NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 18, 2019, 10:00:49 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on March 18, 2019, 09:04:50 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 18, 2019, 08:40:25 PM
Tyrone away was always going to be a very tough place to get a result but they are flying at the moment making it even harder, still there's a great chance to get to another league final there and at the outset of the league who would have put money on Galway being in with a shout of that going into the last round?

Certainly not me, they've done really well in the circumstances in fairness to them. Be interesting to see how many or will any of the Corofin boys be togged next weekend, I think Jason Leonard could be a real addition to the panel. He's a real unsung hero of that Corofin team.
Doubtful that any of the Corofin lads will be available for next week, they are entitled to celebrate and given that it's not do or die in terms of staying up I don't know that there's any need to push them to get back for it. That said I would not have expected any of them to feature in the league at all this year and they did so we'll see.
Ian Burke and Liam Silke will start in the summer but Molloy simply has to be given a shot at the 5 jersey, he is absolute quality and I'll be shocked if he's not up to that top inter county standard. I would love to see Daithi Burke in there as well but he'll stick to the small ball unfortunately. Outside of Power who'll be the sub goalie I don't know if there will be anyone else in there, due to their extended club runs the likes of Leonard and Wall don't get the chance to impress in the league that someone else such as Ó Laoí has taken with both hands.

Corofin are an amazing club team, the best I've seen but it's still a big leap from club to county, there's a lot of wild talk about at the minute, I had to listen to someone in CP yesterday who assured all around him that Corofin would beat the county team, with all due respect to that opinion, in a hypothetical game that actually mattered, assuming all played to form, there's not a notion of it.

They would struggle against a Division 4 team. That's not belittling Corofin, that's just giving the context of Club and County.

Main Street

Tyrone away was always going to be a very tough place to get a result but they are flying at the moment making it even harder, still there's a great chance to get to another league final there and at the outset of the league who would have put money on Galway being in with a shout of that going into the last round?

Certainly not me, they've done really well in the circumstances in fairness to them. Be interesting to see how many or will any of the Corofin boys be togged next weekend, I think Jason Leonard could be a real addition to the panel. He's a real unsung hero of that Corofin team.
Doubtful that any of the Corofin lads will be available for next week, they are entitled to celebrate and given that it's not do or die in terms of staying up I don't know that there's any need to push them to get back for it. That said I would not have expected any of them to feature in the league at all this year and they did so we'll see.
Ian Burke and Liam Silke will start in the summer but Molloy simply has to be given a shot at the 5 jersey, he is absolute quality and I'll be shocked if he's not up to that top inter county standard. I would love to see Daithi Burke in there as well but he'll stick to the small ball unfortunately. Outside of Power who'll be the sub goalie I don't know if there will be anyone else in there, due to their extended club runs the likes of Leonard and Wall don't get the chance to impress in the league that someone else such as Ó Laoí has taken with both hands.

Corofin are an amazing club team, the best I've seen but it's still a big leap from club to county, there's a lot of wild talk about at the minute, I had to listen to someone in CP yesterday who assured all around him that Corofin would beat the county team, with all due respect to that opinion, in a hypothetical game that actually mattered, assuming all played to form, there's not a notion of it.
Not even Galway with the entire Corofin contingent could put a dent in Tyrone's path of redemption. Tyrone are already the next coming, the next incumbents.

GalwayBayBoy

Ian Burke and Liam Silke will start in the summer but Molloy simply has to be given a shot at the 5 jersey, he is absolute quality and I'll be shocked if he's not up to that top inter county standard. .

Molloy made some fetch over the head of Johnny Buckely at one stage. He's a tremendous athlete and rampages forward straight down the field and even when he passes the ball on he keeps going. Amazing how often he finds himself near the opposition goal. Still a bit raw in his decision making as he tries some wild shots but that's just experience.

Blowitupref

Who will drop out to allow Molloy to start in the half back line? At least one of O Donnell Bradshaw always starts on a Walsh team. Heaney and Kelly switch between half back and half forward. John Daly looks ahead in the pecking order and you have McDaid who could play the wing back role also.

At the moment the only Corofin players that look like certain starters for Galway this summer is Silke and Burke.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 19, 2019, 01:21:43 AM
Who will drop out to allow Molloy to start in the half back line? At least one of O Donnell Bradshaw always starts on a Walsh team. Heaney and Kelly switch between half back and half forward. John Daly looks ahead in the pecking order and you have McDaid who could play the wing back role also.

Galway need to improve from last year all over but particularly in the HB line, if it's a choice between GOD and Molloy then go with the up and coming player. Everyone in the county could see that Ian Burke was top inter county level before he got a run, it was madness that it took so long for him to break into the team. Molloy looks the same to me, in that he looks better than what's already there but again he has to get the chance to show that. O'Donnell is a great player to have available as part of the squad but his days as a starter should be over if Galway want to progress to the next level, Walsh needs to be ruthless in his team selection but I have my doubts.
John Daly has done well and has been one of the bright spots of the league along with Ó Laoí but on all evidence to date of his management style, Kevin Walsh will retain Bradshaw at CHB for the championship.
McDaid could be the best of the lot in terms of potential but we haven't seen enough of him since 2017, he was one of Galway's worst performers against Cavan and just when he looked to be getting into his stride against Dublin he got a long term injury.

At the moment the only Corofin players that look like certain starters for Galway this summer is Silke and Burke.
Definitely agree with that statement although I hope I'm wrong for the reasons I've outlined above.

GalwayBayBoy

O'Donnell was mainly on the bench last year but has been starting more regularly recently but whether that's because there have been so many missing I don't know. Will be interesting to see what happens once Molloy, Kelly, McDaid and even Wall are all back available.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 19, 2019, 12:36:21 PM

O'Donnell was mainly on the bench last year but has been starting more regularly recently but whether that's because there have been so many missing I don't know. Will be interesting to see what happens once Molloy, Kelly, McDaid and even Wall are all back available.

Agree with all of the above. I've no issue with Bradshaw starting, think he performs a very important role in the team and don't think John Daly is going to move him from there this year. O'Donnell is a good player and a decent sub to have but I'd doubt you'll speak to anyone who'll think he's a better player then Molloy; Molloy has some engine on him and given the way Galway plays I'd like to think he could be an important player. O'Donnell looks to have lost a bit of pace too which will be more noticeable in the summer when the ground hardens, will be surprised to see him start should Galway make the super 8's. Dylan Wall was very good on Sunday too, especially in the first half when he was exceptional.

The good news is the panel has a lot more depth to it this year, there'll be some very good players who won't make the matchday panel of 26.

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on March 18, 2019, 10:41:32 PM

Not even Galway with the entire Corofin contingent could put a dent in Tyrone's path of redemption. Tyrone are already the next coming, the next incumbents.

It must be March
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 18, 2019, 02:32:44 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 18, 2019, 09:41:09 AM
Our win over Dublin won't be important come the real stuff in the summer. However, the talk of Dublin coasting and not too bothered about the league doesn't sit with me. I might be wrong but Gavin strikes me as a man that hates to lose. He rolls out the usual platitudes in interviews but I'd be pretty certain he'd have been seriously gunning to get back into a league final.

They're obviously still well ahead of the pack but there is evidence that the gap might not be a wide as I would have thought at the beginning of the year.

That was the most emotion i have seen him show in any after match interview, he looked furious as he remarked about the low level performance Dublin produced on Saturday night and seeing that he is a ruthless manager i wouldn't be surprised if a few high profile players are dropped to the bench for while.

Absolutely. Not getting to the league final was definitely not part of the plan.
Very hard to pinpoint what's not right.
As with the league every year there is always some experimentation, but it's the older lads rather than the younger lads who have dipped.
I'm definitely glad the mark isn't in for the summer!
I'd be very surprised if we don't lose a game in the summer, I just hope it comes before the AI Semi-Final, in which case we'll have a very good chance to bounce back.

ziggysego

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 18, 2019, 03:05:51 AM
Brutal the level of ignorance in our media with the standings. I have seen it reported that Cavan are relegated and that Mayo are guaranteed a league final appearance with a win.
Neither statement is correct.

While it is unlikely, if Cavan win, Ros draw and Monaghan lose and if Monaghan's losing margin plus Cavan's winning margin is greater than 5 (or equal to 5 and Cavan score 6 points more than Monaghan) then Cavan would stay up.

If Mayo, Galway and Kerry all win (or if Kerry draw), Mayo will finish third.
If Mayo and Galway win and Kerry lose, it would depend on margins. Mayo currently +7, Galway +0 and Kerry +11. Most likely Mayo and Kerry in this scenario, but could technically be any 2 of the three.
If Mayo draw and Tyrone beat Galway, Mayo would finish second by virtue of H2H win over Tyrone.
If Mayo draw and Galway draw or win, Galway would finish second.
If Mayo lose they cannot finish in the top 2.

The only way Kerry do not qualify for the final is if Mayo and Galway both win well and Kerry lose heavily. Galway win plus Kerry loss would need to be 12 points

I agree. The best place to get the league standing is on Twitter at @GAALeagueTables.
Testing Accessibility

easytiger95

Quote from: Hound on March 19, 2019, 02:15:13 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 18, 2019, 02:32:44 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 18, 2019, 09:41:09 AM
Our win over Dublin won't be important come the real stuff in the summer. However, the talk of Dublin coasting and not too bothered about the league doesn't sit with me. I might be wrong but Gavin strikes me as a man that hates to lose. He rolls out the usual platitudes in interviews but I'd be pretty certain he'd have been seriously gunning to get back into a league final.

They're obviously still well ahead of the pack but there is evidence that the gap might not be a wide as I would have thought at the beginning of the year.

That was the most emotion i have seen him show in any after match interview, he looked furious as he remarked about the low level performance Dublin produced on Saturday night and seeing that he is a ruthless manager i wouldn't be surprised if a few high profile players are dropped to the bench for while.

Absolutely. Not getting to the league final was definitely not part of the plan.
Very hard to pinpoint what's not right.
As with the league every year there is always some experimentation, but it's the older lads rather than the younger lads who have dipped.
I'm definitely glad the mark isn't in for the summer!
I'd be very surprised if we don't lose a game in the summer, I just hope it comes before the AI Semi-Final, in which case we'll have a very good chance to bounce back.

Wouldn't completely agree with that diagnosis Hound. I was at the game on Saturday and one of the most frustrating performers for me was Con O'Callaghan. Really couldn't believe some of his decisions in the first half, in terms of continually going for goal rather than taking the score on offer, and when he did, for a man who is well able to kick a point from distance, he was dismal enough. He definitely hasn't pushed on in terms of becoming a dominating player. Davey Byrne also got eaten without salt.

mouview

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 18, 2019, 06:43:24 PM
U got a Galway club team playing great attacking fball,  playing to their strengths. With the fball ability available to Kevin Walsh should he not try to get away from that defensive shit.

Oddly enough, there are similarities to the way Corofin and Galway (and many county teams now) play. Often times playing across the back, playing laterally, until someone breaks forward at pace and then a quick interchange of hand passes followed by a score. Corofin just do it better than Galway though.

I've been as stern a critic of KW as anyone, and the performances this year v Rossies (FBD) and Kerry (both in Tuam) were very poor. However, there was much better balance between defense and attack in Castlebar and last Saturday wasn't the worst I've seen either. Maybe he's finally getting the compromise right and hopefully a few incoming Corofin players and eventual injury-returnees will boost things further. Hope they go to Omagh now and have a right go. Momentum at any time of the year is no harm.

Maroon Manc

Had Tyrone gone long as much in the games against Cavan & Monaghan as they did on Saturday night?

Wildweasel74

Itchy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 19, 2019, 04:08:10 PM
Had Tyrone gone long as much in the games against Cavan & Monaghan as they did on Saturday night?

Running game against cavan mostly