Ophelia

Started by J70, October 12, 2017, 03:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: JoG2 on October 19, 2017, 02:33:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2017, 02:20:38 PM
JoG2,

Yes, I understand that. But my view on that was that not only are the conditions perilous, but the high winds make it perilous for others who might have to come and rescue you. So it's not just about you doing something dangerous, it's about you potentially getting someone else do do something dangerous to help you. I think it shows a bit of disregard for others.

In the normal course of events, Extreme Sports are not banned, so there is an acceptance that some lunatics (:) ) might have to be rescued, but at least the conditions for the rescue itself are not necessarily as dangerous as last Monday.

I suppose I'm trying to see this through the extreme folks eyes. They'd have read the charts and seen that the east coast was fairly hairy, but nothing worse than many other days on the coast up until late afternoon when the storm kicks in a bit more. You'd be fairly certain no-one would have ventured in down in West Cork at dawn.
Those 2 wind surfers didn't need rescuing, it was a false alarm. They were already on shore before the rescue team got there.
Meanwhile 3 men on a 10m yacht had to be rescued by the Rosslare lifeboat with 10 volunteers aboard who had to bear the brunt of force 9 and a 6m swell to get to them.
Planes were being allowed to attempt landings at Dublin Airport in wind speeds way above the red line danger mark, endangering the lives of all aboard.
Don't people think that just a little bit odd?

sid waddell

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2017, 02:27:35 PM
If I thought you were serious I'd answer you.
Well, you mentioned so called "extreme sports" as sports where people put themselves "in harm's way". Other posters have mentioned things like motorcycle racing with the implication that perhaps they should be banned.

But why single out these sports?

Why not hurling?
Or rugby?
Or American football?
Or horse riding?
Or any motorsport?
Or any combat sport?

All these sports are sports where participants are putting themselves "in harm's way".

To use the logic that has been thrown around on this thread, shouldn't the cost of ambulances and emergency medical treatment for any injured party in these sports be borne by those injured people because "they put themselves in harm's way"?

Or should it only apply to "extreme sports" because, well, other people participate in them, not "us"?

Eamonnca1

Moto GP races don't generally happen at a time when the emergency services are all stretched to the limit because a hurricane is pounding the country. If someone comes off a motorbike it's usually easy enough to get an ambulance on the scene. And at no risk of drowning in mountainous seas either.

Asal Mor

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2017, 01:50:14 PM
I wouldn't be one of those who say 'leave them there' or 'let them drown'. You can't do that, and our rescue services wouldn't do that.
Our health service let's people die all the time though. Ask anyone of the thousands who are deteriorating on waiting lists.

Franko

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 20, 2017, 01:06:48 AM
Moto GP races don't generally happen at a time when the emergency services are all stretched to the limit because a hurricane is pounding the country. If someone comes off a motorbike it's usually easy enough to get an ambulance on the scene. And at no risk of drowning in mountainous seas either.

Or at a time when the authorities specifically tell you NOT to have a MotoGP race.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 19, 2017, 09:34:39 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 19, 2017, 04:40:28 PM
Quote from: Hardy on October 19, 2017, 03:04:26 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 19, 2017, 02:35:29 PM
There is lot of bollix in this thread.
There is difference between ban all activities with any risk and for one day in 50 years let's not do things that might put the rescue services under pressure.

It's just a microcosm of every other thread on this site and of internet "discussions" in general. AZOffaly's post (#248) is all that needs to be said about this subject by anyone who is reasonable and thoughtful.

Not too many like that.
It's good of you to anoint yourselves as the reasonable and thoughtful ones.

Did we?

Asal Mor

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 20, 2017, 08:19:25 AM
There is difference between ban all activities with any risk and for one day in 50 years let's not do things that might put the rescue services under pressure.

It's just a microcosm of every other thread on this site and of internet "discussions" in general. AZOffaly's post (#248) is all that needs to be said about this subject by anyone who is reasonable and thoughtful.

Not too many like that.

Did we?
Well yeah Seanie. In saying there's not too many reasonable and thoughtful people here, you're assuming yourself and those who share your opinion to be that small contingent.Hardy did it too, but maybe it's a good thing that the reasonable and thoughtful posters have enough self awareness to know they are are always right and not be distracted by alternative opinions.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 20, 2017, 10:00:46 AM

Not too many like that.

Did we?
Well yeah Seanie. In saying there's not too many reasonable and thoughtful people here, you're assuming yourself and those who share your opinion to be that small contingent.Hardy did it too, but maybe it's a good thing that the reasonable and thoughtful posters have enough self awareness to know they are are always right and not be distracted by alternative opinions.

Oh right. You see that was my opinion. I didn't realised it carried the weight of anointment.....I'll have to be careful with those powers.

Keyser soze

Not too many like that.

Did we?

Sure nobody did say that.

There was more an implication that there are a small contingent of arseholes on this thread.

Who are not reasonable and thoughtful.

It appears you consider yourself to be in this small contingent.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 20, 2017, 10:07:29 AM

Not too many like that.

Did we?

Oh right. You see that was my opinion. I didn't realised it carried the weight of anointment.....I'll have to be careful with those powers.

:D

Hardy

Anyway, can't let this thread fizzle out without this.