You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on October 23, 2016, 12:07:11 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 22, 2016, 11:42:49 PM

People can put what they want on my old jeep. It's a mess anyway.
I don't get this, but then again I'm not a car person. I'd be more excited about getting a new camera than a new car. Never owned a brand new car. Could never afford one but even if I could I wouldn't.

A scratch can cost hundreds of euros to repair. It can knock value off your car when you go to sell it as it.

They are damaging your property, to avoid damaging their own, and it will cost you money (unless your vehicle has little or no value).
I wouldn't have said a word to her.  I would have got the bag and thrown it as far as I could(hopefully landing in a big puddle) and got into the car and drove off.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

Quote from: laoislad on October 23, 2016, 10:26:32 AM

I don't get this, but then again I'm not a car person. I'd be more excited about getting a new camera than a new car. Never owned a brand new car. Could never afford one but even if I could I wouldn't.

A scratch can cost hundreds of euros to repair. It can knock value off your car when you go to sell it as it.

They are damaging your property, to avoid damaging their own, and it will cost you money (unless your vehicle has little or no value).
I wouldn't have said a word to her.  I would have got the bag and thrown it as far as I could(hopefully landing in a big puddle) and got into the car and drove off.

I would have set my shopping on her car, and said "hello princess. Need any help?" This would have achieved the following:
A) diffused any potential conflict
B) gauged if she was a chancer
C) established equilibrium
D) broken the ice with a cute chick
E) created the opportunity for a hot date - I can imagine the after dinner wedding speech covering how they met and laughing about it
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

I wouldn't even have noticed that there was anything wrong. There's a bag on my bonnet. The woman is stowing her shopping. I have no sense of imminent threat to my car or my financial security. It wouldn't occur to me to be upset. WTF?

I just don't get this car fetish stuff. I see lads who clearly don't care how they look themselves, judging by the dimensions of their guts or their general state of presentation who will have a full on seizure at the thought of their car getting a scratch. It's outside my understanding altogether.

It's only a metal/plastic platform on wheels that's useful for getting you about the place. If you're seeing it as something more than that you should be giving your head a shake.

Edit: On reflection, I take back the last sentence. It's none of my business what anybody else thinks about their car. I only wanted to say  don't understand the adoration of cars.

general_lee

Nothing wrong with wanting to look after and maintain your car to a high standard. Most people I know don't care about their car so long as it functions and treat it like a skip on wheels.

No wides

Quote from: laoislad on October 23, 2016, 10:26:32 AM

That sums you up in a nutshell, especially the running away like a coward bit.  If you had an issue with her why not speak to her you gutless wonder.

laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on October 23, 2016, 12:09:52 PM
I wouldn't even have noticed that there was anything wrong. There's a bag on my bonnet. The woman is stowing her shopping. I have no sense of imminent threat to my car or my financial security. It wouldn't occur to me to be upset. WTF?

I just don't get this car fetish stuff. I see lads who clearly don't care how they look themselves, judging by the dimensions of their guts or their general state of presentation who will have a full on seizure at the thought of their car getting a scratch. It's outside my understanding altogether.

It's only a metal/plastic platform on wheels that's useful for getting you about the place. If you're seeing it as something more than that you should be giving your head a shake.

Edit: On reflection, I take back the last sentence. It's none of my business what anybody else thinks about their car. I only wanted to say  don't understand the adoration of cars.

Surely it boils down to respecting other people's property. Lumping a big suitcase on someone else's car isn't respecting someone's property.
It doesn't matter if the car is a heap of shite or an expensive top of the range BMW.I wouldn't do it to someone else's car therefore I don't want it done to mine.

Also wanting to keep your car free of dents and scratches is hardly having a car fetish. Does keeping my house clean and tidy mean I have a house fetish or just that I take care of things I work hard to get.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

No wides

Quote from: laoislad on October 23, 2016, 12:31:10 PM

Surely it boils down to respecting other people's property. Lumping a big suitcase on someone else's car isn't respecting someone's property.
It doesn't matter if the car is a heap of shite or an expensive top of the range BMW.I wouldn't do it to someone else's car therefore I don't want it done to mine.

Also wanting to keep your car free of dents and scratches is hardly having a car fetish. Does keeping my house clean and tidy mean I have a house fetish or just that I take care of things I work hard to get.

So now you were there and witnessed it all, or maybe you were tipping a woman's shopping trolley over in a supermarket and running away!

muppet

Hardy, it was a suitcase.

I understand Laoislad's urge to throw the case miles away, but I would simply photo her and sue for any scratch or dent.
MWWSI 2017

trueblue1234

Some people are into their cars, others their houses, others their clothes, others toy trains etc. It surely isn't hard to understand someone being defensive about something they are obviously into. I like my cars, can't really afford what I would like, but would still try and keep mine tidy and clean. Some people like to be out in the best shirts, shoes etc. I'd have no interest in that. But I don't look down my nose at anyone who does. Each to their own and all that.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

muppet

There you go lads. I'm sure you won't mind.  :D

MWWSI 2017

No wides

Laoislad would just lift if off, throw it in a puddle of water and run away.

thebigfella

I think the only chip we should be worried about is the one on no wides shoulder. Will be a massive job to polish that one out.

No wides

I am sure you polish precious enough or like miltown get a foreign national to do it,  for everyone.  ;)  Hope the currency crisis hasn't affected your forbes 100 listings too much.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

ziggysego

Long winded quote upon quote on the gaaboard.
Testing Accessibility

muppet

MWWSI 2017