Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on December 29, 2023, 11:51:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 29, 2023, 07:54:49 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 29, 2023, 07:37:51 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 29, 2023, 07:18:41 PMMy first house required a deposit, albeit it was 5%, that was 24 years ago..

The problem with society today is kids want things right away, the new car, having 2 cars at that, the holidays and city breaks, the 3 grand sofas and top end kitchens and appliances 70" tv and the list goes on.

Why was it ok for the 2 generations ago people to settle for and not todays?!
A lot of stuff is bought on credit and savings levels are much lower than they used to be. That is not ideal.

That's on them, I saved for a year nearly every penny and worked 7 days a week leading up to getting a deposit for a house.

I'll help as much as I can, but, there is a limit. Some selfishness too I suppose, you get one crack at this life, enjoy the fruits of your labour and if there's any left over they can have it.

I'll be hopeful that they'll get decent jobs, meet someone and then they'll follow the blueprint, instead of expecting things to just land on their lap.

Social media is putting a serious amount of people in debt

Should parents not  be partly to blame for raising  kids who just want want want?

Two families near us : both sets of kids around same ages .  One set demanded/got  everything they wanted growing up,  now have no idea the value of money. Want want want all the time. If they got a fiver or 1000 quid , it'd be gone  in hours.  They work but spend everything they earn , always on the borrow , never paying back or. COntribute. Never save even  though big events coming up.  They know parents  will bail them out

Other set ,  the opposite. Knew from early age  they wouldn't get everything they want. Made to save up  or wait for things.  All sensible with money , although not  tight arses either  with it. They know the value of it. Most importantly they know if they blow all their money ,  they won't get more handed to them. 

The reason for  the 4 spoilt kids in one house , is  clearly their upbringing/parenting

Yeah parents are to blame for large parts but that genie has left the bottle and no way is it going back in.

As Tony says, there's a balance to be made, I'll not be buying cars that's for sure.

kids need to know the worth of money. God help them lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

Alot of parents are to blame because that's the way they were brought up themselves.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 30, 2023, 02:22:29 PMAlot of parents are to blame because that's the way they were brought up themselves.

Were you brought up with everything handed to ya?

I don't know anyone who was gifted stuff the way they are now.

I think parents (myself included in parts) is giving them a 'better' quality of life to the hardworking lives I grew up with.

Striking the balance is the key
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AustinPowers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 30, 2023, 02:40:29 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 30, 2023, 02:22:29 PMAlot of parents are to blame because that's the way they were brought up themselves.

Were you brought up with everything handed to ya?

I don't know anyone who was gifted stuff the way they are now.

I think parents (myself included in parts) is giving them a 'better' quality of life to the hardworking lives I grew up with.

Striking the balance is the key

I think a lot of parents  relent very easily  these days.  The amount of stuff kids get from such   a young age is mad.  Whether the parents can afford  it or not. 

Some parents we know seem to  have this idea that they're looked upon  as failures  as parents if they don't get  their kids the latest toys, gadgets , phones etc.  They need to learn to say no , because  they're really not doing their kids any  favours giving them everything they want

Hound

Bought my son a car.
Doesn't half pay off around this time of year when he's my readymade taxi man!
Thankfully he's more into sport and fitness than boozing

Orior

Quote from: Rossfan on January 08, 2024, 05:38:11 PMhttps://m.independent.ie/irish-news/hefty-bill-for-sinn-feins-gerry-kelly-as-judge-throws-out-scandalous-attempt-to-sue-journalist-malachi-odoherty/a2066617518.html

Sounds like we'll have to listen to even more shite on Nolan from Malachi (the celeverest man ever from the Falls Road, according to himself). I'd like to see a debate between Malachi, RDE and Squinter of Andytown news fame.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Eire90

trailer

Quote from: Eire90 on January 08, 2024, 07:59:18 PMno sympathy for gerry kelly

None. SF want to shut down debate by suing anyone who says something negative about them. Worrying.

Main Street

Quote from: Orior on January 08, 2024, 07:44:24 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 08, 2024, 05:38:11 PMhttps://m.independent.ie/irish-news/hefty-bill-for-sinn-feins-gerry-kelly-as-judge-throws-out-scandalous-attempt-to-sue-journalist-malachi-odoherty/a2066617518.html

Sounds like we'll have to listen to even more shite on Nolan from Malachi (the celeverest man ever from the Falls Road, according to himself). I'd like to see a debate between Malachi, RDE and Squinter of Andytown news fame.
9pm RTE news had him pegged on screen as Dr.Malachai, he probably insisted on it ;D   

Wildweasel74

Seemed to have got into a awful habit of suing everyone these days, need a tougher skin than that.

Itchy

Some of the lawsuits are fair in that media have a responsibility to be neutral in and my opinion there is quite a lot of them that are in the pocket of the establishment. We have had this debate before. However this lawsuit for defamation by Kelly was never going to succeed as he had no chance to prove one of the important tiers of defamation - that his good character had been demeaned. Hard to do that in court when you've been convicted previously of bombing. Bit of an own goal by SF this one.

However that does not excuse what was a blatant lie by the journalist involved.

trailer

Quote from: Itchy on January 09, 2024, 08:07:48 AMSome of the lawsuits are fair in that media have a responsibility to be neutral in and my opinion there is quite a lot of them that are in the pocket of the establishment. We have had this debate before. However this lawsuit for defamation by Kelly was never going to succeed as he had no chance to prove one of the important tiers of defamation - that his good character had been demeaned. Hard to do that in court when you've been convicted previously of bombing. Bit of an own goal by SF this one.

However that does not excuse what was a blatant lie by the journalist involved.

In that it was Kelly who fired the shot? Is that what you mean?

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on January 08, 2024, 08:47:01 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on January 08, 2024, 07:59:18 PMno sympathy for gerry kelly

None. SF want to shut down debate by suing anyone who says something negative about them. Worrying.

Except Malachi wasn't engaging in any sort of "debate". What he did do was publicly accuse Gerry Kelly of being guilty of something a court had already found him not guilty of.

I've asked you before and I'll ask you again (because you still haven't managed to provide an answer): why is it "worrying" that SF figures might want to defend themselves when they believe they have been defamed, but not when other political figures do the same? FF in particular have a long history of elected reps taking defamation cases and you have yet to comment on those, funnily. Why is that?

NAG1

Does no harm for these establishment journo's to have to think twice before publishing these hit job stories on SF.

FF/FG using their media mates to try and cloud the issues prior to an election.