Rugby - what's the attraction?

Started by BennyCake, October 11, 2012, 12:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on October 01, 2019, 12:28:06 PM
I don't think the snobbery exists like it use to. Plenty of people I know love to play and watch rugby and they would be anything but snobs.
Personally I don't like the sport, I find it boring and not very entertaining. I hate the way its hyped up like the This is Rugby Country and Team of us nonsense.
I also hate Ireland's Call,  and while I know that's not unique to Rugby it is more associated with it than say Hockey who also use it.
I don't feel any connection whatsoever to the Ireland rugby team. Its also cringe the over the top reactions to a friendly win against a New Zealand C team or whatever.

Must be freaky Friday or something, because I've just agreed with everything you just said  ;D

Especially the bit in bold.

lurganblue

I don't think the snobbery exists like it use to. Plenty of people I know love to play and watch rugby and they would be anything but snobs.
Personally I don't like the sport, I find it boring and not very entertaining. I hate the way its hyped up like the This is Rugby Country and Team of us nonsense.
I also hate Ireland's Call,  and while I know that's not unique to Rugby it is more associated with it than say Hockey who also use it.
I don't feel any connection whatsoever to the Ireland rugby team. Its also cringe the over the top reactions to a friendly win against a New Zealand C team or whatever.

Agree with everything, especially the hatred towards the Phil Coulter Anthem. 

If it was on I'd watch it but I never go out of my way to see a game.  The amount of people I know who suddenly become fans of rugby for the 6 nations or a world cup is unbelievable.  They've absolute no interest in a club team or Ulster or whatever but then spout shite about the Irish team.

GetOverTheBar

If it's not for you, it's not for you lads but the whole 'team of us thing'.....like, it's just branding you know? When it's a rugby world cup in a professional sport....of course they are going to push it to get folk to pay 70 odd Euro for a jersey. Same as the Dubs / Tyrone / Whoever releasing the new jersey for the season ahead curiously 5/6 weeks every year before xmas.

I like the fact Ireland competes as one nation in a sport and is pretty damn good at it too. Now whilst everyone isn't a fan of Ireland's Call it's a small price to pay for having the world recognise the nation as one for a change and be actually relevant in a growing sport.

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on October 01, 2019, 12:31:21 PM

Must be freaky Friday or something, because I've just agreed with everything you just said  ;D

I agree with both of ye....
Definitely need to lie down for a while ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Quote from: lurganblue on October 01, 2019, 12:37:04 PM

If it was on I'd watch it but I never go out of my way to see a game.  The amount of people I know who suddenly become fans of rugby for the 6 nations or a world cup is unbelievable.  They've absolute no interest in a club team or Ulster or whatever but then spout shite about the Irish team.
Not like the soccer boys who follow their local club up and down the country.

lurganblue

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 01, 2019, 02:04:57 PM

I didn't mention a local team.  I'd say the vast majority of soccer fans support a club team of some description and don't just rock up for World Cups.

joemamas

Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2019, 12:46:18 PM

+1
I live in the US and a lot ex pats' ask me am I excited about Ireland and the world cup, just shrug my shoulders and say, not really I don't follow it.
the English, and  French are a lot more enthusiastic than I am.

I watched a few games four years ago when I was back for the all-Ireland, it just feels like American football without the pads.
as I young fella I used to remember guys flying up and down the wings and it was exciting, nowdays seems like a different game.
finally, that Irelands song BS doesnt exactly do it for me either.

magpie seanie

Quote from: joemamas on October 01, 2019, 02:22:43 PM

+1
I live in the US and a lot ex pats' ask me am I excited about Ireland and the world cup, just shrug my shoulders and say, not really I don't follow it.

I watched a few games four years ago when I was back for the all-Ireland, it just feels like American football without the pads.
as I young fella I used to remember guys flying up and down the wings and it was exciting, nowdays seems like a different game.

Ah come on! American football is a far, far better game.

If I never hear Ireland's Call again it'll be too soon. No offense to Phil coulter - he probably fulfilled his brief to a tee with this shite - but it's godawfulshite.

general_lee

i Have a passing interest in rugby. I do enjoy the big hits and manliness that you just don't get in the likes of premiership football. There's an excitement in some matches in the 6 nations etc that Liverpool v Burnley just doesn't produce. I've been to an autumn international in the Aviva and it had a better atmosphere than most EPL matches. I still prefer Gaelic football and hurling and would watch any GAA match ahead of soccer or rugby

BennyCake

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 01, 2019, 02:25:14 PM

+1

If I never hear Ireland's Call again it'll be too soon. No offense to Phil coulter - he probably fulfilled his brief to a tee with this shite - but it's godawfulshite.

American Football is shite, but Rugby is even worse.

Agreed on that Ireland's Call bollocks.  Pure dung.

t_mac

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 01, 2019, 02:04:57 PM

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on October 01, 2019, 02:34:37 PM

+1

Interesting that most posters are not fans of Ireland's Call.  Is that solely due to its failings as a song?  Surely there is merit in having a song that everyone either playing or spectating can identify with.

seafoid

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 01, 2019, 12:39:30 PM
If it's not for you, it's not for you lads but the whole 'team of us thing'.....like, it's just branding you know? When it's a rugby world cup in a professional sport....of course they are going to push it to get folk to pay 70 odd Euro for a jersey. Same as the Dubs / Tyrone / Whoever releasing the new jersey for the season ahead curiously 5/6 weeks every year before xmas.

I like the fact Ireland competes as one nation in a sport and is pretty damn good at it too. Now whilst everyone isn't a fan of Ireland's Call it's a small price to pay for having the world recognise the nation as one for a change and be actually relevant in a growing sport.
I really like that about rugby and GAA
I like watching rugby even if I wouldn't know the rules very well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Orior

Quote from: michaelg on October 01, 2019, 04:14:20 PM
Interesting that most posters are not fans of Ireland's Call.  Is that solely due to its failings as a song?  Surely there is merit in having a song that everyone either playing or spectating can identify with.

I'd prefer "Danny Boy"   aka "the arse of London"   aka "London Derrière"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: michaelg on October 01, 2019, 04:14:20 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 01, 2019, 02:34:37 PM

+1

The song isn't great, but here - just mute it or go and make a cup of tea or whatever you want. It shouldn't really spoil anyone's enjoyment of the game itself.