M2 Motorway Belfast

Started by giveherlong, November 27, 2014, 09:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

Any other posters notice it has become really congested over the past few weeks? Even at Toome towards Moneynick.  Serious tailbacks again this morning

Mario

I think traffic all over Belfast has been worse than ever since the schools went back this year, compared to last year or the year before any journey takes a lot longer at rush hour, and if it rains it's an absolute disaster.

Walter Cronc

We have probably the worst infrastructure in Western Europe! Hold on we don't actually have any infrastructure!!

imtommygunn

I think bus lanes congest belfast more and then everything backs up after a certain time.

Nightmare these days for traffic. Journey time to work has doubled and then some since september.

outinfront

blewuporstuffed

The traffic on the M1 is a complete nightmare at the min too.
The bus lanes doent seem to help at all.

What i dont understand is, if they were going to put in  bus lane, why does it not run the whole way from the Sprucefeild park and ride?
it seems to be of limited use to the buses as well, by the time it starts, the traffic has cleared a bit anyway  :-\
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hoof Hearted

I head the other way and at 7.00am its bumper to bumper from the bridge at Toome to Castledawson R'about - and probably further only I don't head on the Glenshane Road. Same on way home at 5.00pm.
I couldnt stick that one day never mind 5 !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Walter Cronc

This just sums up the clowns we have working in this part of the world!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30164259

Chronic traffic problems and a severe lack of public transport. I know what we'll do. Encourage more cars on our roads!!

DennistheMenace

Traffic much worse than it used to be, both M1 and M2. As someone said, a bit of rain and it could nearly double journey time.

imtommygunn

Instead of improving the public transport system they've tried to force people onto the bus by putting bus lanes all through the city centre to block traffic up.

One of their barometers recently was a measurement of how many cars passed through a particular street, can't mind which one, between something like 4 and 5 o'clock. The count was significantly down therefore they deemed bus lanes successful. Did they not consider that in fact the traffic wasn't moving in that street??

Getting worse and will get no better. Those new bus lanes need ripped out.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 27, 2014, 10:34:44 AM
Instead of improving the public transport system they've tried to force people onto the bus by putting bus lanes all through the city centre to block traffic up.

One of their barometers recently was a measurement of how many cars passed through a particular street, can't mind which one, between something like 4 and 5 o'clock. The count was significantly down therefore they deemed bus lanes successful. Did they not consider that in fact the traffic wasn't moving in that street??

Getting worse and will get no better. Those new bus lanes need ripped out.

I haev no issue with the bus lanes really,a s long as the public transport system is being improved along side them, which it isnt.

Like i say the sprucefeild park & ride is ridiculous.
Park your car at sprucefeild, then pay for a bus to sit in the worst of the morning traffic for a few miles before it begins to ease up and the bus lanes then kick in.
Pointless.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

DennistheMenace

The bus lanes are a joke, traffic queued for miles yet the bus lane is sitting idle for 90% of the time.

Bingo

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 27, 2014, 09:44:20 AM
We have probably the worst infrastructure in Western Europe! Hold on we don't actually have any infrastructure!!

Was talking to a woman from the North the other day and she was laughing saying how glad she does be cross the border when going south as the road network is so much better nowadays. How things have changed.

FermGael

Been travelling it for the past 5 years.
Back rounds around Toome are the only way to avoid the queue there.

As for the M2, avoid the car park that it is in the morning by heading For Antrim and then over the Mountain into Belfast.  Saves me easily 45 minutes every day.

The M2 problem is easily solved.
1.  Remove the traffic lights at the start/end of the M2 in Belfast that link to the West Link.
Then the traffic should flow a lot better.
2.  Make a Motorway that links the M2 the whole way to Derry.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Mario

Quote from: FermGael on November 27, 2014, 12:05:16 PM
Been travelling it for the past 5 years.
Back rounds around Toome are the only way to avoid the queue there.

As for the M2, avoid the car park that it is in the morning by heading For Antrim and then over the Mountain into Belfast.  Saves me easily 45 minutes every day.

The M2 problem is easily solved.
1.  Remove the traffic lights at the start/end of the M2 in Belfast that link to the West Link.
Then the traffic should flow a lot better.
2.  Make a Motorway that links the M2 the whole way to Derry.
Extending a motorway for another 50 miles is not an easy solution. They badly need to change the road from toome bypass to the motorway, need to bypass Dungiven and after those two things are done they can change the road from the castledawson roundabout to Dungiven to a dual carriageway