Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: T Fearon on February 12, 2018, 07:28:34 PM
I have never condoned perverts masquerading as priests and hope they all rot in hell.I do not like anti catholics however accusing the Church of facilitating this and particularly blaming  Sean Brady for Brendan Smyth's existence. As we've seen recently with Oxfam today even organisations try stupidly to protect their reputation by keeping things in house.

I was at Mass in Lurgan on Saturday night and a letter was read out by the Bishop expressing his sincere apologies for Finnegan and his victims and pointed out all the contacts for reporting suspected child abuse today.I have no doubt of the sincerity of the remorse and determination to protect children at all times today
Bishop McAreavey seemed content to condone perverts masquerading as priests when he celebrated Malachy Finnegans funeral mass
Careful now

Applesisapples

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 13, 2018, 12:06:54 AM
I have never condoned perverts masquerading as priests and hope they all rot in hell.I do not like anti catholics however accusing the Church of facilitating this and particularly blaming  Sean Brady for Brendan Smyth's existence. As we've seen recently with Oxfam today even organisations try stupidly to protect their reputation by keeping things in house.

I was at Mass in Lurgan on Saturday night and a letter was read out by the Bishop expressing his sincere apologies for Finnegan and his victims and pointed out all the contacts for reporting suspected child abuse today.I have no doubt of the sincerity of the remorse and determination to protect children at all times today
Bishop McAreavey seemed content to condone perverts masquerading as priests when he celebrated Malachy Finnegans funeral mass
He made a mistake and apologised, which is more by the way than Sean Brady has done. He also has a record of confronting abuse from clerics within his charge.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 13, 2018, 08:57:32 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 13, 2018, 12:06:54 AM

He made a mistake and apologised, which is more by the way than Sean Brady has done. He also has a record of confronting abuse from clerics within his charge.

Bishop John McAreavey is a company man and a canonical lawyer by training.  By his own admission he has taken the standard Church view of clerical abuse and not treated victims properly.  By his training, he believes that Canon Law trumps civil law every time and that there is no compulsion to report clerical abuse to the civil authorities to allow investigations and possible convictions or even to social care authorities who can ensure that such abusers are kept apart from vulnerable people.

This situation regarding the principal of a diocesan school and priest in the Catholic church is not the first occasion where he admits to failing with victims of clerical abuse by putting the reputation of the organisation above the care for the victim and the punishment of the abuser in civil law.

As reported in the Belfast Telegraph:

BY LIAM CLARKE
November 1 2013

Bishop Dr John McAreavey has admitted that he has failed many of his priests and that he has not always had the right attitude to the victims of clerical sexual abuse.

Asked if his primary response had been to protect the Church rather than the plight of the victim or survivor of abuse, he said: "There is no question of that. Yes. A number of times in the past year friends of mine have quoted back things to me I have said 10 or 15 years ago that they remember, that I have forgotten.

"It is no pride to me that I have made a long and difficult journey. I just didn't see this whole thing from the perspective of the victims."

Dr McAreavey made his comments in a frank interview with the Irish Catholic magazine conducted by Martin O'Brien, a leading Catholic commentator.

dec

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2018/02/13/news/winter-olympic-boss-reveals-fr-malachy-finnegan-physical-abuse-1254520/

The leader of the Irish Winter Olympics team has spoken about his experience at the hands of a Co Down based priest later exposed as a child abuser. Co Down native Dominic McAleenan revealed that he was physically abused by former priest Fr Malachy Finnegan...

Mr McAleenan, who now lives in Sweden, is currently in South Korea with Team Ireland at the Winter Olympics. He has used Facebook to reveal how the former priest beat him viciously with a cane, hugged him during the sign of peace during Mass and asked questions about "impure thoughts". The incidents all happened while he attended St Colman's College before switching schools. He explained that on one occasion as a punishment for ringing a school bell the priest "slapped me across the face so my ear was ringing, dragged me into his office.

"He had a cupboard with double doors, he opened it and it was like something out of a sadomasochist horror story. "He had canes and straps and well anyway." Mr McAleen says he was then struck by the cane wielding priest. "(The) first strike hit my thumb followed by another five and I can tell you they were brutal full force whacks and he looked f***ing possessed". The 48-year-old said he was left with a sprained thumb and that after the cane attack the priest said "'let us offer each other the sign of peace', he hugged me and my hands are still under my arms".

longballin

Quote from: dec on February 13, 2018, 04:39:30 PM
https://www.irishnews.com/news/2018/02/13/news/winter-olympic-boss-reveals-fr-malachy-finnegan-physical-abuse-1254520/

The leader of the Irish Winter Olympics team has spoken about his experience at the hands of a Co Down based priest later exposed as a child abuser. Co Down native Dominic McAleenan revealed that he was physically abused by former priest Fr Malachy Finnegan...

Mr McAleenan, who now lives in Sweden, is currently in South Korea with Team Ireland at the Winter Olympics. He has used Facebook to reveal how the former priest beat him viciously with a cane, hugged him during the sign of peace during Mass and asked questions about "impure thoughts". The incidents all happened while he attended St Colman's College before switching schools. He explained that on one occasion as a punishment for ringing a school bell the priest "slapped me across the face so my ear was ringing, dragged me into his office.

"He had a cupboard with double doors, he opened it and it was like something out of a sadomasochist horror story. "He had canes and straps and well anyway." Mr McAleen says he was then struck by the cane wielding priest. "(The) first strike hit my thumb followed by another five and I can tell you they were brutal full force whacks and he looked f***ing possessed". The 48-year-old said he was left with a sprained thumb and that after the cane attack the priest said "'let us offer each other the sign of peace', he hugged me and my hands are still under my arms".

There was so much of that went on, crazed priests, 'christian' brothers and lay teachers beating children

longballin

Yer mates are on Spotlight Tony... more Catholic coverup

theskull1

.... BBC bias ...... blah blah blah 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

This is grim. These cnuts make me sick as do those who covered up for them.

longballin

McAreavey should be made to resign... and arrested

Tony Baloney

McAreavey another weasel like Brady.

Tony Baloney

Astounded that McAreavey is still on the St. Colman's Board of Governors.

Orior

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2018, 11:23:27 PM

St Colmans are doing everything in their power to put this behind them, and identify any other victims or perpetrators.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orior on February 13, 2018, 11:32:45 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2018, 11:23:27 PM

St Colmans are doing everything in their power to put this behind them, and identify any other victims or perpetrators.
They can't do both and it's nor is it the point. Similar to Sean Brady he knew what was going on and is using the same excuse that he told his superiors. I'm sure he's a good man and they were different times etc. but sitting on the BoG is a bit dicey imo.

longballin

Quote from: T Fearon on February 13, 2018, 11:37:37 PM
Painful viewing alright.Bishop Mc Areavey guilty of serious if not unbelievable errors of misjudgement.The anti Catholics will have a field day of course and ignore the fact that the Police were informed about this monster in the mid 90s but also did nothing.

anti coverup and anti paedophiles will have a field day.

ONARAGGATIP

that was very tough watching last night, shocking, although after all that has went on in this country I don't why I was shocked. probably as so close to home.