You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

It's right up there with people who casually drop in to conversation what salary they're on or how much they made last year or how much they paid for the car etc  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

paco

Noy sure about the rest of you, but when I see it on facebook my immediate thoughts are not of how impressive it is but the fact that that person is shallow and so insecure that they need to constantly reassure themselves and others of their qualifications via a social networking website. Or that they think it makes them more important than others, perhaps.

Puckoon

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 09, 2010, 11:04:41 PM
Quote from: paco on July 09, 2010, 10:44:35 PM
People who put their university (or whatever it may be) qualifications on their facebook name. Eg. John Smith BSC Hons. Do they think it impresses anyone?
I know someone puts it as a signature on their email  :D pathetic.

people who says "they say" as in "they say that's not good for you" or "so they say".

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 09, 2010, 11:04:41 PM
Quote from: paco on July 09, 2010, 10:44:35 PM
People who put their university (or whatever it may be) qualifications on their facebook name. Eg. John Smith BSC Hons. Do they think it impresses anyone?
I know someone puts it as a signature on their email  :D pathetic.

people who says "they say" as in "they say that's not good for you" or "so they say".

/quote]

In certain careers, and companies  -- this is essential practise - and we are required to put our credentials at the bottom of our email in a reoccuring signature. Its very very common in my field, and not something I've ever given much thought to, never mind being pathetic.

Quote from: paco on July 09, 2010, 11:47:24 PM
Noy sure about the rest of you, but when I see it on facebook my immediate thoughts are not of how impressive it is but the fact that that person is shallow and so insecure that they need to constantly reassure themselves and others of their qualifications via a social networking website. Or that they think it makes them more important than others, perhaps.

I am not saying that there is no one in the world who has put their credentials on facebook through a desire to impress other people, but I am pretty confident that that reasoning alone, would be rather unusual. As someone else mentioned, employers are constantly researching potential new employees through these tools. Facebook is more to some people than just a fun thing, it can be an essential asset when looking for, employers, and employees.

I can never help but think that people who get bothered by these small things that other people do, have some self egotistical reason for their botheration. I'm of the opinion that if it truely didnt bother you - you'd never mention it.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 09, 2010, 11:41:31 PM
It's right up there with people who casually drop in to conversation what salary they're on or how much they made last year or how much they paid for the car etc  ::)

These kind  of people certainly have ego and or image issues. Image is obviously very important to them, which is sad.

pintsofguinness

In certain careers, and companies  -- this is essential practise - and we are required to put our credentials at the bottom of our email in a reoccuring signature. Its very very common in my field, and not something I've ever given much thought to, never mind being pathetic.
this is his personal hotmail account puck.
btw, I know people put their job titles on work emails, I've never seen one with a degree title and grade...

As someone else mentioned, employers are constantly researching potential new employees through these tools. Facebook is more to some people than just a fun thing, it can be an essential asset when looking for, employers, and employees.
an employer can look at someone's cv! and if they're checking them out on facebook I'd say they've an idea of what degree they have!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

We have to put as much on there as possible. For example - there are three grades of my particular title, and I am the second of the three. I have to acknowledge that so that I dont get expected to have the experitise, or responsibility of the highest of the three, if that makes sense. Also, it lets customers, clients and co-workers know what level of service to expect from me. When I make it to the third level - they can expect third level service and training and so on.

And that is where the glass ceiling kicks in! :-[

paco

Quote from: paco on July 09, 2010, 11:47:24 PM

I am not saying that there is no one in the world who has put their credentials on facebook through a desire to impress other people, but I am pretty confident that that reasoning alone, would be rather unusual. As someone else mentioned, employers are constantly researching potential new employees through these tools. Facebook is more to some people than just a fun thing, it can be an essential asset when looking for, employers, and employees.

I can never help but think that people who get bothered by these small things that other people do, have some self egotistical reason for their botheration[/b]. I'm of the opinion that if it truely didnt bother you - you'd never mention it
[/quote]

OR perhaps I was browsing through facebook and saw someone guilty of the aforementioned geargrinder, thought to myself "what a dickhead" and posted it on this thread.

Puckoon

100 degrees here hitting 101 this weekend, the AC unit is busted and the quotes are around 650$ to fix the hoor.

Franko

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on July 15, 2010, 11:47:37 PM
100 degrees here hitting 101 this weekend, the AC unit is busted and the quotes are around 650$ to fix the hoor.

I'll fix it for $100 if you fly me over
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gerry

Quote from: Puckoon on July 15, 2010, 11:47:37 PM

come home, its raining here for the next 40 days, so they say
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

rosnarun

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on July 09, 2010, 11:38:49 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 09, 2010, 11:25:44 PM
Quote from: paco on July 09, 2010, 11:13:39 PM
3 or 4 years and thousands of pounds of debt for a few letters after your name as the aul boy says. On a (slightly) similar note, university lecturers who call themselves doctors, where did they get that idea?

theres a few grand wasted.
Doctor is an academic title not a medical
one in fact most medical doctors are not qualified enough to genuinely earn the title.
and yes titles do actually impress employers. with people educated to degree level earning significantly more that less well qualified co-workers . employers do read facebook.

Cop yourself on... He was on about putting academic titles on a facebook page not your C.V... The first being pathetic, the latter being essential..

no but they do check it out to see what kind if potential moron they are hiring
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

tyroneboi

GAA commentators (Sidebottom and Marty Morrisey being the main culprits) using players nicknames in their commentary. Really annoys the crap out of me!

Celt_Man

Quote from: tyroneboi on July 19, 2010, 12:15:40 AM
GAA commentators (Sidebottom and Marty Morrisey being the main culprits) using players nicknames in their commentary. Really annoys the crap out of me!

Yea they just want to show that they are "in" with the players more than us mere mortals...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

EagleLord

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 19, 2010, 12:30:06 AM

Yea they just want to show that they are "in" with the players more than us mere mortals...

I remember that being one of the first things I read on this thread and really thinking, My God I 100% agree with that! Sidebottom always says Mugsy and Ricey, and Morrisy always says Gooch and Star.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: EagleLord on July 19, 2010, 12:48:35 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on July 19, 2010, 12:30:06 AM

I remember that being one of the first things I read on this thread and really thinking, My God I 100% agree with that! Sidebottom always says Mugsy and Ricey, and Morrisy always says Gooch and Star.

Who gives a shite really, some of you are really easily annoyed, everyone knows their nicknames and sure when talking in general conversation about the match you will refer to Ricey, Mugsy, Star and Gooch, sure even yesterday, the commentators where calling DONAL Shine, DONNY Shine, big woopty dooo, but i suppose this annoyed ya's as well???????

Turn off the sound if it annoys you that much or spoils your enjoyment of the game  :-\ 
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!