21st Century Membership issue

Started by Itchy, January 04, 2018, 01:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

21st century issues. Wondering how the GAA manages a situation where kids are from a family where the parents have split up. Kids with mother in County A during the week where they go to schools and then with Dad in County B during weekends.

Can they be a member of a club in each county? Which club should they be a member of by GAA law? Have the GAA any provision for such a set up which most surely becoming more and more prominent?

Any info appreciated.

GetOverTheBar

Can you not be a member of any club, anywhere as long as you pay the fees involved?

Playing member is obviously a different situation.

Itchy

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 04, 2018, 01:49:23 PM
Can you not be a member of any club, anywhere as long as you pay the fees involved?

I'm referring to playing member at underage level.

haranguerer

Can't be a member of more than one club i believe

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Itchy on January 04, 2018, 01:51:40 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 04, 2018, 01:49:23 PM

I'm referring to playing member at underage level.

1 Club. Any transfer would need to go through Croke Park.

brianboru00

Its not really an issue. A child will be in the custody of one parent mainly to facilitate school so I would imagine that is where they would be best to join. Mostly it seems to be the mother that is the guardian. If the child stays for large parts of the summer holidays with the other parent then they would be entitled to train with them and I suspect play in blitzes as well up to U10 level though not 100% on this last part.

But they cannot play competitively - U12 up - for more than one club.

Itchy

Quote from: brianboru00 on January 04, 2018, 10:32:06 PM
Its not really an issue. A child will be in the custody of one parent mainly to facilitate school so I would imagine that is where they would be best to join. Mostly it seems to be the mother that is the guardian. If the child stays for large parts of the summer holidays with the other parent then they would be entitled to train with them and I suspect play in blitzes as well up to U10 level though not 100% on this last part.

But they cannot play competitively - U12 up - for more than one club.

I've a complicated issue. Parents don't speak. Kid is in County A with mother. Father in county B has repeatedly registered kid in a club in that county unknown to mother. Kid trains with club in County A but now cannot play but when he goes to the father he can play down there. I was hoping the GAA had maybe seen this type of thing before and had some allowance (given we are talking about kids) but obviously not.

manfromdelmonte

westbound

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 05, 2018, 01:54:09 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 04, 2018, 02:06:18 PM
not true

Is it the case that you can be a member of more than one club BUT you cannot be a PLAYING member of more than one club (in each code)?

Itchy

Quote from: westbound on January 05, 2018, 03:30:58 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 05, 2018, 01:54:09 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 04, 2018, 02:06:18 PM
not true

Is it the case that you can be a member of more than one club BUT you cannot be a PLAYING member of more than one club (in each code)?

Is the code relevant?

For example, if the kid is playing hurling in one county with one club and football in another county with another club is that ok?

Rossfan

If daddy enrols his young buck in Sligo and Mammy enrols him up in Roscommon who'll know?
Buck plays for Elphin U12s and Tourlestrane U12s?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on January 05, 2018, 03:34:51 PM
If daddy enrols his young buck in Sligo and Mammy enrols him up in Roscommon who'll know?
Buck plays for Elphin U12s and Tourlestrane U12s?

You'd think not but what if Tourlestrane beat say Tubbercurry in a county final and the lads situation is known to them. They appeal and you lose the game. I'm afraid that goes on.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Scarlet

I thought it was purely one club per person with a caveat in terms of codes.
EG if the lad is playing hurling for a hurling only club, but football with a football-only club that is OK as far as I know.
Even training and blitzes would mean that the kid isn't fully covered in terms of insurance at both clubs.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 05, 2018, 05:08:01 PM
I thought it was purely one club per person with a caveat in terms of codes.
EG if the lad is playing hurling for a hurling only club, but football with a football-only club that is OK as far as I know.
Even training and blitzes would mean that the kid isn't fully covered in terms of insurance at both clubs.

This is correct. In Ferbane the lads who play football play for Ferbane, while lads who hurl do so for Belmont.