Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Club Rossa

Surely Mickey can't drop O'Neill for the next game.He was excellent yesterday.

lenny

Quote from: Club Rossa on May 18, 2015, 06:45:49 PM
Surely Mickey can't drop O'Neill for the next game.He was excellent yesterday.

With most people saying this is going to be Harte's last year will the Tyrone RTE ban continue next year. Tyrone continue to get very negative comments by the RTE panellists and this will continue for as long as the boycott keeps going.

rrhf

Goes back to 80s time. Say it whatever way you will but it  has its roots in anti northern partition friendly sources. In brollys case where a little knowledge can be such a danger, I'd say the guys are laughing at getting a northern nationalist to attack the gaa set up here. 

tc_manchester

Jimmy McGuinness's analyse of the game

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-column-mature-donegal-display-could-herald-a-new-era-1.2217272

The most pertinent part for me is :

Tyrone are so well coached and are patient and their running game worked. Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly were terrific. They played with a lot of width and retained possession well. But they lacked a point of reference at the top of their attack. I thought that could have been another string to their bow.

The Donegal defenders knew that they were facing a running game all the time and prepared for that.

We've been running into a brick wall for 5 years now - if the man won't change then it's time to change the man.

Sunny Day

To be honest TCM and in Mickey's defence he showed great confidence and trust in giving our U21 Cathal McShane (MOM in All Ireland U21 final) that role in the game.  On watching Cathal's super U21 performances and most likely his training he probably warranted his position.  We talk about giving the young lads their chance to mature and no doubt Cathal would have learned alot from the game on Sunday.  I certainly wouldnt be knocking Mickey or for making this bold decision nor pour negativity on our youth.  Its a decision that can go either way.  I can refer you back to Davy Fitz's decision in 2013 All Ireland Hurling Final when Clare U21 Shane O'Donnell replaced Honan hours before the game.  Tyrone are maybe lacking one killer spearhead forward ( Sean Cavanagh cant play in every position).  I certainly wouldnt go knocking Mickey on that decision!  Cathal's performance could have went either way,  but he will have learned a great deal from Sunday and I'm certain this will be invaluable come the qualifers.  Tyrone has a great opportunity now.  They can introduce their U21's during the qualifiers and make a good run on the AI series from here.  I think they are in a good position given the performance on Sunday past. 

tc_manchester

I agree with you Sunny Day re Cathal and Ruairi Brennan - they will have learnt so much from the game against Donegal and hopefully more of the U-21s will get blooded over the summer. My main gripe is with the tactics. There is no variation in our play. For 10 minutes in the second half it might just have been worth having Sean and Mattie in full forward and launching it on top of them. The one thing it might have done is forced the Donegal defence further back so you might have had more room to run at them. As Jimmy McGuinness said they knew that Tyrone were going to run at them all day. The running game will work against the lesser counties but it has been proved over the last 5 years that it doesn't against top 8 counties. We haven't taken a major scalp in 5 years.

LeoMc

I thought there was a bit more variety and tactical than we had seen recently.
The long ball from which Colm hit the cross bar had been tried earlier with a ball dropped in on McNulty. A bit like the move for McCurrys goal it looked like something which had been worked on in training but was to be used sparingly.

Sunny Day

TCM - I'm supportive of your point -  You can refer back to a post I made after the Tyrone Donegal league game regarding a tactic that Tyrone should adopt.  If they have a skilful, tall, strong full forward it could reap rewards especially against the blanket defence situation.  A swift counter attack coming down the wings and launching a high diagional ball into the scoring zone would test any full back,  but in particular Donegals Full Back Line.  The problem being Tyrone needs Sean Cavanagh and Mattie doing the hard work in the middle third. Catch 22.  As I say, we lack 1 spearhead forward.  Daniel McNulty might be the makings of one.  Maybe if Conor Clarke, Joe McMahon, Cathal McShane gets some more game time it could free up Sean C or Mattie D to take up a new role.  Would also like to see Richard Donnelly get some game time in the qualifiers.  Pity that fella Kyle Coney didnt stick with it,  he might have been able to present another option.  He seemed to pull the plug very early in the year when in actual fact he was on the starting team.

tc_manchester

Quote from: LeoMc on May 19, 2015, 01:35:22 PM
I thought there was a bit more variety and tactical than we had seen recently.
The long ball from which Colm hit the cross bar had been tried earlier with a ball dropped in on McNulty. A bit like the move for McCurrys goal it looked like something which had been worked on in training but was to be used sparingly.

Granted 2 occasions (and to be truthful they are the only 2 that I can remember) - the long ball to Colm was at the end of the game when a goal was required and we'd spent the second half running into brick walls. If we'd hit a target man round the square a bit more often we might have created a few more score chances. Remember we didn't score for the last 23 minutes of the game.

As an aside it just shows how conditioned you get to watching a style of play. When I watched the U-21s playing in the semis and final I was shocked seeing  long ball being hit into Dan McNulty so often. I'd got so used to watching the perceived safety of constant hand passing of the ball that I couldn't believe that we were taking a risk by hitting it long :D

nrico2006

Quote from: Sunny Day on May 19, 2015, 02:00:04 PM
TCM - I'm supportive of your point -  You can refer back to a post I made after the Tyrone Donegal league game regarding a tactic that Tyrone should adopt.  If they have a skilful, tall, strong full forward it could reap rewards especially against the blanket defence situation.  A swift counter attack coming down the wings and launching a high diagional ball into the scoring zone would test any full back,  but in particular Donegals Full Back Line.  The problem being Tyrone needs Sean Cavanagh and Mattie doing the hard work in the middle third. Catch 22.  As I say, we lack 1 spearhead forward.  Daniel McNulty might be the makings of one.  Maybe if Conor Clarke, Joe McMahon, Cathal McShane gets some more game time it could free up Sean C or Mattie D to take up a new role.  Would also like to see Richard Donnelly get some game time in the qualifiers.  Pity that fella Kyle Coney didnt stick with it,  he might have been able to present another option.  He seemed to pull the plug very early in the year when in actual fact he was on the starting team.

Was Coney not shipped out?  One player who could do a job in there is Johnny Lafferty.  Big, quick and deadly.  Another one let go by Harte though without ever really being given a chance.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tc_manchester

All we can hope is that Micky has a Damascene conversion on the road to Garvaghy and sees the light.

nrico2006

Quote from: tc_manchester on May 19, 2015, 02:19:06 PM
All we can hope is that Micky has a Damascene conversion on the road to Garvaghy and sees the light.

As was predicted at the start of the year, we are on the road to nowhere again in no small part to Hartes inability to change his strategy.  There was nothing new on show at the weekend that wasn't on display during the previous 3 meetings.  Some people never learn.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Sunny Day

We arent a million miles off TCM to be honest.  Yes a little variety is good,  Kerry are good at changing, adopting, moulding and reinventing themselves for each opposition they meet.  Though alot of that depends on the personnel you have at your disposal. Only 1 score seperated the sides on Sunday against the 2014 All Ireland Finalists and the 2012 All Ireland Champions.  We have good options.  .  .  .   .  .NICRO - Not sure about Kyle C but I was under the impression that he left the set up as he wasnt getting regular football.  He is an excellent free taker,  something Tyrone are lacking at the moment.  Regarding J Laverty -  I cant comment as I wouldnt have seen enough of him at club or county level. 

Mikhailov

Regarding the Kyle Coney situation, I am of the understanding and I stand corrected on this - it wasn't the fact he wasn't getting regular football as the problem, more so the fact that he was getting regularly taken off EARLY in games whilst others appeared to get more minutes and favoured team selection. However, as I said I could be wrong.

Ask any forward at any level and they will agree that it is very difficult to play when you are constantly looking at the side line waiting for the curly finger in spite of your efforts. You end up trying too hard and digging a bigger hole for yourself. I felt sorry for Coney, admittedly he wasn't playing well but certain players need a run of games (4-6) to show their true worth and he appears to be one of them.

No doubt there will be plenty of posters who will disagree and say he got plenty of chances but this is only my reading of the situation.

longballin

FFS half the names mentioned on the thread regarding doing a job for tyrone wouldn't make a top 4 team in tyrone club football. Some people need to wise up.