Food Allergy/Intolerance Test

Started by giveherlong, May 04, 2016, 11:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

Anybody had one of these done before? Can you get via your GP?
Any recommendations for clinics doing them in the North/Belfast?

No wides

There is a place in Newry does it, ill have to google the name.

lenny

Quote from: giveherlong on May 04, 2016, 11:44:35 AM

I think they're very unreliable. Turn up one day and it'll say you're allergic to dairy and if you go the next day it could say you're allergic to wheat or gluten. Do some research on it before forking out money.

Tony Baloney

Synergy on the Cregagh Road in Belfast would do this type of stuff. Jan DeVries used to do it on Lisburn Road - not sure if it is still there or not.

outinfront

You can get coeliac test done at the GPs I know that.

johnneycool

I got referred by my GP, some waiting list, I think it was over 2 years of a wait.

muppet

Quote from: johnneycool on May 04, 2016, 02:18:00 PM

I got referred by my GP, some waiting list, I think it was over 2 years of a wait.

I discovered I am allergic to waiting 2 years for anything.
MWWSI 2017

No wides

Why not go private, it's not that expensive better than waiting 2 years and suffering from eating food you have allergies to.

BennyCake

That reminds me... Is there an allergy test available for pollen/dust/pet allergies

giveherlong

Don't seem overly expensive £30-£50
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations

Puckoon

Quote from: BennyCake on May 04, 2016, 04:22:46 PM
That reminds me... Is there an allergy test available for pollen/dust/pet allergies

Should be available in Ireland. Pretty standard test here in the US. They mark a grid on your back, apply a small amount of oil infused with whatever the allergen for that spot on the grid is and scratch your skin a little to get the stuff in there. They usually leave it ~30 minutes and then apply a larger dose unless you light up like a Christmas Tree a few minutes into the first application.

Tony Baloney

Surely adults would know if they are intolerant or allergic to this stuff without needing a test.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: No wides on May 04, 2016, 03:22:00 PM

Why not go private, it's not that expensive better than waiting 2 years and suffering from eating food you have allergies to.
He's a miserable hoor!

You could just stop eating food you are allergic to!

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 04, 2016, 07:20:54 PM
Quote from: No wides on May 04, 2016, 03:22:00 PM

He's a miserable hoor!

You could just stop eating food you are allergic to!

It wasn't food I was allergic to, I'd had loads of bother with sore throats which escalate into chest infections when you're an asthmatic. Certain types of tree pollens at the start of the summer and grass pollens at the end of summer were the culprits.

Prescribed an antihistamine and haven't looked back

omaghjoe

Puck, slightly off topic but I keep up at a pop level on foods and diets digestion etc.

Anyway to me there seems to be a shift in thinking that allergies aren't even a proper illness at all as such, rather they are just our bodies missing the required microbes/antioxidants/enzymes to deal with certain foods or whatever else we may be allergic too? And that it is something that we dont know enough about to even treat effectively using current science. Also the sterile lives and diets we have being a huge part of the problem. What's your opinion on that?