Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Did you see Scullion's reply to him on twitter?? Quite damning.

Milltown Row2

All about opinions, and considering the views on here as a gauge, no one will be happy with his choice
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Caesar

Overall I don't think the team is too far away, but saying McBride is the best half back Antrim have had in 20 years is laughable! haha

Spike

McBride, Madden and Kelly wouldn't have made my team, none have done anything of note in a county jersey.  Valid pros and cons arguments for the rest.  How at least one of the McGourtys, Tomas McCann, Andy McLean, Tony Convery or Tony Scullion didn't make it for services given to the county team is beyond me.

NAG1

Quote from: Spike on December 12, 2019, 01:06:47 PM
McBride, Madden and Kelly wouldn't have made my team, none have done anything of note in a county jersey.  Valid pros and cons arguments for the rest.  How at least one of the McGourtys, Tomas McCann, Andy McLean, Tony Convery or Tony Scullion didn't make it for services given to the county team is beyond me.

I don't think length of service comes into it, its the best players regardless.

Cranfield

Quote from: NAG1 on December 12, 2019, 01:49:23 PM
Quote from: Spike on December 12, 2019, 01:06:47 PM

I don't think length of service comes into it, its the best players regardless.

Stupid comment Spike but considering your comments on Kelly and Madden previously, then understandable.

Kelly probably played below his high standards at county but still more than good enough to be in the team. IMO he was the best footballer in the county during this period. Madden was top scorer in entire national league a couple of years in early 2000s and only scoring forward we had for years. Him and Brady the only players we had that got picked for Railway Cup during that time.

Harshest exclusion was probably Tony Scullion. I'd have had him in for Colin Brady. The rest is splitting hairs. Big Tony Convery, Ricky Johnston, McGourtys, Conor Murray, Tomas MCann all class acts. Maybe the irish news could do a second 15 next week lol

Spike

CFD - Kelly 'probably' played below his high standards? I don't believe there is a doubt in that.   
Madden a good free taker playing in a poor team but Paddy Cunningham better free taker and better player. We cant have two free takers on the team lol! 
Still stick by my 'opinion'. Saw enough of all these fellows to form a valid opinion over the period. 

NAG1 - you're right, length of service shouldn't come into it (otherwise Kevin Doyle would be on the team) but its a nice bonus when trying to decide between some tight calls. 

Cranfield

Martin Mulholland and Anto Finnegan had to be considered also.

The more I think on the Paddy McBride, I think excluding him would be extremely harsh. It's not like you need to think back 15 or 20 years. I'd hazard a guess and say he's been our top scorer in championship the last 5 or 6 years. I was at the Kildare game this year and the man carried Antrim on his own. I think he scored something ridiculous like 0-6 from play.

Spike

Agree on Martin Mulholland, sound defender. The other two would be in the squad....not the team

Cranfield

Quote from: Spike on December 12, 2019, 03:02:29 PM
CFD - Kelly 'probably' played below his high standards? I don't believe there is a doubt in that.   
Madden a good free taker playing in a poor team but Paddy Cunningham better free taker and better player. We cant have two free takers on the team lol! 
Still stick by my 'opinion'. Saw enough of all these fellows to form a valid opinion over the period. 

NAG1 - you're right, length of service shouldn't come into it (otherwise Kevin Doyle would be on the team) but its a nice bonus when trying to decide between some tight calls.

Paddy Cunningham made the team ya ballon lol Couldn't argue that Cunningham probably was a better free-taker but madden was fit to take men on & PC wasn't. Can you seriously not make case for McBride?

Forget the second 15 I wonder could they do a county 15 and then a cargin one?  ;D

Spike

Quote from: Cranfield on December 12, 2019, 03:15:02 PM
Quote from: Spike on December 12, 2019, 03:02:29 PM

Paddy Cunningham made the team ya ballon lol

Couldn't argue that Cunningham probably was a better free-taker but madden was fit to take men on & PC wasn't. Can you seriously not make case for McBride?

Forget the second 15 I wonder could they do a county 15 and then a cargin one?  ;D

Did you not read the line after that?? Read whats written, not what you want to read - ''We cant have two free takers on the team lol!''  Madden was a good player but Cunningham was better. Pretty straightforward. CJ McGourty was better than the both of them.

Of course McBrides a good player, but there are better half backs than him and also better half forwards. Thats why he'd make my squad and not my team.  I made a case for st galls players too like McLean but that appears to have been ignored.   Its not my fault if Creggan haven't produced a county player of note in 20 years  ;)

Real shame that Fitzpatrick isn't turning out for Antrim next year - big Loss.

Cranfield

I give you the two johnstons spike  8)

You won't care to admit (a little too close to home perhaps) but Marty J is another player who has dominated Mick McCann anytime they have met.

But you'll probably tell me that somebody else was supposed to be following Marty back  ;D

Antrim and Creggan could sure be doing with a fully fit Marty!

Spike

'Marty J is another player who has dominated Mick McCann anytime they have met'

Jesus wept. 

Belfast GAA man

Conor Murray not a better call than Paddy McBride? Tony Scullion should have been one of the first names on that team

Milltown Row2

You can't pick on sentiment ffs! Picking a player because he played for years is wrong. Getting hard tackles in and making dead alley runs from half back line shouldn't mean you get picked
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea