Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outsideoftheboot

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on May 09, 2018, 12:27:09 PM
Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on May 09, 2018, 12:24:17 PM
Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on May 09, 2018, 11:55:00 AM
Quote from: redzone on May 09, 2018, 11:41:34 AM
Interesting that ronan mcnabb playing fullback for dromore this year. Could he be a late contender for the 3 jersey.

Is he full back because Dromore have not options here?
Cathal McCarron away and Tomas McCarron is out with a crucicate.
Only other man I can think of who could play here is Red Sean
They do have Peter Teague who was full back for Tyrone U21s.

Oh yes, Captained the U20's to recent success!!
Where is Teague playing for Dromore then?

I believe he is playing full back with ronan mcnabb playing 6.

W.A.G. Lover

Did anyone hear Garvaghy was on lockdown last night? No-one allowed in but the Senior Team.
I know an Underage Goalkeeping Coaching Camp was cancelled. All because Mickey wanted no-one there whilst training was ongoing. Worse than Donegal if this is true.
Did anyone hear about it?

southtyronegael

Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on May 10, 2018, 08:49:15 AM
Did anyone hear Garvaghy was on lockdown last night? No-one allowed in but the Senior Team.
I know an Underage Goalkeeping Coaching Camp was cancelled. All because Mickey wanted no-one there whilst training was ongoing. Worse than Donegal if this is true.
its certainly not the first time it happened.

HalfBack7

Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on May 10, 2018, 08:49:15 AM

That has been happening for years. Underage teams, hurling teams, ladies teams regularly get locked out of Garvaghy in the lead up to big games and told to find elsewhere to train.

Redhand Santa

I don't bother with this thread anymore but it looked a page or two ago that a bit of football talk was going to break out but the usual suspects aren't having that. Colm Cavanagh no good, garvaghy talk etc. There is no reason why ladies football hurling etc can't be talked about on here but the only time it's mentioned is something to do with training in garvaghy.

Getting back to football. The team I'd like to see out next week if everyone is fit is as follows:

Morgan
McCarron
Hampsey
HP McGeary
McCann
Burns
Meyler
Cavanagh
McNamee
Harte
Sludden
Donnelly
Brennan
McShane
McAliskey

Hugh Pat has to prove he's up to the corner back position at championship pace but he deserves a go after decent showings in the league. McNamee seems to be going well in club football and none of the other midfield options have done enough to warrant a place. So I'd happily take a chance on him there. McAliskey would be lucky to start but if left close to goal can get scores. He can also be used for the right footed frees. McShane would come out around the middle to help out.

If Cavanagh ruled out then I'd bring Mattie into midfield and throw on Kieran McGeary to half forward. I'm happy enough with our first 15 but worry the panel isn't as strong as some years.

It would be great if the county page could be used to discuss football over the next few months. Mickey Harte is the manager for the rest of the year so there is no point discussing that until the championship is over. There is a separate page for Garvaghy etc where it can be discussed.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 10, 2018, 01:58:14 PM
I don't bother with this thread anymore but it looked a page or two ago that a bit of football talk was going to break out but the usual suspects aren't having that. Colm Cavanagh no good, garvaghy talk etc. There is no reason why ladies football hurling etc can't be talked about on here but the only time it's mentioned is something to do with training in garvaghy.

Getting back to football. The team I'd like to see out next week if everyone is fit is as follows:

Morgan
McCarron
Hampsey
HP McGeary
McCann
Burns
Meyler
Cavanagh
McNamee
Harte
Sludden
Donnelly
Brennan
McShane
McAliskey

Hugh Pat has to prove he's up to the corner back position at championship pace but he deserves a go after decent showings in the league. McNamee seems to be going well in club football and none of the other midfield options have done enough to warrant a place. So I'd happily take a chance on him there. McAliskey would be lucky to start but if left close to goal can get scores. He can also be used for the right footed frees. McShane would come out around the middle to help out.

If Cavanagh ruled out then I'd bring Mattie into midfield and throw on Kieran McGeary to half forward. I'm happy enough with our first 15 but worry the panel isn't as strong as some years.

It would be great if the county page could be used to discuss football over the next few months. Mickey Harte is the manager for the rest of the year so there is no point discussing that until the championship is over. There is a separate page for Garvaghy etc where it can be discussed.

Well said Santa.

I'm happy with the dept of our panel, if we went with your team then in each line of the pitch we still have  players of similar quality who are able to come from the bench.

Full back line: McKernan, McRory (not a fan personally but he has plenty of intercounty experience)
Half Back: Rory Brennan, Kieran McGeary, Ronan McNabb
Midfield: McClure and McNulty
Half Forward: Mulgrew, Richy Donnelly, Kieran McGeary again, Conall McCann
Full Forward: Bradley, O'Neill

Fuzzman

I think our squad is actually stronger this year than other years
With the exception of having maybe a match winning forward to spring from the bench we have great cover all over the field.

We've a good 2nd keeper, better man markers I feel in the full back line. So much so that McNamee and McCrory are likely not to start in defence.

If its true Mulgrew got a shoulder operation then he will be a big loss to spring from the bench.
He looks a class forward I thought last year and is well built

Can you believe how we aren't even talking about Mark Bradley whereas last few years he was our main exciting forward?

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 10, 2018, 02:34:03 PM
I think our squad is actually stronger this year than other years
With the exception of having maybe a match winning forward to spring from the bench we have great cover all over the field.

We've a good 2nd keeper, better man markers I feel in the full back line. So much so that McNamee and McCrory are likely not to start in defence.

If its true Mulgrew got a shoulder operation then he will be a big loss to spring from the bench.
He looks a class forward I thought last year and is well built

Can you believe how we aren't even talking about Mark Bradley whereas last few years he was our main exciting forward?

Mulgrew has been playing for Ardboe so should be available for selection v Monaghan. I still think Bradley is potentially our best inside forward, he was great for us last year bar the Dublin game where he didn't stand a chance really. Whereas Brennan is unproven at championship level but deserves his chance this year. The unfortunate thing about giving Brennan his chance is that it could be tough to start two small nippy left footed corner forwards at the same time. Personally though I would start both and play them close to goal alongside Skeet.

toby47

John McEntee's comment about Lee Brennan were a bit rash in his article in todays Irish News. Very quick to write a young player off who had a very good league campaign and has been shooting the lights out in club & underage county football this past few years.

Take Tyrone, for example. Trillick's high-scoring forward Lee Brennan has big shoes to fill if he is to take the place of Stephen O'Neill as the Red Hands' go-to man.

This is Lee's first year as a regular starter. To be the primary scorer and to thrive in the white heat of Championship football would seem to be a tough ask for one so young.

I've played alongside very fine footballers who could kick points for fun in club games and in training matches, but to perform on Championship Sunday takes a special kind of guy, someone with a self-confidence forged from many years of having the answers to the questions others pose.

If Tyrone are to win, Brennan (if fit) must be the guy who provides the icing on the cake rather than the guy who bakes the cake. He is not yet ready to carry that responsibility.

longballin

Quote from: toby47 on May 10, 2018, 03:04:28 PM
John McEntee's comment about Lee Brennan were a bit rash in his article in todays Irish News. Very quick to write a young player off who had a very good league campaign and has been shooting the lights out in club & underage county football this past few years.

Take Tyrone, for example. Trillick's high-scoring forward Lee Brennan has big shoes to fill if he is to take the place of Stephen O'Neill as the Red Hands' go-to man.

This is Lee's first year as a regular starter. To be the primary scorer and to thrive in the white heat of Championship football would seem to be a tough ask for one so young.

I've played alongside very fine footballers who could kick points for fun in club games and in training matches, but to perform on Championship Sunday takes a special kind of guy, someone with a self-confidence forged from many years of having the answers to the questions others pose.

If Tyrone are to win, Brennan (if fit) must be the guy who provides the icing on the cake rather than the guy who bakes the cake. He is not yet ready to carry that responsibility.

That comment doesn't come across as writing him off. Is suggesting he is NOT YET ready... in other words a bit early to cast him as the main man. I think that's fair enough

toby47

Quote from: longballin on May 10, 2018, 03:50:03 PM

That comment doesn't come across as writing him off. Is suggesting he is NOT YET ready... in other words a bit early to cast him as the main man. I think that's fair enough

In an article about the ulster championship as a whole (and Lee Brennan is the only current player named in the whole article) I thought it was negative enough to concentrate in on one player and liken him to a man who can kick points in club and training but not in a championship game.

Fuzzman

Maybe its small man syndrome but I could never get that argument about starting two small men at the same time.
If they're good enough then they're big enough in my eyes.
In my eyes Lee Brennan is the first forward we've had since Mugsy who has an eye for goal. He can sniff a chance out of nothing and can take it. You can see in his movement he's got that natural attacking instinct and flair but of course if he's double marked like many's a good player he wont do much unless he comes out the field.

I think Bradley will flourish more now that Lee is there with him and they know what sort of ball they need into them and not big long high hoofs. I am really looking forward to this game and think we will continue where we left off last summer before the Dublin disaster.

Remember we were putting up some huge scores last year without Lee and Skeet. Not bad for a team labelled as so negative and defensive.

Derry   0-11   
Tyrone   0-22

Tyrone   1-21
Donegal    1-12

Tyrone   2-17
Down    0.15

Tyrone   3-17
Armagh   0.08

Derry   0-11   
Tyrone   0-22

Tyrone   1-21
Donegal    1-12

Tyrone   2-17
Down    0.15

Tyrone   0.11
Dublin   2.17

re Lee yeah I think its a bit of Armagh jealousy and maybe saying he's only a young lad who has done nothing yet. It could help motivate him tbh.

longballin

Quote from: toby47 on May 10, 2018, 03:53:49 PM
Quote from: longballin on May 10, 2018, 03:50:03 PM

In an article about the ulster championship as a whole (and Lee Brennan is the only current player named in the whole article) I thought it was negative enough to concentrate in on one player and liken him to a man who can kick points in club and training but not in a championship game.

Ok I need to read it all.... was just going by sentence you put up.

BennyHarp

I think it's fairly lazy of McEntee to be comparing Lee Brennan to Steven O'Neill or suggesting he is taking on that role, he's clearly not in that category at the minute (it doesn't take a football genius to point that out) but he's the best finisher we have got. It's an easy throw away line as a journalist to give a back handed criticism to say a player isn't as good as Steven O'Neill or another great player from their county. There aren't many forwards in the whole of Ireland as good as Stevie, is he going to go through every team in Ulster and say their best forward isn't as good as Steven O'Neill? If Lee kicks 1-5 or 0-6 or 0-8 in games be that from play or frees and doesn't do another thing then as far as I'm concerned it's his job done. I wouldn't be heaping pressure on him to be the next O'Neill but if he does turn into that type of player, what a bonus that would be.
That was never a square ball!!

square_ball

You are all very sensitive. Thought it was a fair enough analysis. He's been the saviour according to this very forum for the past few years. If anything it took the pressure completely off Brennan. You only have to look at Monaghan and Jack McCarron he had a great league campaign last year and a terrible championship.