Quote from: Syferus on May 30, 2018, 08:58:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2018, 08:52:28 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 30, 2018, 06:57:21 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2018, 05:34:06 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 30, 2018, 04:01:11 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 30, 2018, 02:38:25 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 30, 2018, 12:37:29 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 30, 2018, 12:29:09 PM
If as reported the poor chap was strangled in front of onlookers......what have we turned our young people into?

There was knackers when you were a kid, and also a maniacal Church abusing children and vilifying single mothers to boot. Save us your hand wringing.

Knackers of course, and some villifying, although sticks and stones and all that. But few murders.
The arrogant  insufferable Syferus believes some kind of golden age started around the time he was born.
Instead of being upset or horrified at the Dunleer case he goes off on another rant about priests abusing kids and single mothers.
Syferus doesn't do background.
Galway supporters are lazy because all the data he has goes back only 5 years.
Anything bad now can be compared against something the Church did.
The current Ros management is the greatest ever because past data is irrelevant
He doesn't listen to observations either.

Re "knackers" there was less public violence than there is now. I can remember the shock when Garda Morley was murdered in the early 80s. The idea that a Garda would be killed was so hard for people to get the head around.

..which happened eight years after Bloody fecking Sunday..
In another jurisdiction during a war.

A few hundred kilometres away involving republicans and officers of the law.. the only difference was that the roles were reversed.
You'd want to read up on history bucko. Bloody Sunday wasn't a shootout between "republicans and the officers of the law"
And the disrespect of "Bloody fecking Sunday" . I suppose inconvenient facts like 14 Irish people being murdered in their own City must be a nuisance to you in your Varadkar wonderland.

Your attempts at feigned outrage lost their lustre years ago when it became clear how petty and myopic you are.

NAG1

Lads when are ye going to realise that Syf has taken over from TF on the board.

That old saying about getting into an argument with an eejit is so apt here.

Syferus

Quote from: NAG1 on June 01, 2018, 01:54:55 PM

You literally resurrected an old thread to say this. Do you not realise how triggered you are?

thebuzz

Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2018, 02:15:48 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 01, 2018, 01:54:55 PM

You literally resurrected an old thread to say this. Do you not realise how triggered you are?

Syferus when you look at how many people argue with you and criticise what you say does it not make you think that you maybe are a Connacht version of the boul Tony?

Boycey

Quote from: Boycey on May 25, 2018, 05:19:23 PM
I'd say it's been pretty obvious from day 1 what happened? The other lad will probably face a different charge in time. This will be one of the most shocking crimes of all time in Ireland as it goes on I'd say.

I actually don't remember this post but what I heard and read about this case on the opening day of the trial today is absolutely sickening...

Rossfan

Horrific......... 14 year olds.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rossfan on April 30, 2019, 09:14:31 PM
Horrific......... 14 year olds.....
They were 13 when the allegedly killed her. Absolutely sickening to think kids did this.

ardtole

Quote from: Boycey on April 30, 2019, 08:46:50 PM
Quote from: Boycey on May 25, 2018, 05:19:23 PM
I'd say it's been pretty obvious from day 1 what happened? The other lad will probably face a different charge in time. This will be one of the most shocking crimes of all time in Ireland as it goes on I'd say.

I actually don't remember this post but what I heard and read about this case on the opening day of the trial today is absolutely sickening...
I had to turn the radio off, so disturbing. 

magpie seanie

My reaction is similar. My heart was broken listeningto the radio to be honest.

seafoid

This story is so awful

The incessant bullying . The comments on social media
And then the murder

There will probably be some dreadful revelations.

There was something similar in the courts recently involving a 15 year old . Murderous misogyny

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/boy-15-tried-to-murder-woman-he-met-on-social-media-1.3837876
« A 15-year-old boy tried to murder a woman he met on social media after suggesting they take a selfie at the water's edge in Dún Laoghaire, where he knocked her unconscious and slashed her neck.
Gardaí later found a book of drawings in his bedroom, containing a sketch of someone being cut up with a knife. The words, 'serial killer', had been written on another page.
The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was before the Central Criminal Court on Monday.
He had pleaded guilty to attempting to murder Stephanie Ng on December 23rd 2017 at the seafront, Queen's Road, Dún Laoghaire.
The now 17-year-old was accompanied to court by his parents, who sat beside him in the court.
Detective Garda Daniel Treacy told Paul Burns SC, prosecuting, that the accused had met his victim on the Whisper social media app.
He was 15 at the time, and his victim was 25. However, he told her he was 19. They exchanged ordinary photographs to confirm they were real people.
He asked Ms Ng to participate in a threesome but she declined, and made it clear that she was not interested in any form of a sexual relationship.
He disclosed his name and certain family details and that he was attending psychiatrists for therapy, due to him having depression, suicidal and intrusive thoughts.
He told her that he could not commit to girls.
"It's like being a psychopath. You just don't feel it," he wrote, saying he was 'feeling it for the first time'.

They arranged to meet in Dún Laoghaire on December 23rd, with him saying he would bring her to a secret spot.
She jokingly said it sounded like he was going to murder her. He replied that he did not think he could murder her.
They met at the entrance to Dún Laoghaire Shopping Centre shortly after noon that day and walked to York Road, where the accused asked her to go into a vacant house. She declined.

It was boarded up, so he suggested another abandoned house. She again said no.
They walked to the promenade and he suggested going into the old disused baths. She declined.

At his request, they went down to the water's edge to take a selfie," Det Garda Treacy told the court.
"She was facing out to sea when he grabbed her from behind in a neck lock. He then moved in front of her and started choking her with his right hand while brandishing a knife in his left hand."
She raised her hand to defend herself and suffered significant lacerations as a result. He told her to stop screaming in a calm and controlled voice.
She passed out due to the stranglehold. When she came around, she was lying on the ground near the water's edge, her hand was bleeding and there was blood around her head. Her clothes had been cut.
She managed to get to her feet and take a few steps but collapsed. Walkers noticed her and came to her assistance.
Ms Ng was taken to to St Vincent's Hospital, where she was found to have a 10cm-deep midline neck laceration, which penetrated her trachea.
She tried to walk towards the road, only to collapse again after a few steps. It was enough to make her visible to a male passer-by. By this stage she had lost four litres of blood; the man would later tell gardaí he was sure she was going to die.
She tried to tell her rescuer what happened but could not get the words out. She put her hand to her throat and realised it had been cut from one side to the other. »

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

easytiger95

I live very close to where Anna was discovered. I think when people think of Lucan, they think of Adamstown and miles upon miles of boxy estates. Where she died is on the Clonee Road between Lucan and Westmanstown - there is St. Catherine's Park and loads of farmland - very isolated at night.

On the road where I live, there would be herds of kids and toddlers, always out playing. The day after she disappeared every child was accompanied by a parent. The search was ongoing but even at that early stage, most agreed that she had been abducted, and most thought she was already dead - perhaps another JoJo Dollard, Fiona Pender or Deirdre Jacob, just vanishing away up a motorway or from an estate. Terrible to say, but that is an easier thing to compute than to face what actually happened when she was found, literally just yards from where we all stood.

We all know that there are wolves in the wood, that you hurry after dark, that there are creatures found on the roads and byways that are best not met. But what happens when the beast comes home, takes off his mask and is revealed as a 13 year old child, doing his homework, playing X Box, falling asleep under Man U or Liverpool posters?

This trial will be absolutely horrific not just because of the nature of the crimes, but of the banality of the killers. They will look and behave in almost every way as our own sons, yet they ended up in dark farmhouse in a pool of a young girl's blood.

Almost as horrific will the revelations of just how cruelly this girl was treated in general. I don't like setting up straw men - I've seen too many moral panics revealed over the years to be nothing, but I don't think it can denied that social media has changed how we communicate with each other. Whilst bullying has always existed, the ease of access to victims and the (perceived) anonymity of the bully has surely changed and amplified how this abuse is felt.

My little fella is 7. He is asking me for a phone already. He can continue asking for as long as he likes.

magpie seanie

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 01, 2019, 10:55:23 AM
I live very close to where Anna was discovered. I think when people think of Lucan, they think of Adamstown and miles upon miles of boxy estates. Where she died is on the Clonee Road between Lucan and Westmanstown - there is St. Catherine's Park and loads of farmland - very isolated at night.

On the road where I live, there would be herds of kids and toddlers, always out playing. The day after she disappeared every child was accompanied by a parent. The search was ongoing but even at that early stage, most agreed that she had been abducted, and most thought she was already dead - perhaps another JoJo Dollard, Fiona Pender or Deirdre Jacob, just vanishing away up a motorway or from an estate. Terrible to say, but that is an easier thing to compute than to face what actually happened when she was found, literally just yards from where we all stood.

We all know that there are wolves in the wood, that you hurry after dark, that there are creatures found on the roads and byways that are best not met. But what happens when the beast comes home, takes off his mask and is revealed as a 13 year old child, doing his homework, playing X Box, falling asleep under Man U or Liverpool posters?

This trial will be absolutely horrific not just because of the nature of the crimes, but of the banality of the killers. They will look and behave in almost every way as our own sons, yet they ended up in dark farmhouse in a pool of a young girl's blood.

Almost as horrific will the revelations of just how cruelly this girl was treated in general. I don't like setting up straw men - I've seen too many moral panics revealed over the years to be nothing, but I don't think it can denied that social media has changed how we communicate with each other. Whilst bullying has always existed, the ease of access to victims and the (perceived) anonymity of the bully has surely changed and amplified how this abuse is felt.

My little fella is 7. He is asking me for a phone already. He can continue asking for as long as he likes.

+1, well put Easytiger.

brokencrossbar1

Cases like this are so difficult to deal with.  This is our Jamie Bulger moment in many ways.  I have sat with killers of different ilks, 1 punch people who were 'unlucky', people who did it for a 'cause', people who did it in a drink/drugs fueled frenzy, people who didn't have the capacity to know what really was going on(and trust me there are plenty of them out there), others were just cold, heartless bastards.  I have a 12 year old son,  the thought that he or his peers could do something like this is very, very scary.  He wouldn't but could someone he is in school with do it?  I know I regularly get into rows with people over this type of stuff but the reality is that the society that people are brought up in,  the background and family circumstances,  form the people that commit the crimes.  This is going to be a heart wrenching case and no one will walk away from it feeling that they have achieved a 'victory' no matter what the result.

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 01, 2019, 10:55:23 AM

Great post Easytiger

Roger McNamee used to work for Zuckerberg
He was recently quoted in the FT . « The problem with hate speech is that it is fundamental to the business model of Google and Facebook »

Guillaume Chaslot

@gchaslot
·
Sep 2

The YouTube algorithm I worked on heavily promoted Brexit, because divisiveness is efficient for watch time, and watch time leads to ads.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 01, 2019, 12:14:07 PM
Cases like this are so difficult to deal with.  This is our Jamie Bulger moment in many ways.  I have sat with killers of different ilks, 1 punch people who were 'unlucky', people who did it for a 'cause', people who did it in a drink/drugs fueled frenzy, people who didn't have the capacity to know what really was going on(and trust me there are plenty of them out there), others were just cold, heartless b**tards.  I have a 12 year old son,  the thought that he or his peers could do something like this is very, very scary.  He wouldn't but could someone he is in school with do it?  I know I regularly get into rows with people over this type of stuff but the reality is that the society that people are brought up in,  the background and family circumstances,  form the people that commit the crimes.  This is going to be a heart wrenching case and no one will walk away from it feeling that they have achieved a 'victory' no matter what the result.

Circumstances can create a situation where you are 'unlucky', the structure of society can create a 'cause', but sadly some people are indeed just cold, heartless b**tards and it is not the fault of their circumstances.

The social media is a separate issue, and a hard one to deal with, but one that must be addressed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B