Solar Panels, Yay or Nay?

Started by general, March 18, 2016, 11:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general

Just wanting to know thoughts on Solar Panels;

Bought a house in a new development which is nearing completion. Solar Panels for heating water has been stated in the spec, although the builder has since contacted me to see if i want them or not, with an offer of another £1k for PC Sums.

I'm wondering what effect the solar panels actually have and do they give the hot water 24/7 as has been stated.

stew

A simple google search will tell you if you get enough sunlight to justify the extra outlay, if you do and plan on living there long term then go for it, it will pay for itself in less than a decade usually.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

theskull1

A prof from the electrical engineering dept in Queens mentioned to me it would be closer to 17 years payback  :'(
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Maguire01

But would you not usually pay more than £1k for them? That would obviously have a big impact on the payback period. Would the PC sum alternative be a better deal for you or the developer?

stew

Quote from: theskull1 on March 19, 2016, 08:48:08 AM
A prof from the electrical engineering dept in Queens mentioned to me it would be closer to 17 years payback  :'(

Aye right enough, I was thinking of the states with that estimation, too long gone I suppose.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Subbie

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 19, 2016, 08:52:54 AM
But would you not usually pay more than £1k for them? That would obviously have a big impact on the payback period. Would the PC sum alternative be a better deal for you or the developer?

My brother installs solar panels and from talking to him about it recently £1k wouldn't go near covering all the cost to supply and install.
Can't really comment on the long term economic advantage of solar v trad but my parents have them in and are well happy with them.

Tubberman

Have 3 in my house (part of the build, not installed after).
By and large provide all the hot water we needed (only two of us up to now) from around April to September
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

The Subbie

Quote from: Tubberman on March 19, 2016, 10:39:54 PM
By and large provide all the hot water we needed (only two of us up to now) from around April to September

Don't know how many the parents have at home on the roof but there is only the two of them left at home now and they get hot water and a few rads heated with solar all year round.

Is there a difference in solar panels??

Tubberman

Quote from: The Subbie on March 20, 2016, 06:56:05 AM

Don't know how many the parents have at home on the roof but there is only the two of them left at home now and they get hot water and a few rads heated with solar all year round.

I don't know anything about them really, but with our ones there's not enough hours of light in winter to heat the water.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Nailer

You should check the number of panels / output of them that are included in the specification and the name of the company doing the install, then contact another company for a rough quote on what they would charge for an install on a new house which would already have scaffolding erected etc so they wouldn't be building this in to the quote. Ask them what the pay back is on the cost, how much hot water you would typically get from them etc, don,t include vat in the cost as new housing is zero vat and the builder wouldn't,t have to pay it either. You could then make a decision to get the panels (which I suspect is the better option) or alternatively go back to the builder and try and getter an increased allowance towards the PC allowances as the 1k offer seems very low.

rrhf

Quote from: The Subbie on March 20, 2016, 06:56:05 AM

Yes if you want 24 hour hot water you need some Lunar panels in.

aontroim abu

Quote from: general on March 18, 2016, 11:18:01 AM
Just wanting to know thoughts on Solar Panels;

Bought a house in a new development which is nearing completion. Solar Panels for heating water has been stated in the spec, although the builder has since contacted me to see if i want them or not, with an offer of another £1k for PC Sums.

I'm wondering what effect the solar panels actually have and do they give the hot water 24/7 as has been stated.

Go to the developer and ask him to provide the details and spec of the solar panels you can get for £1k. Its a huge mistake buyers fall for...the principle of a PC sum is that you should be able to buy that item for the sum mentioned, in this case the SP should be available for £1k. Likewise kitchens for £1k  (or less), go and ask for a sample of what he's providing, if he cant then get on to your solicitor

highorlow

If you can get them for £1k then worth it but bear in mind what aontroim abu says. A PC Sum is only an "allowance" and not the actual cost. Be careful that the HW cylinder your installing is suitable.

The payback is probably correct at 17 years based on a retrofit installation which costs about €5k.

Retrofitting is only worthwhile if you have about 20 kids to bath during the summer.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on March 19, 2016, 08:48:08 AM

did he not mention the environmental aspect of them?

I'm a big fan of them, but the rule of thumb I was told is 1sq metre per person in the house, 4 people, the solar panels should be 4 square metres!

leaveherinsir

Afaik there is no ROC payment on the panels which only heat your water.
I installed 16 of the PV solar panels in Aug 2015 before the ROC payment was to be reduced.
You have a guaranteed payment every year, a reduced electric bill and also hot water as our system will send any unused to heat the water before it goes back to the grid. Expensive system to install but payback will between 7-10 years i reckon.
From the different companies i spoke with when researching the panels which only heat the water arent that efficient in our climate.