Favourite Pub in Ireland

Started by toby47, April 28, 2023, 09:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You walk into a pub, what's your first drink?

A stout
A pint of beer
A Cider
A wee one (Whisky, Gin, Vodka etc)
Bottle of beer
Other

balladmaker

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 28, 2023, 01:02:09 PM
Has Seán ogs not  closed? Or maybe it's  reduced it's food service days? I know  the hotel in gweedore had shut  so maybe I'm getting mixed up

Anyway Seán ogs  was a great spot and great  food too. Been maybe 8 or 9 year since I been up there though

Seaview and Ostan Gweedore hotels both closed in early 2015.  Seaview already renovated and must be opening to the public soon.  The old Seaview had the finest pint of Guinness I've ever tasted anywhere, and it never changed despite multiple different visits to sample it.  Lovely part of the world and one I always look forward to visiting.  Had never heard of Sean Og's closing though?

Rudi

NAG1

The Harbour, Downings anyone?!

Tony Baloney

This thread will be a valuable resource for people travelling about the country!

maddog

Wee pub across the road from the Ostan was good for pints as well. Can't remember name was beside a Eurospar and a graveyard.

imtommygunn

snoopdog

Some great pubs mentioned here. Old Tom's in castlewellan and Lowry in hilltown.  Bowes is good, careful though you could drown in the urinal. Gravediggers in glasnevin is magnificent
You won't get a better pint in Dublin. Forget mulligans.  Special mention to 2 gems in Sligo. Hopkins in Enniscrone and Austies in Rosses point. Guinness doesn't get better.  Packies in Donegal. I haven't a clue where it is though. I was driven to it by a local. The owner a lovely man serves a magnificent pint.

ziggy90

Quote from: maddog on April 28, 2023, 12:17:58 PM
Quote from: Rois on April 28, 2023, 10:51:32 AM
Found ourselves in Teac Jack in Bunbeg after Christmas.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but there was a trad music festival on in the area, and they were hosting a guitar session in the bar, the fire was lit, it was lashing outside, the wild Atlantic was down below us, and in between the music, I sat listening to the lads at the bar chatting away as gaeilge.  Brilliant.

Other than the fact that I was driving and had a 10 month old and 2 year old with me.  Despite that, the OH had a pint and was sent another one by a local fella in the bar who saw him dipping his finger in and letting the baby taste it.

Stayed in teac Jacks twice and loved it both times. Its not the Hilton for sure but good vibe in the bar with the live music. Weird to hear Irish being spoke by some with Glaswegian accents, lots of cross over that area to Scotland. Sean Ogs just up the road is sound as well.

What about The Thatch, Kiltullagh Maddog?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

maddog

Quote from: ziggy90 on April 28, 2023, 02:55:12 PM
Quote from: maddog on April 28, 2023, 12:17:58 PM
Quote from: Rois on April 28, 2023, 10:51:32 AM
Found ourselves in Teac Jack in Bunbeg after Christmas.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but there was a trad music festival on in the area, and they were hosting a guitar session in the bar, the fire was lit, it was lashing outside, the wild Atlantic was down below us, and in between the music, I sat listening to the lads at the bar chatting away as gaeilge.  Brilliant.

Other than the fact that I was driving and had a 10 month old and 2 year old with me.  Despite that, the OH had a pint and was sent another one by a local fella in the bar who saw him dipping his finger in and letting the baby taste it.

Stayed in teac Jacks twice and loved it both times. Its not the Hilton for sure but good vibe in the bar with the live music. Weird to hear Irish being spoke by some with Glaswegian accents, lots of cross over that area to Scotland. Sean Ogs just up the road is sound as well.

What about The Thatch, Kiltullagh Maddog?

You'll never leave !!

Rudi

Quote from: NAG1 on April 28, 2023, 02:11:08 PM

Good shout, although very packed in summer.

thewobbler

Quote from: NAG1 on April 28, 2023, 02:11:08 PM

Would definitely get my vote.

——

McCaffertys in Donegal Town was brilliant, completely unexpected.

In Westport, the Grain Store (formerly Conway's) is a much nicer pub that Molloys across the road.

Blake's in Enniskillen lives up to its reputation.

I love all the back alley pubs in Belfast but they're now too expensive and lose a mark.

gallsman

What does a pint in Bowe's run you these days?

ardtole

Quote from: gallsman on April 28, 2023, 06:11:49 PM
What does a pint in Bowe's run you these days?

Even though it lies parallel to Temple Bar towards Pearse St, its fairly reasonable in comparison to some Dublin pubs. Its about 10-12 weeks since I was in it, it was definitely under €6 then, I'd guess €5.70\80 for Guinness

anportmorforjfc

Farrens bar in malin head gets my vote. Maybe it's the novelty of where it is but a great wee bar, fantastic atmosphere in the few times I have been and best of all the guiness.

Rudi

Quote from: maddog on April 28, 2023, 02:27:30 PM
Wee pub across the road from the Ostan was good for pints as well. Can't remember name was beside a Eurospar and a graveyard.

? Ostan in Gweedore, graveyard is in Maghergallon,  me thinks you had a few to many .