Ashers cake controversy.

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2014, 06:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

Quote from: johnnycool on October 11, 2018, 09:09:20 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 10, 2018, 07:56:18 PM
Proper order. Someone should not expect others to subscribe to their sordid political campaigns. If this case had not rightly been thrown out you would have had people going to Larne getting Saor Éire cakes and  others going to Carrickmore looking for Ulster is British cakes.

But is the converse of that also true?

We use a print company that also prints leaflets for the DUP.

Am I to discern from the fact that because they print DUP party literature that they also have that political mindset and I should pull my business from them in protest?

The majority of businesses are focused solely on profit, and run their businesses accordingly. Ashes would be an exception but personally I think they should have the right to refuse a job because it is at odds with their beliefs.

johnnycool

Quote from: ardtole on October 11, 2018, 09:23:41 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 11, 2018, 09:09:20 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 10, 2018, 07:56:18 PM
Proper order. Someone should not expect others to subscribe to their sordid political campaigns. If this case had not rightly been thrown out you would have had people going to Larne getting Saor Éire cakes and  others going to Carrickmore looking for Ulster is British cakes.

But is the converse of that also true?

We use a print company that also prints leaflets for the DUP.

Am I to discern from the fact that because they print DUP party literature that they also have that political mindset and I should pull my business from them in protest?

The majority of businesses are focused solely on profit, and run their businesses accordingly. Ashes would be an exception but personally I think they should have the right to refuse a job because it is at odds with their beliefs.

How am I meant to know that though?

RadioGAAGAA

Any business has the right to refuse to do a bespoke job. It happens all the time. Its not discrimination*.

No business has the right to refuse someone an existing item based on that person's creed or sexual orientation.

Pretty straightforward to me - not at all surprised that the legal system seen fit to line their pockets to the tune of >£500k in meandering to that conclusion.

*Here, Charles Hurst - I want a new ferrari that is painted black with pink dots for 20p. What do you mean you aren't going to do that? DISCRIMINATION!!!! Whats the equality commission's number?
i usse an speelchekor

armaghniac

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 11, 2018, 09:03:41 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on October 11, 2018, 09:01:46 AM
A sordid campaign according to you. You let the mask slip there a bit, but sure nothing to do with God or your beliefs....

Took the words out of my mouth

I believe that a campaign to undermine marriage, a fundamental building block of human society, is sordid.
God didn't tell me that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tonto1888

Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2018, 10:36:52 AM
A sordid campaign according to you. You let the mask slip there a bit, but sure nothing to do with God or your beliefs....

I believe that a campaign to undermine marriage, a fundamental building block of human society, is sordid.
God didn't tell me that.

So gay marriage undermines marriage? I assume you think divorce is sordid too

trailer

God didn't tell me that.

If you think two people of the same sex getting married undermine's Marriage then you have no understanding of what Marriage is and where the concept of Marriage came from.
Before we can go forward, you must look back.

michaelg

God didn't tell me that.
If it's a fundamental building block of human society, why deny it to gay couples?

armaghniac

Quote from: michaelg on October 11, 2018, 12:10:45 PM

God didn't tell me that.
If it's a fundamental building block of human society, why deny it to gay couples?

Why deny it to someone  and their mother?

Maiden1

Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2018, 12:15:28 PM

God didn't tell me that.

The mother took the order, the son overruled her later.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

HiMucker

God didn't tell me that.

Yeah because that's the same thing  ::) Tell me is there a significant number of people hiding in the closet who want to get off with their son/mother/father/daughter? Are they meeting up in underground nightclubs with other mother and son couples? What part of Armagh are you from  ;D. Here do us all a favour and stick your mask back on and spare us your homophobic bile dressed up as pseudo religious waffle.

HiMucker

Quote from: Maiden1 on October 11, 2018, 12:28:27 PM

God didn't tell me that.

The mother took the order, the son overruled her later.
Your giving him too much credit. That's not what he is referring to. If only.

manfromdelmonte

I thought it hilarious that the company involved actually thanked god after the ruling

as if a celestial dictator had anything to do with a point of law!

armaghniac

Quote from: HiMucker on October 11, 2018, 12:31:10 PM
Yeah because that's the same thing  ::) Tell me is there a significant number of people hiding in the closet who want to get off with their son/mother/father/daughter? Are they meeting up in underground nightclubs with other mother and son couples? What part of Armagh are you from  ;D.

There are some, the exact number is not the point. 

QuoteHere do us all a favour and stick your mask back on and spare us your homophobic bile dressed up as pseudo religious waffle.

Ah yes, the usual resort to abuse, a clear sign that your argument does not stand on its own merit.
Incidentally, which point did I make that was "pseudo religious"?

HiMucker

You think being gay is immoral. There is no point beating around the bush, pardon the pun. I don't think that sort of view deserves the credibility of an indepth debate, others can knock themselves out. I was hardly abusive, I called your views for what they are.

Orior

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 11, 2018, 12:33:40 PM
I thought it hilarious that the company involved actually thanked god after the ruling

as if a celestial dictator had anything to do with a point of law!

I found that quite funny too. God only sides with the ones that pay their Tithes, and doesn't care too much for sinners.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians