What Rule changes should the GAA introduce for football if any ?

Started by johnpower, October 01, 2011, 12:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnpower

Hi now that the "Winter talk "is upon us any ideas of rule changes that the GAA should introduce to make the game better .

Eamonnca1

The open hand pass looks ridiculous. Bring us back to when it was fist passes only.

Kerry Mike

Accurate time keeping and no more of the "at least 2 minutes" crap that is rolled out at the end of most games and half times.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Mike Sheehy

Whatever rules are needed to allow natural footballers to prevail over lesser talented individuals whose only aim is to prevent natural footballers from playing. If we dont act then the game will be ruined by the likes of Donegal and Tyrone

emmetryan

Talent will out. We shouldn't legislate against innovation, even if the aesthetics of that innovation don't appeal to all*. Donegal and Tyrone play by the same rule book as everybody else, including all natural footballers. If they can't beat 'lesser talented' players then perhaps we need to redefine what talent is as I expect players and teams to be able to adapt for what's put in front of them and find a way to beat with. If every team played the same way, the sport would get samey very fast. One of the appeals of the Championship is the different kind of tests teams must go through before a champion is crowned.

*Personally I like to watch free flowing attacking Football with accurate shooting but I appreciate the strengths of defence oriented teams.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

thewobbler

The only rule thats needed is a rule to stop fuckwits thinking they can improve the game by changing its rules all the time.

Leave our game alone fuckwits.

INDIANA

number of handpasses as to happen. And will happen based on what I've heard. Donegal will have to learn to kick the ball soon.

mannix

Quote from: thewobbler on October 01, 2011, 11:30:38 AM
The only rule thats needed is a rule to stop fuckwits thinking they can improve the game by changing its rules all the time.

Leave our game alone fuckwits.

Clearly you did not watch donegal play Olympic handball all summer. The amount of hand passes is number one on my list. Does this make me a f wit?

Maguire01

emmetryan

The problem with getting rid of the square ball rule is that it could really unbalance the game. The rule is clearly flawed, no question, but if it's removed there needs to be some other changed made to try and adapt for it.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

thewobbler

Of course I saw Donegal this summer Mannix.

I've also seen enough TG4 Gold to know that Kerry spent their "golden years" handpassing other teams into submission. This is the nature of football?

You know happens? Other teams come along with a different strategy, and football changes to adapt.

INDIANA

teams will have to adapt wobbler because a rule will happen soon. And not before time in my view.

thewobbler

Wrong Indiana.

Teams will adapt because the levels of commitment required to play defensive football bring no fun, and so far, little reward. There aren't enough players in the country interested in playing such a system for it be able to flourish.

Five years ago, Jose Mourinho's 'defence first' tactic was being mooted as the way forward for soccer. Then Barcelona came along.

I really wish people you had enough confidence in our game to allow it to peak and trough organically. Fast forwarding 'fixes' through the rules brings nothing but confusion and disenchantment.

INDIANA

there is no fix wobbler this time and the stats back it up. Hand-passing is getting more prevalent year on year. Sometimes drastic action is needed.

thewobbler

Handpassing is not an illness on the game though Indiana. The 'fact' that it's on the rise doesn't mean anything. Most teams still use handpassing to release an attack and not slow things down.

Give me a well worked handpassing move any day ahead if an aimless hoof towards a full forward line.