Rugby - what's the attraction?

Started by BennyCake, October 11, 2012, 12:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: Orior on October 01, 2019, 04:20:45 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 01, 2019, 04:14:20 PM
Interesting that most posters are not fans of Ireland's Call.  Is that solely due to its failings as a song?  Surely there is merit in having a song that everyone either playing or spectating can identify with.

I'd prefer "Danny Boy"   aka "the arse of London"   aka "London Derrière"
Never heard that before - Quite funny - When the GSTQ fans among the NI football team support rule out Danny Boy, they claim it's no good as folk can't hit the high notes!

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on October 01, 2019, 02:34:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 01, 2019, 02:25:14 PM
Quote from: joemamas on October 01, 2019, 02:22:43 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2019, 12:46:18 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 01, 2019, 12:31:21 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 01, 2019, 12:28:06 PM
I don't think the snobbery exists like it use to. Plenty of people I know love to play and watch rugby and they would be anything but snobs.
Personally I don't like the sport, I find it boring and not very entertaining. I hate the way its hyped up like the This is Rugby Country and Team of us nonsense.
I also hate Ireland's Call,  and while I know that's not unique to Rugby it is more associated with it than say Hockey who also use it.
I don't feel any connection whatsoever to the Ireland rugby team. Its also cringe the over the top reactions to a friendly win against a New Zealand C team or whatever.

Must be freaky Friday or something, because I've just agreed with everything you just said  ;D

I agree with both of ye....
Definitely need to lie down for a while ;D

+1
I live in the US and a lot ex pats' ask me am I excited about Ireland and the world cup, just shrug my shoulders and say, not really I don't follow it.
the English, and  French are a lot more enthusiastic than I am.

I watched a few games four years ago when I was back for the all-Ireland, it just feels like American football without the pads.
as I young fella I used to remember guys flying up and down the wings and it was exciting, nowdays seems like a different game.
finally, that Irelands song BS doesnt exactly do it for me either.

Ah come on! American football is a far, far better game.

If I never hear Ireland's Call again it'll be too soon. No offense to Phil coulter - he probably fulfilled his brief to a tee with this shite - but it's godawfulshite.

American Football is shite, but Rugby is even worse.

Agreed on that Ireland's Call bollocks.  Pure dung.
Interesting that most posters are not fans of Ireland's Call.  Is that solely due to its failings as a song?  Surely there is merit in having a song that everyone either playing or spectating can identify with.

It's totally false and cringeworthy. I'd rather have no anthem. "The four proud provinces" - except the IRFU tried to remove one of them. I know I'm in the minority as inexplicably loads of people have bought into this hypocritical rubbish. "We have come to answer our country's call" - give me a break.

RedHand88

Issues I have with rugger.

Have you ever seen a sport where so many of the "fans" don't understand the rules? A recent Heino advert even alludes to this - "you don't need to know the rules to enjoy the game." Sorry, but no.

Bringing out postage stamps to commemorate winning a six team league 3 years out of 6. Embarrassing.

Releasing a DVD of a friendly and marketing it as the greatest day in Irish rugby history. Cringe!

The downright snobbery of a portion of their fans towards other sports, soccer in particular, as not being "manly" enough.

Rhyming "call" with "tall" and calling it an anthem.

The relentless marketing of "team of us", "this is rugby country" , despite the fact that in participation numbers, it's behind soccer, both GAA codes, swimming, running, golf, dance(!).

They all live in their D4/Ravenhill bubble.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 01, 2019, 05:02:20 PM
I don't think the snobbery exists like it use to. Plenty of people I know love to play and watch rugby and they would be anything but snobs.
Personally I don't like the sport, I find it boring and not very entertaining. I hate the way its hyped up like the This is Rugby Country and Team of us nonsense.
I also hate Ireland's Call,  and while I know that's not unique to Rugby it is more associated with it than say Hockey who also use it.
I don't feel any connection whatsoever to the Ireland rugby team. Its also cringe the over the top reactions to a friendly win against a New Zealand C team or whatever.

Must be freaky Friday or something, because I've just agreed with everything you just said  ;D

+1
I live in the US and a lot ex pats' ask me am I excited about Ireland and the world cup, just shrug my shoulders and say, not really I don't follow it.

I watched a few games four years ago when I was back for the all-Ireland, it just feels like American football without the pads.
as I young fella I used to remember guys flying up and down the wings and it was exciting, nowdays seems like a different game.

If I never hear Ireland's Call again it'll be too soon. No offense to Phil coulter - he probably fulfilled his brief to a tee with this shite - but it's godawfulshite.

It's totally false and cringeworthy. I'd rather have no anthem. "The four proud provinces" - except the IRFU tried to remove one of them. I know I'm in the minority as inexplicably loads of people have bought into this hypocritical rubbish. "We have come to answer our country's call" - give me a break.
This. I like to see the Connacht team do well if for no other reason than that.

BennyCake

It's funny, but for all the IRFU's attempts to show inclusivity with the people North and South, and both religions, it does exactly the opposite. They draw attention to the fact that the island and people are divided, by having two anthems and two (or even) flags.

If you're going to play an anthem, play one or none. And fly only one flag, or none.

Anyone looking at the ireland setup regarding flags/anthems, must be wondering WTF?

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on October 01, 2019, 06:32:11 PM

It's funny, but for all the IRFU's attempts to show inclusivity with the people North and South, and both religions, it does exactly the opposite. They draw attention to the fact that the island and people are divided, by having two anthems and two (or even) flags.

If you're going to play an anthem, play one or none. And fly only one flag, or none.

Anyone looking at the ireland setup regarding flags/anthems, must be wondering WTF?

Lol. Either you're on the wind up or else your interpretation of inclusivity is stamp all over the minority.

imtommygunn

Your posts almost read like you are going out of your way to get offended here...

BennyCake

Quote from: thewobbler on October 01, 2019, 06:35:31 PM

Lol. Either you're on the wind up or else your interpretation of inclusivity is stamp all over the minority.

I didn't say they should play the Irish national anthem or fly the tri-colour. I said one flag and one anthem.

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 01, 2019, 06:39:58 PM

Your posts almost read like you are going out of your way to get offended here...

Why would I be offended? I was merely making an observation.

imtommygunn

You just seem a bit more worked up than an "observer" would be.

Tony Baloney

You could share fill up this board with individual threads on things you don't like. Or you could just let people who do like stuff go about their business and stick to the stuff that interests you. I will make an exception for the Man United thread though.

t_mac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 01, 2019, 07:46:37 PM
You could share fill up this board with individual threads on things you don't like. Or you could just let people who do like stuff go about their business and stick to the stuff that interests you. I will make an exception for the Man United thread though.

Apply to folk who like anything, really? Cop yourself on for fcuksake you are one of the reasons for the boring thread.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 01, 2019, 05:24:10 PM

+1

This. I like to see the Connacht team do well if for no other reason than that.

Connacht winning the Pro12 as it was at the time and beating the IRFU's favourite child in the final was simply fantastic.

Esmarelda

What's this about them trying to remove a province?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 01, 2019, 11:35:17 AM
I'll watch most sports and really want Ireland to do well. I've watched rugby all my life and usually enjoy it. I just find the hype and bandwagon absolutely nauseating. Like we're trying to make this game against Russia into some sort of momentous do or die battle. Connacht whipped these guys 3 weeks ago and Samoa also hammered them in the tournament. Yet we've articles about the roof being closed and the weather conditions.....give me a break. Ireland toured here 2 years ago and we've supposedly the greatest coach ever - surely the team is prepared for the conditions??? Ireland should put 60/70 points on these guys at their ease.

Exactly my thinking on the game. It is the in your face from the media that really gets to me as well. Was I happy Ireland lost to Japan the last day, of course not but it was the least of my sporting 'worries' if you all get me. Also another thing I don't like is whenever Ireland get the ball they mostly run head down into rucks. I dont find that particular skill skilful to be honest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.