Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Yea, I dont think Down were trying.

Mourne Rover

Sounds like a very poor first half display from Down in the McKenna semi, going in 11 points behind. There are bound to be a few changes, and we have the wind after the break, but the indications are that Tyrone have barely been out of second gear so far.

Mourne Rover

Definitely a better effort in the second half, and we got it back to four points at one stage, but Tyrone pulled away late on for a nine point win. We now have a better idea of the standard which will be required to get us out of D3, and the trip to Tipperary on the first day is as big a league game as we have faced for quite some time.

Smurfy123

Just home. Men against boys. A 15 minute period in the sending half stopped it from being embarrassing. I just can't see a system in place after 15 months. Thank god it was a second string Tyrone team.

sdg

Quote from: snoopdog on January 12, 2020, 08:38:04 AM
Did Down u20s lose to Antrim yesterday?   I know it was a development game. But cant be a good sign unless they were trying out a host of players.
Who is the management team this year?  I hear a couple from last year have left

Ambrose

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 12, 2020, 04:39:38 PM
Just home. Men against boys. A 15 minute period in the sending half stopped it from being embarrassing. I just can't see a system in place after 15 months. Thank god it was a second string Tyrone team.

It was a Division 1 team against a Division 3 team and it was never going to end any other way. It's very hard going to these games knowing we are going to be on the end of a tanking, but it's where we are right now.

Big week ahead for Down football and Kilcoo in particular. It would be great to see the entire county united behind Kilcoo, as a county we have been starved of success for more than 25 years.

Does anyone know if season ticket holders still get free entry to the club finals?
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Ed Hardy

A real reality check for Down this afternoon, but that was probably the best team we will play all season, its just where we are at these days. After a pretty awful 1st half, they definitely played better in 2nd half, albeit Tyrone took the foot of the gas. Really needed full panel of players too pick from to even get near the top team, and given  we're missing Rory Burns, McCabe, Donnelly, Harrison, James Guinness, and hopefully the Kilcoo contingent.  Sooner these players get back in the squad the better as good few players looked well out of there depth today. Lack of kick out strategy still very worrying.

Smurfy123

Ed i would agree that if it was Tyrone's full squad but they were missing
Mcaliskey
Brennan
Morgan
McCann sub
Harte
Donnelly
McShane
Cassidy
Cavangh
R Brennan
McKernan
Kennedy
Myler
Most if all those would start if fit

Down missing a few but only certain starters missing Harrison and Johnstone

Targetman

Quote from: Ambrose on January 12, 2020, 06:30:10 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 12, 2020, 04:39:38 PM

It was a Division 1 team against a Division 3 team and it was never going to end any other way. It's very hard going to these games knowing we are going to be on the end of a tanking, but it's where we are right now.

Big week ahead for Down football and Kilcoo in particular. It would be great to see the entire county united behind Kilcoo, as a county we have been starved of success for more than 25 years.

Does anyone know if season ticket holders still get free entry to the club finals?
Yep they do, mine would need to come in the post this week!!

Mourne Rover

Everyone will have their own opinion but it is a little surprising Smufy thinks the only certain starters missing today were `Harrison and Johnstone'. The probables list, if everyone is available, might reasonably include both Johnston brothers plus Burns, McArdle, Donnelly, McCabe, James Guinness, Devlin and Mooney.  If all the Kilcoo team declared for Down, then Aaron and Dabs Branagan definitely, plus possibly their younger brother Genie and perhaps Ward and Ryan McEvoy, would also be in the frame. Today was a reality check which confirmed  again that we are nowhere near D1 standard. However, with a full strength squad, promotion from D3 is a legitimate aspiration.

PTC

I see Brolly isn't giving the magpies much of a chance on Sunday hopefully they do the business and bring an all Ireland title to County Down

Truth hurts

Hi all, long time reader of the board and wanted to say a few things.

Ballykinlar is a great spot for the Down centre of excellence
The east Down bias is laughable on here, East Down is the hub of gaa in Down and the rise of Carryduff and Bredagh will increase this.
Good luck to East Down representatives Kilcoo on Sunday, I am sure the whole county is supporting them.

ardtole

Best of luck to Kilcoo on Sunday. Heading to it myself, would be a huge boost to  football in the county if they can get over the line.

befair

Any news from the Kilcoo camp? Any injury concerns? Think they are a great bet at 10/3; Corofin are deserved favourites, but Kilcoo, keep stepping up

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 14, 2020, 10:25:50 AM
Hi all, long time reader of the board and wanted to say a few things.

Ballykinlar is a great spot for the Down centre of excellence
The east Down bias is laughable on here, East Down is the hub of gaa in Down and the rise of Carryduff and Bredagh will increase this.
Good luck to East Down representatives Kilcoo on Sunday, I am sure the whole county is supporting them.
Advice--keep reading and cease posting crap like your first post. ;D ;D