 seater SUV. From reading reviews the cars that seem best in performances and reliability are Hyundai Santa Fe, SKODA Kodiaq, KIA Sorento, Volvo XC90.

Would definitely be trying to buy a used car at reasonable money. Price of cars obviously increased post COVID so wondering is it best to maybe buy in England instead of Ireland.

Anyone any advice on 7 seater cars that they may already have especially the pros and cons.

Been looking at these models myself recently. If I could afford it I'd obviously go with the xc90. Beautiful Motor and never a recorded fatality as far as I'm aware. Had an older model before but cost a few Bob to run. Newer models better fuel efficiency. The Kia and Hyundai have had face lifts in21/22 so are very pricey in the used market. Although have heard great reviews on both. Kodaq q probably cheapest option with decent reviews too. Top of the range ones a decently kitted out. The prices up North are crazy. I bought a year old kuga in 2018 for 18k. Now a year old Kuga is 23k

Work colleague is a big fan of the XC90's, buys them from somewhere in Scotland though and drives it home, says he can save a few K doing it that way.

XC90 and KIA Sorento definitely have better space in the 3rd row. Kodiaq not as good. All three drive better well to be fair but would say XC90 is best by far. Higher price but you get what you pay for I guess. with whatever one we go with, long term I hope none of the three give any long term problems and are easy to run.

JCool do you know the dealer your friend buys from in Scotland? Thanks
Xc90 is like a tank
Why would anyone buy something like that

NotedObserver

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 16, 2024, 08:37:22 AM
Quote from: Karl Kennedy on February 12, 2024, 09:13:52 PMCurrently in the process of changing car and trying to source the best 7 seater SUV. From reading reviews the cars that seem best in performances and reliability are Hyundai Santa Fe, SKODA Kodiaq, KIA Sorento, Volvo XC90.

Would definitely be trying to buy a used car at reasonable money. Price of cars obviously increased post COVID so wondering is it best to maybe buy in England instead of Ireland.

Anyone any advice on 7 seater cars that they may already have especially the pros and cons.

Been looking at these models myself recently. If I could afford it I'd obviously go with the xc90. Beautiful Motor and never a recorded fatality as far as I'm aware. Had an older model before but cost a few Bob to run. Newer models better fuel efficiency. The Kia and Hyundai have had face lifts in21/22 so are very pricey in the used market. Although have heard great reviews on both. Kodaq q probably cheapest option with decent reviews too. Top of the range ones a decently kitted out. The prices up North are crazy. I bought a year old kuga in 2018 for 18k. Now a year old Kuga is 23k

Work colleague is a big fan of the XC90's, buys them from somewhere in Scotland though and drives it home, says he can save a few K doing it that way.

XC90 and KIA Sorento definitely have better space in the 3rd row. Kodiaq not as good. All three drive better well to be fair but would say XC90 is best by far. Higher price but you get what you pay for I guess. with whatever one we go with, long term I hope none of the three give any long term problems and are easy to run.

Xc90 is like a tank

Xc90 much better than a Q7? Asking as was leaning towards a q7

snoopdog

Xc90 is like a tank
Maximum safety for your family maybe.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tintin25

Guys, bit of advice needed.  My current car currently parked up in the drive and hope to have a new car sorted in the next week or so, all being well.  Realistically I'm not gonna drive the current one again as the exhaust is gone and the sound is unbearable!  It's not worth much and intention is to scrap it, however; my sister wants my current number plate which I'm happy to give.  Do I SORN the current vehicle now, then put number plate on retention and then get scrap dealer to collect it?

P.S Any good scrap dealers out there?

jcpen

Quote from: tintin25 on February 16, 2024, 09:35:39 AMGuys, bit of advice needed.  My current car currently parked up in the drive and hope to have a new car sorted in the next week or so, all being well.  Realistically I'm not gonna drive the current one again as the exhaust is gone and the sound is unbearable!  It's not worth much and intention is to scrap it, however; my sister wants my current number plate which I'm happy to give.  Do I SORN the current vehicle now, then put number plate on retention and then get scrap dealer to collect it?

P.S Any good scrap dealers out there?
The Fire Brigade are always looking for cars for training.
This is one of my 3 usernames.

trueblue1234

Quote from: NotedObserver on February 16, 2024, 08:44:04 AM

Xc90 is like a tank

Xc90 much better than a Q7? Asking as was leaning towards a q7
We were making the same choice last year. Very little in it tbh. We just liked the look & drive of the Q7 better but both are lovely cars imo. The Q7 had a bit more grunt with a 3L engine and from memory MPG was roughly the same. Think 1-2 MPG difference. Had no issues with the Q7 since we got it.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: snoopdog on February 16, 2024, 08:46:40 AM

Xc90 is like a tank
Quote from: snoopdog on February 16, 2024, 08:46:40 AM

Xc90 is like a tank
More likely to knock down a pedestrian due to poor sight lines.
An estate car is a much better family car

LC

Mate at work has a Kia Sorrento and is well impressed.

A big thing for him was the 7 year / 100k mile warranty which you would not get with a Volvo, Audi etc.