Dogs

Started by pearses, October 25, 2007, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 16, 2020, 01:40:38 PM
Some parks have signs up saying things like, use leads if dogs can't be controlled, others are very specific and leads must be used.

You can't get it off a dog unless you stroke a dog that's got it on it's fur.

My point is not Covid related. Signs are clear. The dog owners using the park seem incapable of following basic rules

GJL

Quote from: LCohen on April 16, 2020, 02:50:23 PM
Some parks have signs up saying things like, use leads if dogs can't be controlled, others are very specific and leads must be used.

My point is not Covid related. Signs are clear. The dog owners using the park seem incapable of following basic rules

Dogs off a lead is fine as long as the owners are happy that they have control of the dog and they have the bags to clean up any mess the dog may leave. Letting dogs run about out of control and not cleaning up mess gives all the responsible dog owners a bad name.

LCohen

Quote from: GJL on April 16, 2020, 06:57:07 PM

Dogs off a lead is fine as long as the owners are happy that they have control of the dog and they have the bags to clean up any mess the dog may leave. Letting dogs run about out of control and not cleaning up mess gives all the responsible dog owners a bad name.

I'm not talking about dogs of the leash. I'm talking about dogs off the lead in parks with multiple signs that say dogs must be kept on a lead. I need hardly point out the important difference

JoG2

Quote from: LCohen on April 16, 2020, 07:49:50 PM

I'm not talking about dogs of the leash. I'm talking about dogs off the lead in parks with multiple signs that say dogs must be kept on a lead. I need hardly point out the important difference

Try living with the likes of a boxer dog that hasn't had 2 hours sprinting under its belt a day and you may change your tune. You'll little to be be moaning at by the sounds of it

Main Street

;D
When GAA board wannabe quack says  this about covid ...  ... ..... .....      have a bucket of salt nearby,  as it just keeps coming.

LCohen

Quote from: JoG2 on April 16, 2020, 10:17:09 PM

Try living with the likes of a boxer dog that hasn't had 2 hours sprinting under its belt a day and you may change your tune. You'll little to be be moaning at by the sounds of it

3 issues here.

Firstly my grandson was recently attacked by a dog. Mauled would be a huge exaggeration but psychologically he is not in a great place. The park has become a nightmare now because other people can't/won't obey the rules.

Secondly I don't live with a boxer. Those that do have decided to. If they are responsible dog owners they will no doubt have assessed the dog's requirements and their ability to legally meet them before buying/breeding the dog?

Thirdly the point that the rules are clear and clearly displayed. So which category do the dog owners fall into - can't read, won't read or don't think rules apply to them?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on April 17, 2020, 12:25:00 AM

;D
When GAA board wannabe quack says  this about covid ...  ... ..... .....      have a bucket of salt nearby,  as it just keeps coming.

Karen from Facebook said it, so it's true  ;)

She said:
If dogs aren't transmitting COVID-19, why did one in Hong Kong test positive?
So far, only one dog has tested positive for coronavirus. The dog had swabs taken from its nose and mouth and these samples were found to be 'weak positive'. The dog had no signs of disease and its blood samples were negative for antibodies. It's believed that the positive results were due to the dog breathing in contaminated air from the infected owner. Later tests showed that the blood sample tested negative.

As with any surface, if someone with COVID-19 touches, sneezes or coughs on a dog, the virus could temporarily contaminate them. Although we don't know how long COVID-19 can survive on surfaces, scientists think that it could range from a few hours to several days, depending on the type of surface, how warm it is and levels of humidity.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dire Ear

Quote from: LCohen on April 17, 2020, 06:30:36 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on April 16, 2020, 10:17:09 PM

3 issues here.

Firstly my grandson was recently attacked by a dog. Mauled would be a huge exaggeration but psychologically he is not in a great place. The park has become a nightmare now because other people can't/won't obey the rules.

Secondly I don't live with a boxer. Those that do have decided to. If they are responsible dog owners they will no doubt have assessed the dog's requirements and their ability to legally meet them before buying/breeding the dog?

Thirdly the point that the rules are clear and clearly displayed. So which category do the dog owners fall into - can't read, won't read or don't think rules apply to them?
Agree 100% LCohen

Main Street

A dog attacking a young kid in a public place is an intolerable situation.
The park rules are made for the reckless owners and the responsible dog owners have to suffer them.

My dog is use to a daily 8km-10km run, fortunately  I live in a rural location, I take the bicycle out and she follows me at steady 15km/h pace, with plenty of pauses. I've seen owners use a  bike specific harness in urban areas, is that not an alternative for the active dog?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on April 19, 2020, 12:59:31 PM
The park rules are made for the reckless owners and the responsible dog owners have to suffer them.

My dog is use to a daily 8km-10km run, fortunately  I live in a rural location, I take the bicycle out and she follows me at steady 15km/h pace, with plenty of pauses. I've seen owners use a  bike specific harness in urban areas, is that not an alternative for the active dog?

There are plenty straps for running with dogs, I see plenty, if your dog has the capacity to maul a child then it should be on a lead, my two dogs couldn't maul the face off a jelly baby.

I've never taken them to a place that requires me to put a lead on them other than walking through the streets.

Wouldn't be keen to use a strap for a dog on a bike! The feckers stop to sniff and every post!

But if the wardens patrol the parks and hand out warnings it would certainly help, and the lazy dog owners who don't pick up their dogs poohs need a kicking
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Possibly covered before, but why do some dog owners tie the poo-bags on hedges?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orior on April 19, 2020, 04:11:37 PM
Possibly covered before, but why do some dog owners tie the poo-bags on hedges?
Because they are lazy cnuts with no respect for others or the environment they live in.

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 19, 2020, 01:52:40 PM

There are plenty straps for running with dogs, I see plenty, if your dog has the capacity to maul a child then it should be on a lead, my two dogs couldn't maul the face off a jelly baby.

I've never taken them to a place that requires me to put a lead on them other than walking through the streets.

Wouldn't be keen to use a strap for a dog on a bike! The feckers stop to sniff and every post!

But if the wardens patrol the parks and hand out warnings it would certainly help, and the lazy dog owners who don't pick up their dogs poohs need a kicking
That why I wrote "with plenty of pauses"  :D  You have to allow for quality sniff time, even on a bike.

Thing is, the bike harnesss might be an alternative for a dog who needs  serious exercise.

LCohen

I suppose my simple point is that people who don't read signs should read signs and that those who do read signs should follow them. Incredibly some people will find that a controversial position.

Going slightly further I would ask those who don't think the rules apply to them what words would they use if they were asked to publicly justify their view that the rule doesn't apply to them?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: LCohen on April 20, 2020, 10:52:11 AM

I suppose my simple point is that people who don't read signs should read signs and that those who do read signs should follow them. Incredibly some people will find that a controversial position.

Going slightly further I would ask those who don't think the rules apply to them what words would they use if they were asked to publicly justify their view that the rule doesn't apply to them?

It's a bit like speeding, if the sign says 30 mph then why do people go over it? Madness