The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Good chance of a gold medal too. Ireland have had one gold this millennium, Katie in 2012

johnnycool

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 15, 2019, 01:31:29 PM
Good chance of a gold medal too. Ireland have had one gold this millennium, Katie in 2012

Them Cork lads in the boat not win a few?

Gabriel_Hurl

Orior

QuoteFARMINGDALE, N.Y. – After opting out of golf's return to the Olympics three years ago in Brazil, Rory McIlroy said he "more likely than not" will be among the 60-man Olympic field next summer in Tokyo.

And if he plays, it'll be for Ireland.

McIlroy fielded a series of Olympic-related questions ahead of the PGA Championship, as he looks to add a fifth major title at the event he won in both 2012 and 2014. The Ulsterman garnered headlines in the lead-up to the 2016 Games, first announcing his intentions to represent Ireland and then withdrawing over concerns surrounding the Zika virus and the notion that he didn't play professionally to "grow the game." But on Tuesday, the 30-year-old shared his excitement at the prospect of once again playing for country.

"I think it would be a great experience," McIlroy said. "Right now, in my mind, I'll most likely play."

The issue gets complicated for McIlroy when it comes to which country he would represent in Tokyo. Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain, meaning he could play under the Union Jack as England's Justin Rose did en route to a gold medal three years ago. But McIlroy represented Ireland in amateur competitions and would have the option to do so again in the Olympics.

It's a complicated decision given the divide between Ireland and Northern Ireland, and one that McIlroy said in 2017 led him to "resent the Olympic Games" for putting him in the position to make a difficult choice. But it's one he now appears ready to make, reiterating that he's "excited to play for Ireland" next summer.

"You really have to start thinking, 'OK, well, what are your beliefs and your values?' It makes you sort of have to delve a little bit deeper. It's not just a superficial decision," McIlroy said. "I had an unbelievable amateur career, and I don't mean that in terms of results, but I mean that in the experiences I had and the trips that I had and the friendships that I made and that I still have to this day. That was all because of playing for Ireland and getting close to some of those guys."

Qualification for the 2020 Olympics will conclude with The Open next summer at Royal St. George's, after which the field of 60 men will be finalized. Each participating country can send up to two players, although that maximum can be raised to four players per country if all are ranked inside the top 15 in the world.

McIlroy is currently ranked fourth in the world, with Shane Lowry (No. 45) the only other player from Ireland or Northern Ireland inside the top 100. Padraig Harrington and Seamus Power represented the island nation at the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

Once he moved away from the occupied statelet, he like most others, realised that he used to live in Ireland, not the UK.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Keyser soze

Quote from: OgraAnDun on May 15, 2019, 12:31:57 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 15, 2019, 12:09:22 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 15, 2019, 11:19:33 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 15, 2019, 09:29:40 AM
That lad opens his mouth and I swear even he doesn't know what is going to come out of it.

He was asked the question in a press conference. Is he supposed to say nothing?

What he should do is refuse to do any press at all. Then watch people complain about him. He's arguably one of the greatest sporting people this Island has ever produced yet all some people want to do is knock him. Begrudgers the lot of them.

+1

How does saying some lad talks shite make me a begrudger???  AFAIR I have never commented on him before.

And he does talk a load of complete bollocks at times which I find  amusing and pitiful in equal measure.

You probably empathise with him more given the amount of horse manure you spout on here though  ;)

lurganblue

Fair play to McIlroy.  Get it put to bed early this time around.

heganboy

Quote from: thewobbler on April 20, 2019, 04:39:25 PM
Quote from: Rois on April 20, 2019, 03:14:31 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 20, 2019, 02:43:34 PM
What age did all you gaaboard golfers start out at?
Getting my first handicap this year - prefer to keep age to myself (over 30, under 40  ;D )

Playing at Ardglass this evening - my first links experience.

Ardglass is fantastic. But it's not a links. It's a seaside parkland.

I think its fantastic too, there's a couple of links style holes there, it is one of my favorite courses to play of all time. It can be about 10 different looks based on the weather. If you look at the hole as being at 12 o clock, I have hit a tee shot anywhere from 10.15 to 1.30, driver to 7 iron. And missed the massive fairway with the vast majority of those crappy efforts. 1, 7, 12 and 13 are all brilliant. and playing 18 down into the castle with the cannons and the flags is pretty nice too.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Wildweasel74

Didn't want play last time round, i wouldn't give him the option this time round.

ardtole

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 16, 2019, 11:18:24 PM
Didn't want play last time round, i wouldn't give him the option this time round.

I presume you wouldn't want Shane Lowry playing either.

lurganblue

Golf is sooooo frustrating.  Played Down Royal yesterday and had a shocker (again).  I can drive a ball rightly and do regularly enough find a decent position off the tee.  Irons continue to be a complete disaster. If I'm not hitting a mile behind the ball then I'm topping it. Just cant get it nailed down. Might have to invest in a few lessons.

screenexile

Quote from: ardtole on May 17, 2019, 06:19:36 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 16, 2019, 11:18:24 PM

I presume you wouldn't want Shane Lowry playing either.

leaveherinsir

Anyone looking for reasonable priced house in Portrush for the week of The Open drop me a private message. 3 bed house within 5 mins walk of the course. Basic accomodation but location is 1st class.

gawa316

A friend of a friend is heading to Limerick and is looking to play some golf. Any recommendations of courses he could play?

Edit: He's around a 15 handicapper

Boycey

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"