Tyrone v Derry - Sunday 12th May - Omagh 4.00pm

Started by tyroneman, April 29, 2019, 01:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real Talk

Quote from: Jayop on May 08, 2019, 04:58:22 PM
Looking forward to this. The wee sneaky win against Dublin, albeit in the league, and the shift in gameplan has me excited for the year ahead. A bit disappointed young Canavan wont be featuring this year but I think it's the right decision. If we are going to go with Donnelly and McShane inside with Harte and Sludden supporting them then where would he realistically play. I think until he becomes undroppable he's going to struggle to make any real impact in the seniors just like a lot of the other really talented smaller forwards we've had recently.

I'd say daddy Peter will be controlling when its best to release 'young Canavan'.   He could appear under the radar in the super 8's when they many County backroom analysist haven't had an opportunity to get to know is strength's and weaknesses

GetOverTheBar

Looking forward to this. The wee sneaky win against Dublin, albeit in the league, and the shift in gameplan has me excited for the year ahead. A bit disappointed young Canavan wont be featuring this year but I think it's the right decision. If we are going to go with Donnelly and McShane inside with Harte and Sludden supporting them then where would he realistically play. I think until he becomes undroppable he's going to struggle to make any real impact in the seniors just like a lot of the other really talented smaller forwards we've had recently.

Tend to agree, but have a feeling Harte will revert to type....hopefully not, but....I just can't believe that he's all of a sudden embraced the style that we seen in last 3/4 games.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 09, 2019, 12:53:57 PM

Tend to agree, but have a feeling Harte will revert to type....hopefully not, but....I just can't believe that he's all of a sudden embraced the style that we seen in last 3/4 games.

Tyrone's style has changed considerably at different points over the years. We were less defensive last year than the previous few years. I'd imagine the plan is to take that another step further with more varied play going forward including the use of the long ball in and more pressing up the pitch.

Fuzzman

Talking of Peter what was your best memory of PTG. Even as a non Tyrone fan.
I'm sure for the Armagh lads it's him being sent off in the 2005 Ulster final.

For me it's when he was near his peak around 1996 I think. Some of the times he took on and beat for or five players. One particular point he scored v Derry in Clones into the town end goal when nobody could catch him.

Jayop

Quote from: Real Talk on May 09, 2019, 11:10:51 AM

I'd say daddy Peter will be controlling when its best to release 'young Canavan'.   He could appear under the radar in the super 8's when they many County backroom analysist haven't had an opportunity to get to know is strength's and weaknesses

I could be miles wrong here but I thought once he played either Sr or U20 in a year you couldn't play the other even after the first team you play for is put out.

screenexile

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 09, 2019, 01:51:07 PM

For me it's when he was near his peak around 1996 I think. Some of the times he took on and beat for or five players. One particular point he scored v Derry in Clones into the town end goal when nobody could catch him.

Sending off in the All Ireland Quarter final 2001!!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 09, 2019, 01:51:07 PM

Taking the ball off Mugsy....as he said himself, he's not sure he could have lived with missing it.

imtommygunn

That goal was superb. He had a very small space in that net where he could have hit it and it wouldn't have been saved. Mugsy's role in that was instrumental in holding the defender off too. It was just clinical.

Some of his points have been a bit more spectacular to watch but that goal was important, clinical and there was a bit of teamwork involved in it.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Jayop on May 09, 2019, 02:54:30 PMI could be miles wrong here but I thought once he played either Sr or U20 in a year you couldn't play the other even after the first team you play for is put out.

Was changed this year at Congress - basically you can't play with both U20 and senior at the same time, but once the U20 county side is finished you can move up to senior.

The final of the U20 is the first weekend in August and lots of teams will be out of the U20 well before that, so I will be shocked if there aren't some few lads who do get promoted to the seniors in some counties.

From what little I saw of Canavan Jr in the league he still looked more boy than man in terms of his core strength.
I could see it being a year or two before he gets the stocky core strength his da had.

Jayop

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 09, 2019, 06:04:31 PM

Quote from: Jayop on May 09, 2019, 02:54:30 PMI could be miles wrong here but I thought once he played either Sr or U20 in a year you couldn't play the other even after the first team you play for is put out.

Was changed this year at Congress - basically you can't play with both U20 and senior at the same time, but once the U20 county side is finished you can move up to senior.

The final of the U20 is the first weekend in August and lots of teams will be out of the U20 well before that, so I will be shocked if there aren't some few lads who do get promoted to the seniors in some counties.

From what little I saw of Canavan Jr in the league he still looked more boy than man in terms of his core strength.
I could see it being a year or two before he gets the stocky core strength his da had.

So long as he's happy with that role then I wouldn't be rushing him in until he's ready. No point ruining a potential star.

Fear ón Srath Bán

The starting Tír Eoghain 15:

1. Niall Morgan
2. Padraig Hampsey
3. Ronan Mc Namee
4. Michael Mc Kernan
5. Michael Cassidy
6. Ben Mc Donnell
7. Tiernan Mc Cann
8. Richie Donnelly
9. Brian Kennedy
10. Mattie Donnelly
11. Niall Sludden
12. Frank Burns
13. Cathal Mc Shane
14. Peter Harte
15. Conor Meyler
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

trailer

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 09, 2019, 09:20:20 PM

1. Niall Morgan
2. Padraig Hampsey
3. Ronan Mc Namee
4. Michael Mc Kernan
5. Michael Cassidy
6. Ben Mc Donnell
7. Tiernan Mc Cann
8. Richie Donnelly
9. Brian Kennedy
10. Mattie Donnelly
11. Niall Sludden
12. Frank Burns
13. Cathal Mc Shane
14. Peter Harte
15. Conor Meyler

Some chance that team actually starting. Why does Mickey name these dummy teams? What's the point like?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: trailer on May 09, 2019, 09:40:10 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 09, 2019, 09:20:20 PM

1. Niall Morgan
2. Padraig Hampsey
3. Ronan Mc Namee
4. Michael Mc Kernan
5. Michael Cassidy
6. Ben Mc Donnell
7. Tiernan Mc Cann
8. Richie Donnelly
9. Brian Kennedy
10. Mattie Donnelly
11. Niall Sludden
12. Frank Burns
13. Cathal Mc Shane
14. Peter Harte
15. Conor Meyler

Some chance that team actually starting. Why does Mickey name these dummy teams? What's the point like?

It might not line up like the above but good chance them 15 start.

omaghjoe

3 debutantes kinda surprised at that.

Cassidy and McDonnell looked decent in the league...Kennedy looked like he was had potential but out of his depth at times

Dire Ear

Is this all ticket, or can you go and buy on the day?