The Euro in the north

Started by stiffler, May 22, 2007, 01:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

Now there is a devolved government in the north, whats the chances of the Euro becoming the main Currency in line with the rest of the island?

Surely this would help trade with the continent and vice versa.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Evil Genius

Quote from: stiffler on May 22, 2007, 01:49:47 PM
Now there is a devolved government in the north, whats the chances of the Euro becoming the main Currency in line with the rest of the island?

Surely this would help trade with the continent and vice versa.

The presence, or otherwise, of a devolved government in "the north" [sic] has absolutely no bearing whatever on the Euro replacing Sterling in NI. Such a decision would have to be taken in a UK context, by the UK Parliament.

And with Gordon Brown (notably more "Euro-sceptic" than Tony Blair) likely to become PM, I would say the already slim chance of the Euro being introduced in part, or all, of the UK is receding ever further.

Still, I suppose it is only slightly less unlikely than the Republic reverting to the Punt, or even to an Irish Pound tied to Sterling, if that's any consolation... ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Donagh

Who'd have thought a few years ago we'd have had the DUP calling for an all-Ireland tax rate. The Euro will be here sooner or later.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on May 22, 2007, 02:13:01 PM
Who'd have thought a few years ago we'd have had the DUP calling for an all-Ireland tax rate. The Euro will be here sooner or later.

Re. your first point, European Law expressly prohibits a member state (in this case the UK) from imposing differing rates of taxation within its own boundaries, for whatever reason. So the DUP are talking through their hoop (not for the first time, I might add).

Re. your second point, you might be right. But I can guarantee that if/when the UK ever decides to join the Euro, the situation in NI/ROI will be positively the last factor taken into consideration.

Anyhow, any thoughts yet on the substance of Eamonn McCann's observation quoted earlier? Or are you still trying to come up with an explanation or rebuttal which isn't too embarrassing (you know, truth hurting and all that...)  ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

heganboy

QuoteRe. your first point, European Law expressly prohibits a member state (in this case the UK) from imposing differing rates of taxation within its own boundaries, for whatever reason

mostly correct- with the exception of areas of Targeted Social Need and a few other loopholes. Would be interesting to see if they could use the same EU legislation/designation that was used for the PEACE and PEACE II initiatives to push the tax or currency change through. If they did want to push in the Euro, I'm pretty sure that the EU would approve it. Big Gordon however- probably not so keen (unless there was something in it for him)
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Donagh

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 22, 2007, 02:31:28 PM

Re. your first point, European Law expressly prohibits a member state (in this case the UK) from imposing differing rates of taxation within its own boundaries, for whatever reason. So the DUP are talking through their hoop (not for the first time, I might add).

Re. your second point, you might be right. But I can guarantee that if/when the UK ever decides to join the Euro, the situation in NI/ROI will be positively the last factor taken into consideration.

Anyhow, any thoughts yet on the substance of Eamonn McCann's observation quoted earlier? Or are you still trying to come up with an explanation or rebuttal which isn't too embarrassing (you know, truth hurting and all that...)  ;)

EG, I must commend your stout defence of the union today, I'm sure it's safe in your hands, though us Fenians do get a bit of a kick watching you chase your tail over so many threads. Some may even suggest it exposes a deep rooted insecurity in your own position.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Donagh on May 22, 2007, 02:37:06 PM

EG, I must commend your stout defence of the union today, I'm sure it's safe in your hands, though us Fenians do get a bit of a kick watching you chase your tail over so many threads. Some may even suggest it exposes a deep rooted insecurity in your own position.

come on Donagh,
you have to remem to be gracious...

I cannot believe that the cracks are appearing so soon......and especially from the DUP of all people.
Yes they would do anything for money, but were prev well able to hide their interests south of the border without having to go public about this..

Anyhow, how is Connolly house?
Are yez still at the 'classes'  ;)
(you know the old 'hard luck lads..yez had a good innings...800 years and all that, sure it was bound to happen sometime' etc etc ;) :D)

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on May 22, 2007, 02:37:06 PM

The Union isn't in my hands, it's in the hands of the people of NI, as guaranteed by all the people of Ireland under the GFA, as it happens.

The only significant change since then is that those organisations which were trying to smash the Union by force have seen the error of their ways, and their place has been taken by Sinn Fein, in the most seamless of transitions, as they help in the administration of one* of the organs of Government of the Union (Stormont).

Consequently, I genuinely feel that the Union is more secure than any time I can remember.

* - It was notable, though predictable, that when Bertie Aherne recently addressed members of both Houses of Parliament in Westminster, the only party out of over a dozen of all shades (inc.Scottish and Welsh Nats) which declined to attend was, yep, Sinn Fein. Still, with all the swallowing they've been doing recently, that might have been the extra chunk which would have choked them. So I shall leave them, and you, to digest their progress to date.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Spiritof98

Could Brown not use the North as a guinea pig with the Euro. I feel it is going to happen sooner rather than later. The DUP have suprised many people lately even the Rev himself has shown a different light so anything is possible. But something tells me that they are a split party and trouble will flare up with them in the not so distant future ie Dodds/campbell v Paisley/Robinson etc. Leaving the Nationalists/republicans to concentrate on the real issues.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Evil Genius

Quote from: heganboy on May 22, 2007, 02:35:53 PM
QuoteRe. your first point, European Law expressly prohibits a member state (in this case the UK) from imposing differing rates of taxation within its own boundaries, for whatever reason

mostly correct- with the exception of areas of Targeted Social Need and a few other loopholes. Would be interesting to see if they could use the same EU legislation/designation that was used for the PEACE and PEACE II initiatives to push the tax or currency change through. If they did want to push in the Euro, I'm pretty sure that the EU would approve it. Big Gordon however- probably not so keen (unless there was something in it for him)

Hell will freeze over before Brown would allow so marked a change in Fiscal policy, especially on behalf of NI (in which he has never shown any great interest). And the need to rely on a dispensation/loophole from the EU would further irk his gloomy Presbyterian countenance.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Spiritof98 on May 22, 2007, 03:01:52 PM
Could Brown not use the North as a guinea pig with the Euro. I feel it is going to happen sooner rather than later.

The DUP have suprised many people lately...

Leaving the Nationalists/republicans to concentrate on the real issues.

Aside from the technical complications of having two official currencies within one jurisdiction, there is no chance of your first point occurring, since Brown hates the Euro and refuses to cede UK Government control over its own currency. Therefore he neither wants nor needs a Guinea Pig, no matter how much others might wish one upon him.

Re your second point, the capacity of pigs* to shove their noses into the trough at feeding time shouldn't really surprise anyone. And what do they do when in place? Swallow hard.

As for your third point, from amongst the Nat/Rep parties, Sinn Fein have merely demonstrated a superior ability to push aside their more "lightweight" fellows, in the Gadarene Rush for the trough.

The whole thing is a pretty unedifying spectacle, especially for those who are paying through the nose for their swill; but I suppose when they're stuffing themselves, at least they're not spreading bigotry or murdering their neighbours.

* - All due apologies to pigs, who aside from their feeding habits, are amongst the most noble of beasts!
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Rossfan

The DUP obviously recognise that North Eastern Ireland is only assocoated with the YUK but is really part of Ireland.
Good man Ian - always knew he was one of us  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM