Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

longballin

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 14, 2018, 11:16:54 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 14, 2018, 11:12:09 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 14, 2018, 10:56:56 PM
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but as a certain bookmaker has offered odds of 5/4 on Dublin winning the next 10 Leinsters and that looks a generous price this subject is likely to stay bubbling under the surface. However splitting Dublin 2 won't work as it will simply be Dublin North and South dominating instead.
My solution is to split it in 4 along the local councils route, Fingal, Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, South Dublin and the City. I would then set Dublin up as a separate province and revive the Railway cup so the Dublin brand would continue.
There would now be 5 provincial championships which should be run on models similar to the Hurling round robins. There would still be a good chance one of the 4 Dublin teams would win the AI most years but it would at least give the rest of the country some hope.

Is this for real?  :D :D :D :D :D

In time yes, let the current group beat all the records first which they will and then hope like hell that GAA can recover in the rest of the wasteland when the new structures are put in place.

So why was Kilkenny not split for hurling in the last decade or Kerry football from the mid 70s to 1986? Dubs a bit to go to surpass those teams.

Syferus

Quote from: longballin on June 14, 2018, 11:26:37 PM
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but as a certain bookmaker has offered odds of 5/4 on Dublin winning the next 10 Leinsters and that looks a generous price this subject is likely to stay bubbling under the surface. However splitting Dublin 2 won't work as it will simply be Dublin North and South dominating instead.
My solution is to split it in 4 along the local councils route, Fingal, Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, South Dublin and the City. I would then set Dublin up as a separate province and revive the Railway cup so the Dublin brand would continue.
There would now be 5 provincial championships which should be run on models similar to the Hurling round robins. There would still be a good chance one of the 4 Dublin teams would win the AI most years but it would at least give the rest of the country some hope.

In time yes, let the current group beat all the records first which they will and then hope like hell that GAA can recover in the rest of the wasteland when the new structures are put in place.

So why was Kilkenny not split for hurling in the last decade or Kerry football from the mid 70s to 1986? Dubs a bit to go to surpass those teams.

Follow the population and money before trying to trot out this old distraction of an argument.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 14, 2018, 11:24:33 PM

I assume when these teams are knocked out they have the same right as any to go through the qualifiers? Sure then we just end up with four dub teams in ai semi finals

Maybe under the new system the qualifiers will be abandoned and an all Ireland series for the top teams after the provincial round robin. There would be a maximimum of 2 Dublin teams progressing to this with the team who finished second in the Dublin RR having to play an extra round against maybe the 3rd ranked Connacht/Munster team.
Maybe have a 2nd tier competition for the teams who don't make it but it probably wouldn't be necessary as there would be enough competitive championship games played at that stage.

longballin

Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2018, 11:32:20 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 14, 2018, 11:26:37 PM

Follow the population and money before trying to trot out this old distraction of an argument.

Is sheer begrudgery. Like the great Kerry and Kilkenny teams this era for the Dubs will pass as well. Sup it up...

Rossfan

Not when they have the pick of 25% of the population of Ireland (excluding the non GAA minded in the 6 Cos)
They might only win 8 out of 10 Leinster's,  8:out of 1px NFL ST and maybe only 7 out of 10 AIs as they wait for the next magical bunch to arrive.
Kilkenny has about.1.5% of that population and Kerry about 3%.
Anyway weren't some elements in Dublin GAA asking for Provincial Council status a few years ago.
Give it to them and their 4 Co Boards ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

longballin

Quote from: Rossfan on June 14, 2018, 11:54:47 PM
Not when they have the pick of 25% of the population of Ireland (excluding the non GAA minded in the 6 Cos)
They might only win 8 out of 10 Leinster's,  8:out of 1px NFL ST and maybe only 7 out of 10 AIs as they wait for the next magical bunch to arrive.
Kilkenny has about.1.5% of that population and Kerry about 3%.
Anyway weren't some elements in Dublin GAA asking for Provincial Council status a few years ago.
Give it to them and their 4 Co Boards ;D

Dublin always had a population way more than other counties doesn't equate to success. 15 go out on the field.

Hound

It's a good job it's Kerry and not Dublin that have won all those minor titles in a row!

I really can't understand how all the money we give to those young lads doesn't guarantee success??

In seriousness, it is interesting how the Dubs are usually in the top 3 or 4 at U21 level most years, but are very much in the pack at minor level (but contend occasionally of course).

It's nothing to do with the "system". While it happens, it's pretty rare that someone plays 3 years at U21 (or now U20), a few will play 2 years, but there's still almost always big correlation between the minor team of 3 years ago and the current year U21 team.

I think the highly competitive Dublin club scene plays a huge part in the development of these lads, as apart from the very odd lad who gets into the senior squad at 19, the players are all back to the clubs and play almost all club games. Also the big advantage that almost everyone goes to college in Dublin, so it's easier to stick at the football so they can commit to the serious demands required for even training/playing for a Dublin division one club. 

In my club we've played 7 league games and 2 championship games this year and we've one lad on the U20 Dubs team and he's played 8 of the 9 games (not sure, but could well have been a knock rather than Dubs commitment why he missed the one game). Would that be happening in every county? Would certainly have been impossible for my club mate if he was in college in Cork or Galway as we've played 3 or 4 games on Wednesday evenings.

longballin

Quote from: Hound on June 15, 2018, 07:22:07 AM
It's a good job it's Kerry and not Dublin that have won all those minor titles in a row!

I really can't understand how all the money we give to those young lads doesn't guarantee success??

In seriousness, it is interesting how the Dubs are usually in the top 3 or 4 at U21 level most years, but are very much in the pack at minor level (but contend occasionally of course).

It's nothing to do with the "system". While it happens, it's pretty rare that someone plays 3 years at U21 (or now U20), a few will play 2 years, but there's still almost always big correlation between the minor team of 3 years ago and the current year U21 team.

I think the highly competitive Dublin club scene plays a huge part in the development of these lads, as apart from the very odd lad who gets into the senior squad at 19, the players are all back to the clubs and play almost all club games. Also the big advantage that almost everyone goes to college in Dublin, so it's easier to stick at the football so they can commit to the serious demands required for even training/playing for a Dublin division one club. 

In my club we've played 7 league games and 2 championship games this year and we've one lad on the U20 Dubs team and he's played 8 of the 9 games (not sure, but could well have been a knock rather than Dubs commitment why he missed the one game). Would that be happening in every county? Would certainly have been impossible for my club mate if he was in college in Cork or Galway as we've played 3 or 4 games on Wednesday evenings.

There has always been anti Dublin begrudgery. Enjoy these great years. They won't last forever.

Rossfan

Leitrim will take over from them seeing as population figures don't matter ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 14, 2018, 11:21:45 PM

I like it  :D

+2

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown would be the favourites for the AI
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on June 15, 2018, 07:22:07 AM

Hound, parking arguements aside.

Could you pick a theoretical 4 teams so we could visual how strong each team would be?
#newbridgeornowhere

longballin

Quote from: Rossfan on June 15, 2018, 08:59:34 AM
Leitrim will take over from them seeing as population figures don't matter ::)

Unlikely... same as Roscommon very poor footballers there  :-\

kerryforsam2018

Why aren't people pushing for the Dublin county board to release their accounts? Shouldn't every counties accounts be open to the GAA public? I've seen a few things on twitter about the 2016 accounts for Dublin being available, the numbers look huge. Also I've seen loads of images on twitter about the effect that the finance available to Dublin GAA has had across the board. Not just with their senior footballers. I'll try to link images here if I can figure them out.

priceyreilly

;D Why is this freak copying my posts and pretending their his?

priceyreilly

Has anyone had a read of this thread? It's hilarious! Here's a few quotes from the early pages, this was 5 years ago!

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 22, 2013, 05:33:44 PM
And how do you propose to split Kilkenny?

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 22, 2013, 05:39:39 PM
Why Split them, come back to me when they win 10 all-Irelands in 15yrs or something, winning 2 in 3 hardly counts, Kilkenny killing teams for yrs, nobody talks of splitting them!!

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 22, 2013, 05:42:56 PM
How many people living in Dublin aren't from Dublin? How much funding coming to counties is due to funding due to Dublin?

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 22, 2013, 05:46:21 PM
How much do the Kilkenny county board spend on the footballers?

Quote from: antoinse on September 22, 2013, 11:59:35 PM
This bullsh** starts up every time Dublin wins and it is really sad. There is no way there should be a spilt in Dublin. Let counties get up off their own asses and do the work that the clubs continue to do at underage club level.

Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 24, 2013, 07:40:34 PM
time and again you claim Dublin got 7 million yet time and again you fail to provide evidence

Quote from: Drummerboy on September 24, 2013, 10:51:09 PM
Imagine Spain or Brazil being told they had to split their country for the World Cup because they were too good!! Ridiculous

Quote from: BartSimpson on September 25, 2013, 12:12:38 AM
Anti Dubs will always be just that.

If you don't like the smell of pig shit, and your sisters crack, then become a Dub, and enjoy the free life.

Get over it.

Quote from: maddog on September 25, 2013, 12:33:33 AM
Jesus lads, its about getting off yer hole and putting it up to the Dubs. Kerry do it regular, Mayo did it recently but not Sunday, we handed them their asses a couple of times. Splitting Dublin is ludicrous. The real issue in the GAA is that hurling is on its ass, a few counties are there year in year out and no word of it.

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 25, 2013, 05:25:24 PM
This is vague unsubstatiated nonsense. The reason you don't have any detail is your making it up. 7 million of taxpayers money my hole!

Quote from: INDIANA on September 25, 2013, 05:32:11 PM
Nobody knows anything about this 7m except you.

I know exactly how Dublin have made incremental improvements. And money was the least of them!

The only substantial improvement offered from the GAA was to increase the number of GPO's from 14 to 50 and half their salary is paid by the club itself!

So you haven't a rashers what's going on.

Quote from: INDIANA on September 25, 2013, 06:18:38 PM
7 million  ;D. This is quality entertainment.

In the mid 90's Dublin went up to Tyrone and went down to Kilkenny. They looked at their development teams and brought the concept to Dublin.

That's the root cause of our success recently. Nothing to do with 7m mythology

Quote from: INDIANA on September 25, 2013, 11:19:31 PM

Sorry do you or do you not admit that your original assertion of us getting 7m of taxpayer's money was untrue.

How do you know we received 3m of Govt money. Give me proof and I'll believe you . I promise!

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 22, 2014, 08:39:16 AM
Lads lets be serious here the Cluxtons, Flynns, Connolly, Brogans of this world are players who come along every 20 years. Dublin are having their purple patch. I'd be shocked if the players who replace these lads in 5-6 years are of their standard, despite the recent underage success.

Tyrone won 5 All Ireland minor titles (I think) in the 2000s and we've seen those players arent of the 97/98 standard.

The same excuses, the same deflection, the same abuse is now happening to those who call out this farce as back then. Only now I think more people have caught onto it. The Dubs used to deny the existence of any taxpayers money going into their underage system, the truth was there was more than was first thought.